PDA

View Full Version : China Censors The Stones.

Unchainme
04-11-2006, 06:51 PM
China censors Rolling Stones songs

SHANGHAI, China (AP) -- The Rolling Stones have been told not to perform five of their songs at their debut concert in China, but Mick Jagger said the censorship was no surprise.

"We kind of expected that. We didn't expect to come to China and not be censored," Jagger said at a news conference Friday on the eve of the band's first performance on the mainland.

Authorities objected to four songs from the band's 2002 greatest hits collection, "40 Licks," and Jagger said officials asked them not to play those, plus one new one, at the concert in Shanghai.

"Fortunately, we have 400 more songs that we can play so it's not really an issue," Jagger said

He then added, with trademark sarcasm: "I'm pleased that the Ministry of Culture is protecting the morals of the expat bankers and their girlfriends that are going to be coming" -- a reference to the largely foreign, upper-class audience expected for the concert.

An original request to alter the song list was made ahead of the band's planned 2003 China concerts that were canceled due to the outbreak of severe acute respiratory syndrome. Jagger said he'd hoped the request would be dropped, but, "then it came back."

The original four songs cut were "Brown Sugar," "Honky Tonk Woman," "Beast of Burden," and "Let's Spend the Night Together," apparently due to their suggestive lyrics.

Jagger didn't say what the new addition was, but it was believed to be "Rough Justice," the opening track of their new album, "A Bigger Bang," which includes a lyric that is a synonym for rooster.

Censorship is nothing new to the Stones, dating back to their 1967 appearance on American TV's "The Ed Sullivan Show," when the host demanded the band change the lyrics to "Let's Spend the Night Together." As ordered, Jagger sang "let's spend some time together," but he rolled his eyes for effect.

More recently, the American National Football League silenced Jagger's microphone during sexually suggestive passages of two of the three songs the band performed before an audience of 90 million television viewers at the Super Bowl halftime show in February.

"I don't have to tell you censorship exists in China, as in other places," Jagger said

Motherfuck China to say the least.

DrMaddVibe
04-11-2006, 06:53 PM
They knew going into this venture that they were going to be censured.

I'm surprised that they went!

EAT MY ASSHOLE
04-11-2006, 06:59 PM
Oh, shut up. The Stones had the last laugh - among the first tunes they played was "Bitch"!!!

How's that for a not-so-subtle "Go Fuck Yourselves!!!"?

An attempt to censor the Stones is absolutely futile...Even "Start Me Up" features the lyric (stolen from Ma Rainey, I beleive) "You could make a dead man come"...

Still, how cool would it have been if they had opened with "Cocksucker Blues"?

DrMaddVibe
04-11-2006, 08:02 PM
It's not like they needed the money and its not like they need more fans of their music. They can't "give back" to their fans by playing what they want

I'd rather hear "Stray Cat Blues" or "Star Star".

EAT MY ASSHOLE
04-11-2006, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
It's not like they needed the money and its not like they need more fans of their music. They can't "give back" to their fans by playing what they want

I'd rather hear "Stray Cat Blues" or "Star Star".

Great song choices!

As for the "why bother?", hey, maybe they simply WANTED to. It's a milestone for them, and, let's face it, for those guys, there are VERY few milestones that they have yet to accomplish.

And as jagger said, it's not like they're DESPERATE to play those songs...they have 400 others to choose from and, you know, they were probably DELIGHTED that they finally had a valid excuse not to play "Honky Tonk Woman" for the 5,000,000,000th time!!!

FORD
04-11-2006, 08:33 PM
I wonder if the Chinese government banned Chinese astrology last year as well, when it was the year of the COCK.