PDA

View Full Version : Concert review: Aerosmith, Philadelphia 4/14/04

Lou
04-15-2004, 06:26 PM
Cheap Trick opened, terrible. 45 minutes of noise. Enough of them.

Overall the Aerosmith show was very good. They take a lot of heat around here and deservedly so, I can't stand any of their music since they've been sober, and they're sellouts in just about every sense of the word. Nevertheless, I do love their '70s stuff, first five albums kick ass in my opinion especially "Rocks." Tix weren't terrible, $43 apiece including the surcharges. A bit high up but a nice clear view of the entire stage.

The beginning of the show was among the coolest I've ever seen. It was a typical stage setup with a main stage, runways on either side, and a runway that jutted out to the center of the crowd and a small stage at the end of that. Well they entered from a side door on the arena floor and walked through the crowd, and then began the show on the small stage at the end of the runway! I don't even remember, but I think roadies just brought out another drum kit for Joey Kramer, so the 5 of them were all together on the runway. Opened with "Toys In The Attic," then went to "Love in an Elevator." After those two they went to the main stage and did "Back In The Saddle," "The Other Side," and "Cryin'." While I'm not a fan of the post-drugs stuff, it was overall a great beginning, crowd was pumped and everything. Played great. Then I don't remember all the songs in the middle, but I was a little disappointed because they must have played 5 or 6 blues songs in total, including an obligatory song where Joe Perry sings. I was hoping for more '70s stuff but I guess I have to realize that it's just not gonna be the way it was 25 years ago. They did however play "Lord Of the Thighs" and "Draw The Line" which was cool, those are two of my favorite songs. They played the obligatory "Dream On," "Walk This Way," and "Sweet Emotion"--my friend who's seen 10 Aerosmith concerts has told me that they never do a concert without doing those three. Unfortunately for the first encore they did "I Don't Wanna Miss a Thing" which I abhor. They didn't do that when I saw them in Hershey and I hope they wouldn't do it, but they did. They ended on an upbeat note with the classic "Train Kept A Rollin'" and confetti went off and everything. Towards the end of that there was a fist fight right above me, I don't know what that was about but hopefully those white trash morons got what they deserved.

So overall, I enjoyed it, especially the beginning which was terrific. I wish they hadn't done some of the songs they did but it was still very good, and it sure beats the shit out of Van Hagar which I ain't seeing.

ALMOSTsaved
04-19-2004, 09:08 PM
I saw 'em in Biloxi on March 27. Here's a pic of them on the catwalk stage performing, "Toys In The Attic."

Lou
04-19-2004, 09:59 PM
Was that not the coolest entrance? I've never seen anything like that. Especially a second drum kit just kinda coming out of nowhere.

diamondD
04-19-2004, 10:06 PM
You got lucky. They didn't play either Lord of the Thighs or Draw the Line a month ago.

ALMOSTsaved
04-19-2004, 10:21 PM
They did the same thing at the New Orleans show I attended in 2002. Yeah it was a great entrance.

They didn't play "Thighs" or "Line"...but they DID play "Come Together"...

Very cool indeed.

Lou
04-19-2004, 10:58 PM
Yeah they didn't do that entrance at Hershey 8/31/03, I guess because it was in an outdoor stadium.

I guess I should be thankful for hearing "Thighs." I was really hoping to hear "Seasons of Wither" and "Last Child" but as I said, I can't expect them to do a show of 75% '70s songs.

rustoffa
04-20-2004, 12:03 AM
I like the old Aerosmith stuff, but Cheap Trick is way better than what you probably saw.

Lou
04-20-2004, 12:16 AM
I'm telling you, what I heard was horrible noise. The mixing was crap and maybe that contributed to it, but it was just noise to my ears, except for some pussy ballad towards the end of their 45 minute set.

thefive
04-20-2004, 01:04 AM
Who is Sammy Hagar?

Sarge's Little Helper
04-20-2004, 01:04 AM
Who is Sammy Hagar?

