PDA

View Full Version : Worst FAKE live song?

FORD
04-15-2004, 01:29 PM
Every once in a while, a musician or band will attempt to pass off a studio track as a live recording for a number of reasons. Often this fakery is blatantly obvious to the trained ear. Which of the songs listed was the worst attempt at this.

BTW, your personal feelings about the artist or band shouldn't neccessarily be the determining factor. I myself own all of the above records and still listen to most of them.

In fact this poll was inspired by the fact that I listened to "Diamond Dogs" on headphones just this morning.

WACF
04-15-2004, 02:02 PM
"Won't get fooled again" was a studio track???

I did not know that.
Show's how much I listened to that one.

I actually think that was one of the worst covers....ever....

FORD
04-15-2004, 02:02 PM
Vote, goddamn it. Pretend your lives depend on it (good practice for Novermber)

FORD
04-15-2004, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by WACF
"Won't get fooled again" was a studio track???

I did not know that.
Show's how much I listened to that one.

I actually think that was one of the worst covers....ever....

The version on the RHRN album is the exact same performance that Van Hagar did for MTV - in the 5150 studio. So it is technically a live performance, but not in front of an audience.

Lou
04-15-2004, 02:39 PM
I voted for other--Cheap Trick "I Want You To Want Me." I saw them open for Aerosmith last night and they were terrible. It was just a bunch of noise. It was also hilarious that the lead guitar player repeatedly tried to jump and each time he'd get about 8 inches off the ground.

FORD
04-15-2004, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Lou
I voted for other--Cheap Trick "I Want You To Want Me." I saw them open for Aerosmith last night and they were terrible. It was just a bunch of noise. It was also hilarious that the lead guitar player repeatedly tried to jump and each time he'd get about 8 inches off the ground.

Well, Rick Neilsen IS a lot older than he was in 1978. But Budokan was a real live allbum. The original studio version of that song is actually kinda cheesy.......

Lou
04-15-2004, 06:11 PM
Really? I always thought what I heard on the radio was the studio version with fake cheering. Never heard the studio version but if it's worse than the version I know than forget it. 45 minutes of them was plenty last night...hearing that didn't entice me to go out and buy any of their albums, that's for sure.

They're a great example of music that isn't classic, it's just OLD.

PHOENIX
04-15-2004, 08:41 PM
Ozzy redid his vocals on the Tribute album?

FORD
04-15-2004, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by PHOENIX
Ozzy redid his vocals on the Tribute album?

Yep. I used to have a bootleg cassette of that very show back in high school. Ozzy's vocals on this tape were all fucked up. He forgot entire verses, voice was cracking, sounded completely drunk. Randy of course was great. Aldrige as well, and Sarzo was..... well.. Sarzo .

So imagine my surprise in 1987 when the CD finally comes out, and it's blatantly obvious that the vocals have been completely re-recorded!

It's not nearly as blasphemous as what Sharon did to the two studio albums, but it's still fucking with a legitimate piece of rock n roll history. It may very well have been the only professional recording ever made of that band, though there are a couple of audience recordings floating around that aren't bad.

Sure hope the unadulterated show turns up on STG one of these days. My tape died long long ago and I'd really like to hear the real show again.

twonabomber
04-15-2004, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by Lou
Really? I always thought what I heard on the radio was the studio version with fake cheering.

no, the studio version is worse. so bad that you don't wanna waste the time DL'ing it.

chefcraig
04-16-2004, 03:09 AM
Originally posted by FORD
Yep. I used to have a bootleg cassette of that very show back in high school. Ozzy's vocals on this tape were all fucked up. He forgot entire verses, voice was cracking, sounded completely drunk. Randy of course was great. Aldrige as well, and Sarzo was..... well.. Sarzo .

So imagine my surprise in 1987 when the CD finally comes out, and it's blatantly obvious that the vocals have been completely re-recorded!

It's not nearly as blasphemous as what Sharon did to the two studio albums, but it's still fucking with a legitimate piece of rock n roll history. It may very well have been the only professional recording ever made of that band, though there are a couple of audience recordings floating around that aren't bad.

Sure hope the unadulterated show turns up on STG one of these days. My tape died long long ago and I'd really like to hear the real show again.

Jeeze...I so heartily agree about that "Tribute" deal.
I have a copy (not shittin' ya) of that particular show, right off the radio!!!

