PDA

View Full Version : Jose Mod

nitro
04-17-2006, 03:10 PM
Hello everyone do any of you remember when dave talked about the jose arredondo mod that was done to eddies marshall amp.

Redballjets88
04-17-2006, 03:12 PM
no

sagebrush
04-17-2006, 04:20 PM
?

jhale667
04-17-2006, 04:52 PM
I heard Jose died a few years back....is this true?

BrownSound1
04-17-2006, 08:59 PM
Jose has been dead for quite a while.

I don't recall Dave ever talking about Jose Arredondo, just Edward.

Matt White
04-17-2006, 09:04 PM
I do seem to recall DAVE saying something aboot that....

I'll get back to you on taht.....

nitro
04-17-2006, 09:22 PM
I know that jose passed away in the early 90s and we know jose worked on eddies amps . I used to talk to matt bruck one of eddies techs and i remember him saying to me that when dave went on his own he did take some marshall amps to jose to have modded for his guitar players for that "jose modded'' sound jason becker used one of those amps so did steve vai.I know that dave talked in depth about that jose mod but i just cant find it , its some were out there.

BlimpyCHIMP™
04-17-2006, 09:31 PM
JOSE KICKED THE FUCKIN BUCKET BEFORE ALAE YOU SEXUAL PHASE INVERTER

BC!!
FYI BRADSHAW DID VIA AND BECKERS' AMPS
LEE JACKSON DID VAI'S AMPS BEFORE DLR

nitro
04-18-2006, 09:29 AM
BLIMPYCHIMP relax man im talking about daves amps that he owned for guitar players to use. When jason becker played for dave he used a jose modded marshall that dave owned plus he used other amps so did steve vai . Steve also used carvin amps also. Let me repeat AMPS THAT DAVE OWNED.

Mr Grimsdale
04-18-2006, 03:53 PM
"you sexual phase inverter"

that's fookin' jáeneous

BrownSound1
04-18-2006, 07:48 PM
Well there are apparently several Jose mods, pinpointing which one is the sumbitch.

Here's what I think regarding Jose and EVH. I think EVH's Number 1 Marshall is essentially stock, with MAYBE a master volume added to it. That's a BIG maybe too. I've heard several stock Marshalls get that tone with no mods, so that's my reasoning behind that. Now, Ed quit taking that amp out, and of course he had to sound like himself so he probably had Jose mod the touring amps to the same spec his old Marshall was. Hence the "Jose works on my amps," line.

Now the Dave thing I have no clue at all. I did hear that he required Terry Kilgore to play through 5150s instead of his HiWatts. Don't know that for a fact.

jhale667
04-18-2006, 11:05 PM
Haven't heard about the Dave thing either, but I know back in the day people like Vai and Steve Stevens were stockpiling Jose Marshalls...I used to have a pic of Vai's EEAS rig (pretty sure) that had three Jose-heads...marked LOUD, LOUDER, and HOLY CRAP, or something to that effect...:D

nitro
04-19-2006, 09:11 AM
I remember that also.

Nitro Express
04-21-2006, 03:24 PM
Jose Arredondo owned a little electronics repair shop called Arco Electronics in an LA area strip mall. Jose was the guy who would fix your radio or television when it crapped out back in the days when such things were repairable and people could make a living fixing them.

Eddie came clean and said the only thing that Jose did to his amps was retube and rebias them. Eddie lied to throw some more business Joses way because guitar amps were the only things that were tube and everything else was going solid state in the late 70's and Jose needed the business.

Now from what I understand, Jose did do amp modifications. You might go over to plexipalace.com in the forums and ask about them because the guys that hang out over there deffinately know their shit about Marshall amps and all the famouse modifications done to them.

Eddie had a Dutch guy restore his famouse Marshall and an article was written on it. The guy said it was just a normal Marshall that was well used and in dire need of cleaning and basic repair. He found no tricks in Ed's amp at all.

Brett
04-21-2006, 04:58 PM
Yep apparently that is the real story about Jose and Eddie's collaboration.

nitro
04-21-2006, 05:53 PM
I agree with you , i know all about that thanks...........

dlrevh00
04-24-2006, 09:20 PM
i have a show from the Filthy Little Mouth tour and Terry Kilgore is using 5150's. I don't know if Dave required it or not though.

BrownSound1
04-25-2006, 12:06 AM
I'm pretty sure he did. I could ask Bart Walsh, since he isn't currently employed by Dave and see if he was "required" to play 5150s. I know he had them on the first tour he did with DLR. I would ask Brian, but I don't want to put him on the spot like that. However, Brian is endorsing Mojave amps, but they are definitely in VH territory tone wise.