PDA

View Full Version : Which Producer has ruined the most bands?

WARF
04-16-2006, 11:16 PM
List them here!!!

Matt White
04-16-2006, 11:18 PM
BOB ROCK

Douglas T.
04-16-2006, 11:20 PM
Some Kind of Monster! Majority rules BOB ROCK!

If you listen to fools ...the MOB RULES!

WARF
04-16-2006, 11:21 PM
Yeah... David Lee Roth... Motley Crue... Shitallica...

WARF
04-16-2006, 11:22 PM
Mutt Lange?

Hardrock69
04-16-2006, 11:39 PM
Well I will say Mutt Lange with one exception...any of the AC/DC albums he has produced. Hightway To Hell & Back In Black.

Aside from that, he has sucked the life out of every thing he has touched.

Bob Rock has destroyed everything he has touched as well.

Matt White
04-16-2006, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by WARF
Mutt Lange?

Yup...with the obvious exception being AC/DC...

I remember ANGUS saying once..."Yeah. Could you imagine Mutt barking at Bon the way he did Joe Elliott?!? He'd have been missing teeth."

FORD
04-17-2006, 12:35 AM
Phil Spector.

His early 60's sound may have broken new ground and inspired Brian Wilson, and props to him for that.

But what he did to "Let It Be" and "End of the Century" is unforgivable.

And now he's a psycho killer.

Redballjets88
04-17-2006, 12:36 AM
don landee work with vhagar its gay

FORD
04-17-2006, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by Redballjets88
don landee work with vhagar its gay

Don Landee was a good engineer, but not a producer. Some people can translate from one job to the other and some can't.

One who could make that transition was Andy Johns, who learned well from his brother Glyn. Which is why the only Van Hagar album with decent production was "F.U.C.K."

Unfortunately, even good production can't do a thing for Spam Hagar's lyrics.

Redballjets88
04-17-2006, 01:04 AM
yeah i think landee couldnt help sucking...between eddies love f synthesizers and spammys gayness its hard to cut a good album

Mr Badguy
04-17-2006, 04:59 AM
Steve Harris.

He co-produced "Fear of the dark" then took over for everything, including live albums and videos, up until Kevin Shirley took over.

Flat sound, no crunch on the guitars, "The X factor" etc.

Bass playing legend, yes, but no producer.

Don Corleone
04-17-2006, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by FORD
Phil Spector.

His early 60's sound may have broken new ground and inspired Brian Wilson, and props to him for that.

I totally agree with you. What Phil Spector to Let it Be was unforgivable.

sadaist
04-17-2006, 06:29 AM
Bob Rock. He ruined Metallica. Well, that and the almighty dollar. I remember an interview where they were asked if they were sellouts. Their reply..."every concert, every night". How fucking weak is that? Master of Puppets is still awesome though.

Mr Badguy
04-17-2006, 08:31 AM
Bruce Fairbairn.

Some of his stuff is awesome, like "Aerosmith`s "Pump", but before he died he made some right shitters.

"Psycho circus" by Kiss is horrible and the instruments on Yes "The Ladder" sound horribly artificial, although a lot of the songs are excellent.

EAT MY ASSHOLE
04-17-2006, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by FORD
Phil Spector.

Amen. He was the greatest producer of his time. Unfortunately, his time ended circa 1966.

(then again, Imagine and All Things Must Pass are both great stuff...but what he did to Lenoard Cohen and the Ramones makes me shiver...)

WACF
04-17-2006, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Mr Badguy
Steve Harris.

He co-produced "Fear of the dark" then took over for everything, including live albums and videos, up until Kevin Shirley took over.

Flat sound, no crunch on the guitars, "The X factor" etc.

Bass playing legend, yes, but no producer.

Very good choice.

Shirley from what I have read pretty much does what Harris wants...therefore the suckiness persists.
They need someone that will tell Steve to back off...then watch some magic come back.

DavidLeeNatra
04-17-2006, 12:08 PM
david lee roth on skyscraper...call me blasphemic but the man lost its way on that...I'd love to hear the "raw" version billy sheehan talked about.

ALAE is my favorite album, so why should I blame the producer for that one?

Jérôme Frenchise
04-17-2006, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
david lee roth on skyscraper...call me blasphemic but the man lost its way on that...I'd love to hear the "raw" version billy sheehan talked about.