It was one of a few radio shows the band did, promoting the first record.

Agreed...the first two records are now "sonically fucked" for all history to hear...all the best to Daisly and Kerslake.

c.craig

DavidLeeNatra
04-16-2004, 06:39 AM
every KI$$-(so called) Alive-album...

Coyote
04-16-2004, 07:42 AM
As much as I hate to say it:

Thin Lizzy's "Live And Dangerous".
(75% of the album was fixed, according to some insider.)

ALMOSTsaved
04-16-2004, 08:17 AM
I saw Aerosmith and Cheap Trick a couple of weeks ago and was actually impressed by Cheap Trick.

Cheap Trick IS, in fact, classic.

As for most doctored LIVE albums I'd have to go for Peter Frampton: Frampton Comes Alive.

I love the album...and yes it's a classic. But I sincerely doubt that it's REALLY live.

ALMOSTsaved
04-16-2004, 08:25 AM
Oh and one thing that's always irked me about Ozzy LIVE shows...There are no surprises.!

He introduces EVERY FUCKING SONG! Including the opener.

"I Don't Knooooooow!"

"Alright we're gonna do Paranoid"

"This is a number about cocaine. Snowblind"

"This one's called Fairies Wear Boots"

"Climb aboard the Crazy Train"

You get my drift.

Apollo
04-16-2004, 11:28 AM

Does anybody have an mp3 copy of this show or parts of it.
I really like the tribute album and would like to hear the original sound.

BITEYOASS
04-16-2004, 12:25 PM
I'd have to say "Get your rocks off" by Def Leppard. That song would have kicked ass had it not been for the fake audience.

Mr Badguy
04-16-2004, 02:12 PM
Judas Priest "Priest...live"

Everyone talks about "Unleashed in the east" being tinkered with, but listen to some of those obviously studio enhanced background vocals and guitar fills.

If you watch "Priest...live" the video (now on the "Electic eye" DVD) the differences are glaring.

Also the whole of Aerosmith`s "A little south of sanity" CD.

RE: "Tribute":

If they released the show as it was, it would never be the classic it is regarded as today.

Great thread!

ALMOSTsaved
04-16-2004, 02:38 PM
I know this won't be of popular opinion, but my fave LIVE album is Motley Crue's Entertainment or Death.

Mr Badguy
04-16-2004, 05:55 PM
I don`t think there are that many "live" live albums unless you get bootlegs.

Even Jimi Hendrix`s live albums got edited when Alan Douglas was in charge of his estate.

And Led Zeppelin`s "How the west was won" was seriously pro-tooled.

And whenever I listen to Queensryche`s "Operation:Livecrime", I`m positive they used canned backing vocals.

If you want live, buy bootlegs.

Hecubus
04-27-2004, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by Coyote

Even so, it still sounds pretty fuckin good whilst cruisin' down the highway.....

FORD
04-27-2004, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by BITEYOASS
I'd have to say "Get your rocks off" by Def Leppard. That song would have kicked ass had it not been for the fake audience.

Forgot about that one. And "Stagefright" from Pyromania too.

DLRismydad
04-29-2004, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
every KI$$-(so called) Alive-album...

God I hate Kiss

Coyote
04-30-2004, 02:53 AM
Originally posted by Hecubus
Even so, it still sounds pretty fuckin good whilst cruisin' down the highway.....

True... so fuckin' true...:cool:

tydhurst
05-02-2004, 01:04 PM
a good live fake studio thing would be Aerosmith's Train kept a rollin' when they put the crowd cheers in the background!

Lou
05-02-2004, 01:46 PM
Also The Beatles' Sgt. Pepper/With a Little Help from my Friends was one of the best fake "live" tracks although they weren't trying to fool anyone.

Mr Badguy
05-02-2004, 06:41 PM
Rush "Exit...stage left"

Live or fake?

My heart says live but my ears say fake.

Even Alex Lifeson admitted to "studio experimentation" on that LP, but how much?

Seshmeister
06-02-2005, 09:34 PM
What a depressing thread...:(

Best not to know I think.

blueturk
06-02-2005, 10:03 PM

That insider would be Tony Visconti, the producer. But as previously stated, it's still sounds fucking great!

Terry
06-02-2005, 10:38 PM
So many official live releases have been retouched in the studio after the fact that I wouldn't even bother rating them.

