PDA

View Full Version : The Future Of Warfare Is Here

Hardrock69
04-13-2006, 12:35 AM
US to deploy RPG-busting 'force field'

Classified Israeli tech bound for Iraq
By Lester Haines
Published Wednesday 12th April 2006 00:02 GMT

The US is to field test an innovative Israeli set-up designed to act as a "force field" around armoured vehicles, protecting them from rocket-propelled grenades (RPGs) and anti-tank missiles, according to a Fox News report.

The system, dubbed "Trophy", uses radar to track incoming threats and then destroys them when they're in range by attacking the warheads with an "invisible force", according to Fox. Quite how it does this is, unsurprisingly, classified, but Defense Update understands Trophy is "designed to form a 'beam' of fragments, which will intercept any incoming HEAT threat, including RPG rockets at a range of 10 metres to 30 meters from the protected platform".
Click here to find out more!

The countermeasure is, then, actually physical - a fact confirmed by Defense Update, which explains the system has "an automatic reload mechanism to handle multiple attacks", although that's about as specific as it gets.

The sceptical among you should note that Trophy has allegedly completed "hundreds of live tests with the Israel Defense Forces and demonstrated effective neutralisation of anti-tank rockets and guided missiles, high safety levels, insignificant residual penetration, and minimal collateral damage".

Trophy is claimed to be effective against several simultaneous threats from different directions, whether the protected vehicle is stationary or moving, and in all weathers. According to Fox, Trophy will soon get a chance to strut its stuff in Iraq.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/04/12/trophy_system/

ULTRAMAN VH
04-13-2006, 06:28 AM
And the Avengers and the Justice League are on their way to Iraq also. Just kidding Hardrock!!! Israel is quite an innovator in the field of electronics. If I am not mistaken they are the creators of the cell phone.

knuckleboner
04-13-2006, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Hardrock69

Classified Israeli tech bound for Iraq
By Lester Haines

The sceptical among you should note that Trophy has allegedly completed "hundreds of live tests"

hilarious. "alleged" tests. oh, clealy my skeptical concerns were misplaced...

(though, fully reading it, it sounds like radar directed chaff bursts. not quite as crazy sounding.)

twonabomber
04-13-2006, 10:53 AM
shields up!

FORD
04-13-2006, 11:13 AM
Well, as Adam Sandler reminded us, both Captain Kirk and Spock were Jewish, so maybe they beamed down to Israel and shared some technology?

Mr Grimsdale
04-13-2006, 02:19 PM
what a load of bollox

as far as i'm aware theregister.co.uk is a website full of piss takes, i think they're pulling your pickle

they do a great selection of funny ebay ads

Hardrock69
04-13-2006, 04:45 PM
Uh yes, but they are a legitimate news service and post mostly actual news stories.

They do not EVEN resemble the Weekly World News.

Blackflag
04-13-2006, 04:54 PM
No offense, but I can unequivocally say that any "invisible force" aspect is bullshit.

WACF
04-13-2006, 06:20 PM
Interesting idea though...I wonder how much of it is plausable.

Reactive armour would be nice but I suppose weight is an issue with most IFV/APC vehicles.