PDA

View Full Version : Kirk Hammet Interview

PHOENIX
04-05-2006, 11:14 AM
KIRK HAMMETT INTERVIEW
Therese Owen from the South African newspaper Tonight did an interview with Kirk when Metallica played in South Africa a few days ago. Here are some of his comments.

So how does the band maintain that chemistry and energy?
We definitely have a ritual," Kirk tells me. "We get together beforehand in one room where we just jerk off - ours, someone else's. We just jack off for about 20 minutes. Then we go through our own warm-ups, physical exercises, that kind of thing. I do yoga.

Aha, that could explain his zen energy. I ask why Metallica have chosen to play in South Africa over a week.
We've always wanted to come here but we never though black people liked our music. At the moment we are busy writing songs for an album so we had time to come out here. Plus, we get to go on safari because we have free days between the gigs!

Did Kirk ever think that 25 years later that Metallica would be a sell- out ?
I was telling James today that I think we are in it for the long haul. I can't see us stopping any time soon. When I started playing guitar I just wanted to play my guitar well now i just wanna sell lots of albums.

Growing up I loved Jimi Hendrix, Led Zepplin, Aerosmith, Kiss. I just wanted to be a great guitar player. When Metallica started we were the outlaws, the rebels. No one wanted to have anything to do with us. We were too harsh and thought of as the lowliest of the low. All those beginning years we thought we were never getting anywhere or making an impact. Then one day we woke up and it was like, 'Oh my God - we need to mellow out; so that everyone can listen to us.

And now speak to any musician in any band on planet earth who began in the last 14 years and they will cite Metallica as an inspiration. In fact, many of them learnt to play the guitar just so they could play tracks from the Black album.
It tells us we're doing something right," says Kirk.

But I know the power of inspiration. It's pretty strong and it's an honour that we have inspired so many people. I was inspired by Black Sabbath and the other day we played a tribute to Black Sabbath and the whole band were all there watching us. It felt really strange... They of course were very embarassed by the idea that we were playing their songs for them.

Mr Grimsdale
04-05-2006, 01:40 PM
Kirk's always struck me as the nice guy in that band.

Terry
04-05-2006, 03:33 PM
Hammett DOES come across as a nice guy, agreed.

Just never cared for his leads.

Metallica had some great rhythm work going on...probably some of the best in metal.

Matt White
04-05-2006, 03:42 PM
He's had his moments...when Hettfield has let him....

They lost the FIRE a LONG time ago....

Mr Grimsdale
04-05-2006, 04:05 PM
Exactly exactly.

bueno bob
04-05-2006, 05:38 PM
You notice how Metallica almost completely crashed in every aspect after 1988? And how they were working up to that complete crash since 1986?

Interesting, hmm?

Death of bass player + greed - integrity = Metallica '90/Current

Terry
04-05-2006, 07:55 PM
Thought there was some good stuff on Justice, far as post-Burton stuff went...

Just never saw the big deal with the black album. That was when Metallica really took off into the stratosphere commercially, and all of a sudden it seemed everyone was a fan and they got WAY overexposed...

Prefer to remember them opening for Ozzy in 1986, touring behind Master Of Puppets just tearing the place up and blowing Osbourne off the stage.

DlocRoth
04-06-2006, 11:03 AM
He didn't think black people liked Metallica?

So they play SOUTH Africa?

That crowd will be mostly white.

Play a free gig in Rwanda or something.

Mr Grimsdale
04-06-2006, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by DlocRoth
He didn't think black people liked Metallica?

So they play SOUTH Africa?

That crowd will be mostly white.

Play a free gig in Rwanda or something.

Exactly exactly.

Or Brixton.

BruinJer
04-06-2006, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Matt White
They lost the FIRE a LONG time ago....

If Rick Ruben can't fix that... nobody can.

BruinJer
04-06-2006, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Terry
Thought there was some good stuff on Justice, far as post-Burton stuff went...

Just never saw the big deal with the black album. That was when Metallica really took off into the stratosphere commercially, and all of a sudden it seemed everyone was a fan and they got WAY overexposed...

Prefer to remember them opening for Ozzy in 1986, touring behind Master Of Puppets just tearing the place up and blowing Osbourne off the stage.

I saw them on that same tour (in Long Beach)... yes, I agree, they blew Ozzy off the stage.

EbDawson
04-07-2006, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by chan_bkny
Is this a phony interview or was Kirk trying to be funny?

I thinbk it's a left-over April folls joke. Nobody would actually want to interview Hammett. :D

bueno bob
04-07-2006, 03:34 AM
Originally posted by chan_bkny
Now why would Kirk such a thing as "we didn't think black people liked our music?" I have seen black people and Asian people, for that matter, in the audience at Metallica shows and shows of other metal bands. Is this a phony interview or was Kirk trying to be funny?

Speaking of Metallica, has it occurred to anyone that Metallica virtually ripped off Black Sabbath note for note? For example, in the middle of "Fade To Black," the guitar part before James sings, "No one but me can save myself, but it's too late, " sounds like the intro to Sabbath's "A National Acrobat." And during the long intro to "For Whom the Bell Tolls," there's a part that sounds like "Fairies Wear Boots." I'm not blasting Metallica--I love their first four albums--but when I heard Sabbath for the first time, I realized where Metallica got their sound.

It's interesting, I hadn't really noticed the "Bell"/"Boots" correlation before you mentioned it, but after a listen it's definitely there; I wouldn't be able to say whether or not it was intentional, but yeah, the Sabbathisms are absolutely there.