If you want an unfettered live representation of your fave band without the benefit of studio 'enhancements', get a bootleg.

diamondsgirl
06-02-2005, 10:41 PM

I had no idea...I like that album

sounds legit

academic punk
06-02-2005, 10:45 PM
One of the best, funniest studio retoolings is on the Stones FLASHPOINT live album from '89, producer Chris Kimsey sampled the woman who screams out "Paint it, Black, you devils!" just before the band goes into "Sympathy for the Devil" on the GET YER YA-YA'S OUT '69 live album and inserts it in right before the band launches into "Paint It".

Inspired, subtle, hilarious. You really have to get your ears between the speakers to hear it.

blueturk
06-02-2005, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by diamondsgirl
I had no idea...I like that album

sounds legit

Find a copy of "Thin Lizzy Live And Dangerous" on VHS or DVD. It's a London concert from 1978 that was originally broadcast on BBC. No overdubs there, and it kicks ass. A great live band on a great night.

FORD
06-02-2005, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by academic punk
One of the best, funniest studio retoolings is on the Stones FLASHPOINT live album from '89, producer Chris Kimsey sampled the woman who screams out "Paint it, Black, you devils!" just before the band goes into "Sympathy for the Devil" on the GET YER YA-YA'S OUT '69 live album and inserts it in right before the band launches into "Paint It".

Inspired, subtle, hilarious. You really have to get your ears between the speakers to hear it.

Yeah, I noticed that first time I heard it, since it obviously wasn't in any Stones boots from that tour.

Now what I'd really like to hear, and the Stones were rumored to be working on this at one point, is an extended version of "Get Yer Ya-Yas Out" using the entire MSG show from that tour. The entire recording obviously exists, and I've heard a few songs that aren't on the original album, but so far I haven't seen the entire thing offered in one piece, even in a bootleg form.

academic punk
06-02-2005, 11:35 PM
Yeah, I noticed that first time I heard it, since it obviously wasn't in any Stones boots from that tour.

Now what I'd really like to hear, and the Stones were rumored to be working on this at one point, is an extended version of "Get Yer Ya-Yas Out" using the entire MSG show from that tour. The entire recording obviously exists, and I've heard a few songs that aren't on the original album, but so far I haven't seen the entire thing offered in one piece, even in a bootleg form.

Oh, and with the opening acts and all!

The 69 tour had - at different points - BB King, Chuck Berry, Ike and Tina Turner, Bukka White, and I think even Lightnin' Hopkins. You could make one of the greatest live albums of all time just with the opening acts from that tour!

Imagine bands giving opeing acts of that quality today? Forget it!

FORD
06-03-2005, 02:23 AM
Oh, and with the opening acts and all!

The 69 tour had - at different points - BB King, Chuck Berry, Ike and Tina Turner, Bukka White, and I think even Lightnin' Hopkins. You could make one of the greatest live albums of all time just with the opening acts from that tour!

Imagine bands giving opeing acts of that quality today? Forget it!

Not to mention a certain show in December when they had the Airplane and the Dead opening for them. But they're trying to forget that concert :(

MAX
06-03-2005, 02:51 AM
What about KI$$ ALIVE?

I fucking LOVE that album but over the years, I've heard that it's extremely doctored?

Mr Badguy
06-03-2005, 07:53 AM
Anybody got W.A.S.P. "Live...in the raw"?

I was listening to it the other day and it`s about as live in the raw as a Def Leppard album.

ALMOSTsaved
06-03-2005, 08:00 AM
"Tomorrow And Tonight" from KISS ALIVE II.

Yes we all know that the KISS "Alive" albums were studio doctored.

However, this particular song sucked supremely in studio form on the "Love Gun album.

So what does Simmons and Stanley do for the "ALIVE II" version?

They completely doctor it to the point of turning the audience noise up louder 5 seconds into the song, to make it sound as if it were the tune the crowd had waited in anticipation for...

academic punk
06-03-2005, 01:43 PM
Not to mention a certain show in December when they had the Airplane and the Dead opening for them. But they're trying to forget that concert :(

actually, the Dead didn't even show up. There's footage in the Maysles film of Garcia and the band getting the news that Hells Angels had just knocked out Marty Balin of ther Airplane and were beating people up.

