PDA

View Full Version : What kids should be shown on TV!

Jérôme Frenchise
04-17-2006, 01:21 PM
My beloved little sister has just sent me this link to this real kickass video (she says there are dozens of the same stuff out there, I'm going to check it out)...

http://www.htf.free.fr/episodes/flash/04.htm

It makes me think of the famous "Itchy & Scratchy show" in "The Simpsons".

:D

Dave's Bitch
04-17-2006, 01:23 PM
lol i saw that show a few times and its like INSANE.very violent

Ally_Kat
04-17-2006, 01:33 PM
Happy Tree Friends is a show that started as internet clips. It has never been made or targeted for children. This is why it's on G4 and not Cartoon Network.

Jérôme Frenchise
04-17-2006, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Dave's Bitch
its like INSANE.very violent

Not so violent - at least the one which link I posted. I still have to watch the rest.

Originally posted by Ally_Kat
Happy Tree Friends is a show that started as internet clips. It has never been made or targeted for children. This is why it's on G4 and not Cartoon Network.

I just hope certain parents are wise enough to show those vids to their kids... I would personally have been delighted to see them back when I was a kid; I don't think I would have slaughtered my family with some chainsaw because of that. :D
If I were the father of a 7-year-old kid, I think I would keep him/her from those pussy cartoons that have always been broadcast for children... I would keep to myself and his/her mother the task that consists in telling him/her where good and bad stand. Laughter will not harm as long as things are clear in your head. :)
For that matter, Tex Avery was an outstanding cartoonist - well, who doesn't know that he was - though his cartoons aimed at a grown-up audience; I remember my little sister who never got her kicks with anything more than Tex Avery even back when she was 5 years old... That was something to be seen, really... :D I played the original versions for her, she couldn't read (the subtitles) yet, but she'd sing the songs along with the wolf's pin-up phonetically... As for the plots and morales, well, she was aware of what was going on - but she never turned into a psychopath. :D
Well, OK, on htf.free you'll get another kind of stuff; but I really think that kids are smarter as far as the essence of things than is usually assumed. Let's just remember who we used to be back in our early childhoods. :cool:

Ally_Kat
04-17-2006, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise
Not so violent - at least the one which link I posted. I still have to watch the rest.

I just hope certain parents are wise enough to show those vids to their kids... I would personally have been delighted to see them back when I was a kid; I don't think I would have slaughtered my family with some chainsaw because of that. :D
If I were the father of a 7-year-old kid, I think I would keep him/her from those pussy cartoons that have always been broadcast for children... I would keep to myself and his/her mother the task that consists in telling him/her where good and bad stand. Laughter will not harm as long as things are clear in your head. :)
For that matter, Tex Avery was an outstanding cartoonist - well, who doesn't know that he was - though his cartoons aimed at a grown-up audience; I remember my little sister who never got her kicks with anything more than Tex Avery even back when she was 5 years old... That was something to be seen, really... :D I played the original versions for her, she couldn't read (the subtitles) yet, but she'd sing the songs along with the wolf's pin-up phonetically... As for the plots and morales, well, she was aware of what was going on - but she never turned into a psychopath. :D
Well, OK, on htf.free you'll get another kind of stuff; but I really think that kids are smarter as far as the essence of things than is usually assumed. Let's just remember who we used to be back in our early childhoods. :cool:

Don't send your 7-year-old kid to my class then! Kids that age do imitate and I have enough on my hands breaking up the wrestling moves. Had one boy throw a chair across the room the other day.

Jérôme Frenchise
04-17-2006, 04:32 PM
Don't send your 7-year-old kid to my class then! Kids that age do imitate and I have enough on my hands breaking up the wrestling moves. Had one boy throw a chair across the room the other day.

I would send you nobody but angels if I had to fill your classroom. :)

That kid must have seen furniture fly across the living room his own home... Don't blame it on the cartoons he saw... He's sure seen Bernard & Bianca by the way.
That kid can be shown all the Snow Whites and Lion Kings you want, but he'll still behave like mad as long as his parents will throw shit at themselves when he can see them do it.
Every kid knows where to put cartoons in general. :cool:

Ally_Kat
04-17-2006, 07:19 PM
I would send you nobody but angels if I had to fill your classroom. :)

That kid must have seen furniture fly across the living room his own home... Don't blame it on the cartoons he saw... He's sure seen Bernard & Bianca by the way.
That kid can be shown all the Snow Whites and Lion Kings you want, but he'll still behave like mad as long as his parents will throw shit at themselves when he can see them do it.
Every kid knows where to put cartoons in general. :cool:

By April, I know the kids I work with and I pretty much know how much their parents get involved. And I know that my 6- and 7-year-old boys who watch the WWE religiously like to throw down on each other and do the chair attacks. And I know the girls that are allowed to listen to the radio with no guidance have a pretty colorful language and see no reason why they can't talk like Lil Jon in the classroom.

