PDA

View Full Version : Queensryche Gets Political on Tour

ALinChainz
04-14-2004, 10:54 PM
By John Benson

CLEVELAND (Billboard) - The current political climate spurred veteran metal band Queensryche to dedicate much of its upcoming tour to material from its 1988 concept album, "Operation: Mindcrime," and its 2003 studio set, "Tribe."

"The albums were actually written in two different time periods that have a lot of similarities," singer Geoff Tate (news) told Billboard.com. "For instance, we have this really ultra, kind of right-wing government in charge right now and the 'Mindcrime' era was this ultra right-wing Reagan era. We were at war and now we are at war again. We are in kind of the same situation again with a lot of unfinished business."

Business for Queensryche also involves the April 20 DVD release "The Art of Live," which was shot in black and white and documents the band's 2003 tour in support of "Tribe." While Queensryche's impending trek is ostensibly in support of the DVD, Tate discounted the notion of adhering to conventional music industry marketing principles. "At this point in our career, we don't think in those terms anymore, of promoting a product," he said. "We just go out and tour."

Queensryche's tour begins April 15 at Detroit's State Theater. Its lineup includes touring guitarist Mike Stone, who replaces original member Chris DeGarmo, as well as singer Pamela Moore, who played the role of Sister Mary on "Operation: Mindcrime."

For a band that is often pigeonholed into the late '80s hair-metal scene and perhaps was left in the dust of the grunge era, Tate believes Queensryche's credibility remains intact.

"It just depends on what you want to do with your life," he said. "We never looked at our career or our music as a sporting event. We're not out there competing with another band or anybody musically or monetarily. We're just writing music, playing music and traveling around and playing our music for people. And it is really a simple concept."

rustoffa
04-14-2004, 11:25 PM
That singer is underrated.

ALinChainz
04-14-2004, 11:33 PM
He can certainly belt it out. Seen them once where they had his mic turned way up, like he needs the help. Hated to see DeGarmo leave the band.

I thought Rage for Order, Mindcrime, and Empire was their best, not necessarily in that order.

FORD
04-15-2004, 12:03 AM
Hope they dumped their managment. Probably has a lot to do with why De Garmo left the band.

That would be our old friend Ray Danniels, naturally

DaveIsKing
04-15-2004, 12:34 AM
I LOVE QUEENSRYCHE. "Operation" kicked some major ass!

thebuldawg
04-15-2004, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by FORD
Hope they dumped their managment. Probably has a lot to do with why De Garmo left the band.

That would be our old friend Ray Danniels, naturally

I agree. It was a shame when De Garmo left, talent that good isn't something a band should lose.

Roy Munson
04-15-2004, 10:40 AM
I saw Jerry Cantrell on his Boggy Depot tour and DeGarmo was playing with him. THAT WAS AWESOME!

Wayne L.
04-15-2004, 03:14 PM
Queensryche is yesterday's news as well as being a highly overrated 80's rock band.

Jesus Christ
04-15-2004, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Wayne L.
Queensryche is yesterday's news as well as being a highly overrated 80's rock band.

Verily, he who listens to Van Hagar and latter day Aerosmith should not judge when a band is overrated or yesterday's news.

Thus saith the Lord :cool:

BrownSound1
04-15-2004, 04:48 PM
I like Queensryche they were a great band. I just don't get into all of the political posturing and what not. To quote an old friend of ours, "If you have a message, then use Western Union."

PhxRocker
04-16-2004, 01:46 PM
"Operation Mindcrime" was definitely Queensryche's high-water mark.

What a masterpiece of an album!

Mr Badguy
04-18-2004, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Jesus Christ
Verily, he who listens to Van Hagar and latter day Aerosmith should not judge when a band is overrated or yesterday's news.

Thus saith the Lord :cool:

Ha ha!

I think Queensryche made an excellent album in "Tribe".

I know certain fans didn`t like it but I genuinely think they are back on track after losing DeGarmo.

Their last masterpiece was "Promised land".

"Hear in the now frontier" was good but too radical to be regarded as a great Queensryche album.

"Q2K" was the sound of a confused band and was just plain poor.

I think they`ve learned from those mistakes and have found their new direction.

They deserve respect for not trying to rehash what they were doing 15 years ago, unlike most of their contemporaries.

Seshmeister
04-18-2004, 08:51 PM
I'm still playing catchup on this whole music thing.

I missed the meeting in the mid 90s I guess where it was decided that rock bands would either knuckle down to US government policies or get shit in the press.

It used to be the absolute opposite...

Cheers!

:gulp:

FORD
04-19-2004, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
I'm still playing catchup on this whole music thing.

I missed the meeting in the mid 90s I guess where it was decided that rock bands would either knuckle down to US government policies or get shit in the press.

It used to be the absolute opposite...

Cheers!

:gulp:

That's right about the same time that the music industry (at least over here) became consolidated into a small handful of mega corporations (Sony, Time Warner, Seagrams/Vivendi, EMI) and corporate radio (Viacom/Fear Channel/etc.) would soon follow.