Garcia's reaction? "Bummer."

I believe Santana was there, as was CSN and the Flying Burrito Brothers.

Big Fat Sammy
06-03-2005, 01:50 PM

Thats the FIRST THING THAT CAME to mind when I saw the title of this thread! :D

That always irritated me.. that album is highly doctored in the music too, I believe.

Soul Reaper
06-03-2005, 02:04 PM
not a studio song, but Ashlee Simpson tried to lip synch her own songs live once, and failed. I laughed my ass off when I heard about that. It got her into trouble and a petition was made to stop her from making music.

I'm sure you guys know about it.

Soul Reaper
06-03-2005, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Soul Reaper
not a studio song, but Ashlee Simpson tried to lip synch her own songs live once, and failed. I laughed my ass off when I heard about that. It got her into trouble and a petition was made to stop her from making music.

I'm sure you guys know about it.

well, that's fake.

WACF
06-03-2005, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Mr Badguy
Rush "Exit...stage left"

Live or fake?

My heart says live but my ears say fake.

Even Alex Lifeson admitted to "studio experimentation" on that LP, but how much?

Say it isn't so!

Depressing thread is right!

hollywood5150
06-03-2005, 05:12 PM
anything by boston or sammy hagar

bigc
06-03-2005, 08:04 PM
live at wembley stadium by queen sounds legit,i mean freddie seems alot weaker vocally,but seems live.

academic punk
06-03-2005, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by hollywood5150
anything by boston or sammy hagar

Oh, yeah, Boston's "Rock and Roll Band" is some cheesy shit, with the audience plugged in.

Springsteen's "Sherry Darling" actually works for me. Also Neil Young's "Rust Never Sleeps" sounds great.

Mr Badguy
06-04-2005, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by ALMOSTsaved
"Tomorrow And Tonight" from KISS ALIVE II.

Yes we all know that the KISS "Alive" albums were studio doctored.

However, this particular song sucked supremely in studio form on the "Love Gun album.

So what does Simmons and Stanley do for the "ALIVE II" version?

They completely doctor it to the point of turning the audience noise up louder 5 seconds into the song, to make it sound as if it were the tune the crowd had waited in anticipation for...

You think that`s bad?

According to the book "Kiss alive forever", "Tomorrow and tonight" was never EVER played at any concert Kiss performed, according to research done on set lists from the tours of that era.

Neither was "Two timer" which appeared as an "Alive!" outtake on the "You wanted the best" compilation.

That shows you how fake it can get.

I still love those two albums, though.

ALMOSTsaved
06-04-2005, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by Mr Badguy
You think that`s bad?

According to the book "Kiss alive forever", "Tomorrow and tonight" was never EVER played at any concert Kiss performed, according to research done on set lists from the tours of that era.

Neither was "Two timer" which appeared as an "Alive!" outtake on the "You wanted the best" compilation.

That shows you how fake it can get.

I still love those two albums, though.

I like the albums too. Not to mention I have that book as well. However, I didn't realize that neither "Tomorrow and Tonight" nor "Two Timer" had ever been played live.

I guess that makes my worst fake live song pick of "Tomorrow and Tonight" totally legit! :D

Mr Badguy
06-04-2005, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by ALMOSTsaved
I like the albums too. Not to mention I have that book as well. However, I didn't realize that neither "Tomorrow and Tonight" nor "Two Timer" had ever been played live.

Yeah, it`s at the back where they list all the songs Kiss have ever played in concert.

You`ll also notice how static their live show has been, with a core of songs that are always in the set for every tour.

Shaun Ponsonby
06-05-2005, 08:23 AM
Stairway To Heaven.

I tells you why.

Its a studio track. Its not a song that sounds good live. Good song, but Plant couldn't really do it live, and, a good a guitarist as he was/is-Page is often out of time when he is/was playing.

Soul Reaper
06-05-2005, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby
Stairway To Heaven.

I tells you why.

Its a studio track. Its not a song that sounds good live. Good song, but Plant couldn't really do it live, and, a good a guitarist as he was/is-Page is often out of time when he is/was playing.

I thought it sounded really good on that recent DVD

Shaun Ponsonby
06-05-2005, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by bigc
live at wembley stadium by queen sounds legit,i mean freddie seems alot weaker vocally,but seems live.

