PDA

View Full Version : Install a mini-windmill turbine on your roof!!! Check this out...

Hardrock69
04-19-2006, 02:26 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12321430/site/newsweek/

A Rooftop Windmill Of Your Very Own

April 24, 2006 issue - As projects to build "wind farms" of massive, electricity-generating wind turbines continue to multiply, so do the ranks of "not in my backyard" protesters. The turbines, some with blades that sweep as high as a 20-story building, are increasingly seen as unsightly and dangerous manifestations of the industrialization of the countryside. "The volume is going up higher on opposition to wind farms," says Kathy Belyeu, spokeswoman for the Washington, D.C.-based American Wind Energy Association. Although protests have generally failed to nix many farms, they frequently translate into costly delays or relocation to sites with less favorable winds.

Wind advocates thus have high hopes for less obtrusive wind technology: specifically, high-performance, nonpolluting rooftop microturbines. Generally not much bigger than a dish antenna, they hardly mar the skyline. And if wind conditions are optimal, they can satisfy a typical household's appetite for electricity. Although a microturbine produces less than one thousandth the power of a 20-story turbine, the electricity need only be piped a short distance into the house rather than sent over long distances. The microturbine can also contribute to the energy grid via a short power line that connects to utility lines running along the street. Various models of the turbines, which generally range in price from $1,000 to $8,000, have started springing up on top of houses and buildings in Europe and North America.

Demand has risen so quickly—roughly doubling in the past 12 months—that companies are having trouble making the minimills fast enough. Renewable Devices, an Edinburgh-based manufacturer, which is growing at 300 percent a year, priced a popular turbine at £5,000 while it ramps up production (it plans to drop the price by two thirds by December). Many other manufacturers are lowering prices as the growing market provides economies of scale and local authorities expedite use permits. (The turbines aren't much louder than the wind, and birds are no more likely to fly into them than into windows.)

Earlier this year, the Dutch city of Hoofddorp erected a turbine on its town hall "to set an example," says Environment Policymaker Ruud Mesman. The move kicked off a campaign to install enough turbines to cover 10 percent of the city's electricity needs within 20 years (the city now advises builders on the benefits of "small wind" before issuing construction permits). In May, Chicago will begin a turbine test on the Daley Center skyscraper to figure out how to issue permits and whether to promote the technology with tax incentives.

Most rooftop turbines are designed to pay for themselves after about five years of moderately favorable winds—conditions common in temperate climates like those of Europe, the United States and Japan. After that, the juice is free, save maintenance costs, until the motors burn out after an additional 15 or so years. Rising electricity costs are sweetening the deal, as is the proliferation of "net metering" laws that require utility companies to purchase the unused small-wind electricity fed onto the grid. Five years ago half a dozen EU countries obliged energy companies to buy this so-called spill; now 24 countries do. Thirty-nine U.S. states have passed net-metering legislation. Of course, microturbines also make a satisfying display of one's green credentials and self-reliance. In a world of energy turmoil and global warming, personal windmills are becoming fashionable.
-----------------------------------------------

Check out these companies as investment possibilities.

I can see a huge market for this....

Seshmeister
04-19-2006, 05:37 AM
Hippy!

:)

BITEYOASS
04-19-2006, 09:06 AM
They're are more birds dying from collisions with aircraft than on wind farms. The only ones I hear complaining are the snobs in Nantucket complaining about scenic pollution?!?!

Seshmeister
04-19-2006, 10:24 AM
I used to think Nantucket was a made up place just used in limericks...:)

BITEYOASS
04-19-2006, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
I used to think Nantucket was a made up place just used in limericks...:)

No, it's an actual island off of the coast of Massachusetts in which a quarter of the population are drunk Kennedeys'

FORD
04-19-2006, 01:36 PM
I think most of the opposition to the wind turbines is actually coming from the energy corporate whores, not environmentalists.

True, there are SOME areas where this could be a legitmate concern. The Columbia Gorge, for example, is an extremely windy area where these turbines would work well. Unfortunately, it's also a bald eagle habitat, and the height at which the windmills would be placed is also "where eagles fly".

I'm not sure how much wind resistance would be created by putting a screen around the windmills so the birds wouldn't get chopped up, but that seems like a reasonable compromise to me, if it wouldn't seriously impact the power capabilities. On the other hand, eagles aren't stupid. You would think they could figure it out. Chickens would be clueless, but that's why God doesn't let them fly.