David Lee Roth says that Sammy Hagar is a bridge drone troll. I think he is a complete whiney bitch who is deathly afraid of the success that Classic Van Halen had that he could never live up to. Bluntly put he is just an old angry man who lives in a delusional fantasy world in which Van Hagar sold 20 million more albums than Classic Van Halen. Every time he talks he utters nothing but lies and sounds like a sack of assholes. Sarge told me that Bette Midler and Sammy Hagar are the same person. For a laugh please ask me who Bette Midler is. Thanks for your time. ..

Chaz Rock City
04-20-2004, 01:39 AM
Last time I saw Aerosmith, they had just been put in their place by Kiss. I used to be a big Aerosmith fan: they're dead to me now!

ALMOSTsaved
04-20-2004, 12:48 PM
Even though I prefer 70s Aerosmith, I love seeing them LIVE. I've yet to be disappointed.

"Seasons Of Wither" is the quintessential Aero song!

I enjoyed Cheap Trick...but the sound was shit here too.

Here's another pic I took in Biloxi on March 27!

Lou
04-20-2004, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Chaz Rock City
Last time I saw Aerosmith, they had just been put in their place by Kiss. I used to be a big Aerosmith fan: they're dead to me now!

I saw the Aerosmith/KISS tour last year, Hershey 8/31/03 and I thought KISS was far and away the worst act I've ever seen. Worse than Cheap Trick, worse than Slash's Snakepit. And I mean that. In my opinion they were fucking bozos up there. The whole thing was painful.

David Lee Rocks
04-20-2004, 07:09 PM
Im gonna see Aero/Trick is Dallas on 6-2-04, cant wait!!

Panamark
04-21-2004, 07:09 AM
Steven Tyler has some serious ear plugs happening there..

Golden AWe
04-21-2004, 07:59 AM
"I don't wanna miss one smile, I don't wanna miss one kiss...2

I get that irritating feeling every time I hear the song - I also love the 70's stuff, like some of the non-drugs stuff, but that Armageddon-song is fucking lame excuse even for a cheesy ballad.

Thanks for the review, Lou!

ALMOSTsaved
04-21-2004, 08:14 AM
I wish just once they would play "Comination."

ALMOSTsaved
04-21-2004, 08:24 AM
Oops! "Combination."

tydhurst
04-21-2004, 05:42 PM
Can you imagine if they layed BRIGHT LIGHT FRIGHT? Can you imagine how many people would leave!

ALMOSTsaved
04-21-2004, 05:45 PM
"Draw The Line" is Aerosmith's "OU812"...I can hardly stand even listening to it.

Lou
04-21-2004, 08:05 PM
Are you serious?

"Draw The Line," "Kings and Queens," "Sight for Sore Eyes," "Get it Up"--those are all great songs!

ALMOSTsaved
04-21-2004, 08:33 PM
Yeah, man. Unfortunately, I'm serious.

I've got the album on both CD and vinyl.

Yes, you are correct, "Kings & Queens" is a fucking phenomenal song...and "Sight For Sore Eyes" is too..

But God, it was such a weak follow up to "Rocks."

To me, even "Night In The Ruts" is a bettter album. And Joe only played on 3 cuts.

Lou
04-23-2004, 01:14 AM
BTW I forgot about "Combination," wow that's a good song.

Damn I love old-school Aerosmith, when it was just straightforward, no nonsense rock and roll.

ALMOSTsaved
04-23-2004, 02:25 PM
Too me, nothing sounds better than "Rocks" on vinyl. It's like fucking time travel. Oh, I forgot to mention that fuck yeah "Draw The Line" the song is phenomenal.

One thing I noticed about that album is it's not very bass heavy. "ROCKS" had Tom Hamilton all over it!

ALMOSTsaved
04-23-2004, 02:26 PM
VH II is also great on vinyl. The cassette was crap. The remastered CD sounds like the vinyl and I've always been pleased with it.