Wouldn't say that he sounds THAT much weaker.

Listen again to his little "DEE-DOH" bit after 'A Kind Of Magic'. Hes lost some range and power because he was nearly 40 at the time, but other than that, he sounds great. You've also got to remember that he knew (not officially) what he was going to be dealing with.

Shaun Ponsonby
06-05-2005, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by Soul Reaper
I thought it sounded really good on that recent DVD

Sometimes, yes, it did sound good, but on, say, 'Song Remains The Same', for example, now that IS bad.

Soul Reaper
06-05-2005, 08:29 AM
Sometimes, yes, it did sound good, but on, say, 'Song Remains The Same', for example, now that IS bad.

that DVD looks bizarre.

strange monsters getting their heads blown off by something.

Shaun Ponsonby
06-05-2005, 08:33 AM
Indeed.

Soul Reaper
06-05-2005, 08:36 AM
I saw Mark Knopfler yesterday.

Very very good and enjoyable.

Knopfler's playing was beautiful

Shaun Ponsonby
06-05-2005, 09:19 AM
Don't mind him, but some of Dire Straits' videos were awful (ie-Romeo & Juliet/Tunnel Of Love) and I can't listen to him without thinking of those videos.

I went to see Yngwie Malmsteen on Friday. Fuck, he's fat. With an ego.
He took a while getting on stage. I could see him backstage eating 4553 KFC variety buckets, and his manager takes some off him and says "Any more and you'll have a heart attack", so he starts crying and throwing things round. He weeps in the corner saying "I'm not going on til I've had my CHICKEN!!".

This is how my mind works.

Soul Reaper
06-05-2005, 09:44 AM
I went to see Yngwie Malmsteen on Friday. Fuck, he's fat. With an ego.
He took a while getting on stage. I could see him backstage eating 4553 KFC variety buckets, and his manager takes some off him and says "Any more and you'll have a heart attack", so he starts crying and throwing things round. He weeps in the corner saying "I'm not going on til I've had my CHICKEN!!".

This is how my mind works.

LOL!!!

you saw Yngwie...COOL!!

fe_lung
06-05-2005, 10:12 AM

In fact this poll was inspired by the fact that I listened to "Diamond Dogs" on headphones just this morning.

There was something about this in Blender this month. Said that the crowd noise was lifted from a Rod Stewart record....

fe_lung
06-05-2005, 10:14 AM
I'm going to go with the "live" version of A Sort Of Homecoming on U2's Wide Awake in America. Also, the version of All Along The Watchtower in the Rattle & Hum movie which has the "rock and roll stops the traffic" bit spliced in....

Satan
06-05-2005, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by fe_lung
I'm going to go with the "live" version of A Sort Of Homecoming on U2's Wide Awake in America. Also, the version of All Along The Watchtower in the Rattle & Hum movie which has the "rock and roll stops the traffic" bit spliced in....

"Sort of Homecoming" is live as far as I know, because it sounds pretty much the same on bootlegs of that tour.

"All Along The Watchtower" was enhanced greatly. Bono actually did his grafitti art during the performance of "Pride (In The Name of Love)" at that show. But the real studio trickery on that one is that Edge pretty much overdubbed his entire guitar track on that song. He only had about 2 days to learn "All Along The Watchtower" and wasn't happy with the way it sounded on the original tape. Which was partly his feelings about his own performance of the sound, and partially the fact that the band wasn't working on their own equipment that day.

The concert was literally thrown together at a moment's notice in downtown San Francisco, so U2 didn't have their own stuff. They borrowed the Grateful Dead's sound system and as you can hear on the actual recording of the show, Edge's guitar tone is off a little through out the entire perfomance. Not his playing, just the fact that it's Jerry Garcia's rig and not his.

If you have heard the Zero Demos, it's kinda like that. Have Van HALEN play on KISS equipment, and they still sound like Van HALEN, but yet not 666% their sound.

I love the show my Most Unholy self because among the numerous 87 tour boots that are out there, it's unique for all the reasons described. But yes, that one did go under the knife quite a bit for the movie.

Vinnie Velvet
06-06-2005, 03:28 PM

Interesting.

Never knew that.

Thanks, FORD!:)

wombattt
06-07-2005, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by Lou

They're a great example of music that isn't classic, it's just OLD.

I can think of alot of bands that fit that description