Nitro Express
04-19-2006, 02:32 PM
The Dept. of Energy wanted to build a prototype low emissions coal burning power plant on it's Nuclear Energy Engeneering Labratory in Idaho. This would be an almost no emissions plant burning the vast amounts of low sulfur coal available in Wyoming and Utah.

The rich assholes here in Jackon Hole stopped the project with lawsuits because they were afraid they would get pollution from the plant.

I visited the John Bridger Power Plant here in Wyoming. A huge coal fired plant that powers a good portion of the western US. I thought the place was shut down but three out of four boilers were running at capacity. No smoke, no smell. I couldn't see anything comming out of the stacks at all. No soot.

We can even run these types of plants cleaner with new technology.

Running some of these type of plants makes more sense than having a zillion windmills all over the place. You know how ugly that would be?

FORD
04-19-2006, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Nitro Express

Running some of these type of plants makes more sense than having a zillion windmills all over the place. You know how ugly that would be?

A Hell of a lot less ugly than the entire economy trashed because of $3/gal (or worse) gas.

I wouldn't neccessarily want to see the entire length of the Columbia Gorge covered with windmills - eagle friendly or not - but I'm a little skeptical when it comes to "clean" coal. I'd have to believe it to see it. And even then, I doubt I'd want to see those plants everywhere either. Coal requires mining, mining requires environmental damage, and as we've seen on more than one recent occasion, is often hazardous to those who make their livings mining it.

Not to mention it's a hell of a lot easier for energy companies to "own" coal than it is to own wind. We need to get away from corporate energy, period. I want to see oil companies declare bankruptcy even more than I do tobacco companies, because they have swindled America long enough.

Why do you think they hate wind and solar energy so much? You can't "own" the source, so you can't have a monopoly.

BITEYOASS
04-21-2006, 02:36 PM
Hell those windmills would work best in the farmland of Nebraska, there is a hell of a lot of wind there. Especially with it being right smack dab in the middle of Tornado alley.

Nitro Express
04-21-2006, 02:54 PM
I wouldn't neccessarily want to see the entire length of the Columbia Gorge covered with windmills - eagle friendly or not - but I'm a little skeptical when it comes to "clean" coal. I'd have to believe it to see it. And even then, I doubt I'd want to see those plants everywhere either. Coal requires mining, mining requires environmental damage, and as we've seen on more than one recent occasion, is often hazardous to those who make their livings mining it.

I have solar panels already on my barn but you have to have big batteries and run 6 volt lights. Plus the panels are expensive. Try $20,000-30,000 for your average home?

Yeah coal requires mining but where the coal is in ugly wasteland anyways. It's not like we are running drag line shovels in Yellowstone Park. Funny, we strip mine for gold in Nevada and Utah and nobody compains about that. The United States is the second largest gold producer in the world next to South Africa.

Sure we have lots of energy options besides coal. The real problem is we have become so corrupt as a country we can't do anything. Our energy problem is going the way of the health care system. A ton of lawyers in the way and exponential price gouging that enriches those who bribe our politicians.

But honestly, I would rather have a coal fired power plant somewhere in ugly easter Oregon in a place nobody sees than a zillion ugly windmills all over the landscape. That is just stupid. You know how noisey those things are. Put one up and listen to the nieghbors bitch. Really.

Nitro Express
04-21-2006, 02:57 PM
I think the writing is on the wall. Buy some acreage and run your own windmill, be on your own well, run you own solar panels. Because nobody is going to get this energy problem fixed in the US. We haven't done shit since the 1970's and that is when we had the first wakeup call. The US will sit with it's finger up it's ass as the rest of the world enjoys cheap nuclear and coal power.

Nitro Express
04-21-2006, 03:07 PM
What environmentalism is truley about is enjoying the modern lifestyle that large scale manufacturing brings but not in our backyard. Let's put the steel mills and chemical plants in places like the People's Republic of China where they can run open stacks and dump even more pollution into the atmosphere why we enjoy the final product.

I mean I don't see anyone crying, that the new air conditioned office building their environmental agency rents space in polluted the earth when the steel and other building components were manufactured in huge, stinky industrial plants.

When I see the EPA, Green Peace, or the Sierra Club putting their offices in canvas tents that use niether air conditioning or heating they will have sold me.

I mean get real. Environmentalism is all about putting the stink in someone elses backyard but still having the end product available so we can live comfortable. An emission free steel mill? Yeah right. You can reduce emissions but making steel stinks like hell but we sure like the neat things we make from it.

Without mining and stinky smelting opperations, the steel, gold, copper in your computer would not be available and we couldn't bitch online about stuff.