ALAE is my favorite album, so why should I blame the producer for that one?

I agree on both points.

fe_lung
04-17-2006, 05:17 PM
Stave Albini - hands down the worst producer on the planet.

Terry
04-17-2006, 09:10 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by FORD
Don Landee was a good engineer, but not a producer. Some people can translate from one job to the other and some can't.

One who could make that transition was Andy Johns, who learned well from his brother Glyn. Which is why the only Van Hagar album with decent production was "F.U.C.K."

Unfortunately, even good production can't do a thing for Spam Hagar's lyrics. [/QUOTE

Read in an EVH interview that Ted Templeman co-produced F*U*C*K8 as well...

Terry
04-17-2006, 09:14 PM
Rock, who seems to take the songwriting-by-record-company-consensus to heart (wasn't all that thrilled with how ALAE SOUNDED in spots).

Lange did good work with AC/DC, but the stuff he did with Leppard sounded WAY overproduced, with the exception of High N' Dry.

Terry
04-17-2006, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by Terry
[QUOTE]Originally posted by FORD

Unfortunately, even good production can't do a thing for Spam Hagar's lyrics. [/QUOTE

Read in an EVH interview that Ted Templeman co-produced F*U*C*K* as well...

Terry
04-17-2006, 09:19 PM
Think a special mention has to be made for EVH's work on Van Halen 3, which was one of the worst sounding rock albums by a major band PERIOD, never mind just in terms of Van Halen.

Dude named Mike Post produced it along with him, and some of the shit on that album sounds like it was recorded on a frickin' boom box.

Fairbairn blew on Psycho Circus, agreed. Balance, weak as the songs were, SOUNDED decent, and he did a great job with Pump, agreed.

stringfelowhawk
Next there's gonna be a worst lyricist thread where Hagar will win by a landslide over Diane Warren and Desmond Child.

Terry
Also Ron Nevison for the Ultimate Sin...

That sounded frickin' terrible.

Terry
04-17-2006, 09:20 PM

FORD
04-17-2006, 09:22 PM
Mike Post was a TV theme song composer. Pretty much every hit TV series of the late 70's & early 80's - Rockford Files, Hill Street Blues, Magnum PI, etc.

Good at what he did, but again that doesn't translate to producer. And obviously VDIII proved that.

mako_kimura
05-27-2006, 09:41 PM
I'm stuck between Bob Rock and Bruce Fairburn

ElPatron
05-27-2006, 09:51 PM
Sharon Osbourne.

Flash Bastard
05-27-2006, 10:02 PM

That's for fucking sure, Terry.

Nevison had the best intentions but everyone involved in that abortion deserves to be beaten to death with a bent coathanger.

Flash Bastard
05-27-2006, 10:05 PM

Everyone involved in the production of that abortion needs to be anally raped with a bent coathanger.

No wonder it's been deleted from the catalouge.

Flash Bastard
05-27-2006, 10:06 PM

Everyone involved in the production of that abortion needs to be anally raped with a rusty coathanger.

No wonder it's been deleted from the catalouge.

Flash Bastard
05-27-2006, 10:10 PM
uh huhuh huhuhuhuh huhuhuh huh.

Whoops!

Mods? A little help here.

PumpedUpMidget
05-27-2006, 10:32 PM
Fairbairn, Mick Jones, Glen Ballard, and with a name like Desmond Child, you know he is a candy ass.

Flash Bastard
05-27-2006, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by PumpedUpMidget
and with a name like Desmond Child, you know he is a candy ass.

Word. :lol:

There's a fiver.

Shaun Ponsonby
05-28-2006, 02:25 PM
BOB ROCK

binnie
05-28-2006, 02:31 PM
I would say Phil Specter.

I agree with Bob Rock does suck the life out of bands, he seems to make very poilished albums.

I have always thought of him as a great engineer, and a very good mixer.

However, "The Black Album" is one of the best sounding metal albums, IMO.

binnie
05-28-2006, 02:33 PM
Also Ross Robinson, who seems to have next to no awareness of sound!

He gets great performances but ruins the production IMO, as he usually makes the guitar sound piss weak.

Only exception that springs to mind is Sepultura "Roots"