Younger children do need to be limited in what they watch/hear. Young children do not know where to put cartoons in general and it depends were they are developmentally if they are able to or not. That's why I've always been big into guidance. I don't want Timmy doing holds on Kevin hurting his neck and then his mother going to me, "he does that at home and we can't get him to stop" only to find out he sits and watched wrestling anytime he can.

FORD
04-17-2006, 07:26 PM
That cartoon was almost as disturbing as South Park's "Woodland Critter Christmas" episode.

http://tinypic.com/j7ypnq.jpg

Jérôme Frenchise
04-18-2006, 12:09 PM
By April, I know the kids I work with and I pretty much know how much their parents get involved. And I know that my 6- and 7-year-old boys who watch the WWE religiously like to throw down on each other and do the chair attacks. And I know the girls that are allowed to listen to the radio with no guidance have a pretty colorful language and see no reason why they can't talk like Lil Jon in the classroom.

Younger children do need to be limited in what they watch/hear. Young children do not know where to put cartoons in general and it depends were they are developmentally if they are able to or not. That's why I've always been big into guidance. I don't want Timmy doing holds on Kevin hurting his neck and then his mother going to me, "he does that at home and we can't get him to stop" only to find out he sits and watched wrestling anytime he can.

All right. The key-word here is "guidance". I think that kids could be shown a lot of things, including violence, as long as their mom and/or dad set the limits and will say "Now this is just entertainment, life is not about that at all". Children who are left on their own with a choice of dozens and dozens of channels will miss landmarks, with those parents of theirs who fail to play their roles.
Then violence on TV and certain video games can be a plague, but the real problem basically lies in parents' resignations. Those unfortunate kids have to find some ersatz for that physical and/or moral absence, and they'll just get some where they can. :(

bueno bob
04-18-2006, 12:58 PM
I quit emulating cartoons when I was 3. I got my ass beat - HARD - because I thought my dad would look to some imaginary TV screen and shrug after I stuck my tongue out at him (he had told me not to in the direction I was going - which was towards the street).

It was, after all, what they did in the cartoons.

After that, we didn't have any misconceptions about what cartoons were. Go figure.

Jérôme Frenchise
04-18-2006, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by bueno bob
It was, after all, what they did in the cartoons.

After that, we didn't have any misconceptions about what cartoons were. Go figure.

Yeah, go figure... But you had a smart father at your side, who was not there only physically.
A few words and some presence, someone to talk to and listen to. Just what so many kids lack, those who are asked to shut up and watch the goddamn telly... :(

Hardrock69
04-19-2006, 01:59 AM
What kids should be shown on TV!

Well I dunno....regular kids I guess.....

I mean unless you want to show some kinda special kids on TV. But it is up to you....whatever floats your boat.

I would think it would be preferrable for the networks to show happy kids on TV.

:cool:

Jérôme Frenchise
04-19-2006, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by Hardrock69

Those who have regular parents...

I mean unless you want to show some kinda special kids on TV. But it is up to you....whatever floats your boat.

I would think it would be preferrable for the networks to show happy kids on TV.

I agree! Like those we were shown back in the good old days.

Or the stellar Muppet Show! What crap do they show nowadays kids? :cool:

ULTRAMAN VH
04-19-2006, 07:57 AM
I grew up watching Looney Tunes, Speed Racer, Marine Boy and of course Ultraman. These shows were pretty violent for a 5 year old. You had the Coyote taking a beating from Road Runner. Ultraman was beating the living snot out of 40 foot monsters with the use of flying saw blades and blasting them to bits with lasers. And lets not forget the violent car crashes that Speed Racer supplied every afternoon. Yes my friends mimicked this behavior out in the neighborhood, but you learned real quick that playing Speed Racer with your Big Wheel can bring a certain amount of pain to your body that brings a dose of well needed reality. Then their is the parent bringing comfort and saying I told you so. I think their is a balance that needs to be adhered to. Kids should have the freedom to express their imaginations, but the parents should be their to guide that imagination and monitor what their kids are watching. Children need attention and it is sad today because parents seem to be caught up in their jobs, keeping up with the Jone's or doing drugs.

ashstralia
04-19-2006, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by Hardrock69

eheheheheh.... :)

Hardrock69
04-19-2006, 12:51 PM
I mean, Joe Thudner probably shows kids who are being pedophilized.....

Of course what kinda kids he wants to show on TV are not the kinda kids we are interested in watching.....