PDA

View Full Version : The POJO Dojo--April 21, 2006

POJO_Risin
04-21-2006, 11:36 PM
Check out my latest blog entry Right Here (http://www.fantasyoutlaws.com/blog/2006/04/bonds-aaron-ruth-and-maris-court-of.asp).

As always, thanks to THE FANTASY OUTLAWS (http://www.fantasyoutlaws.com) for sponsoring my blog.

Va Beach VH Fan
04-22-2006, 09:46 AM
Interesting...

A lot of people (not me of course :D ) don't remember what those guys went through...

I've given Aaron a hard time over the years, but I do recognize his accomplishments in the face of those threats....

POJO_Risin
04-22-2006, 01:14 PM
I just finished reading Mantle's autobiographies...

and Maris was terrorized...not only by the fans...but the media as well...

certainly he wasn't the first ballplayer...but perhaps the first ballplayer with THAT MUCH...

Romeo Delight
04-22-2006, 01:23 PM
Who saw Bonds try to field a ball in the outfield last night?

He looked like he was 80 years old.

I am starting to wonder if Bonds will retire to avoid being prosecuted for whatever they can convict him on...being tax evasion or whatever...seems like they are intent on making him pay a price.

I don't think it is a good idea to pass the Babe. If he does, things will get worse for Bonds.

Best for him to exit now, with his freedom.

Va Beach VH Fan
04-22-2006, 02:07 PM
I dunno about retirement, but he's definitely looking a helluva lot more fragile...

More and more doubt is creeping in my head whether he's going to break the record...

Good for him....

POJO_Risin
04-22-2006, 02:42 PM
Well...Bronson Arroyo DOES have 2 more dingers than Bonds...;)

Redballjets88
04-22-2006, 02:52 PM
and one more album released

Fairwrning
04-22-2006, 04:06 PM
And a world series ring

POJO_Risin
04-22-2006, 09:55 PM
Bonds hits his first dinger tonight...number 709...five away form tying Ruth...

POJO_Risin
04-22-2006, 09:56 PM
Bonds ends power drought with first homerAssociated Press

DENVER -- Barry Bonds found his elusive power stroke in Denver's thin air.

Bonds homered for the first time this season Saturday night at Coors Field, sending a belt-high fastball from right-hander Aaron Cook 384 feet to left for his 709th career home run.

After circling the bases, Bonds knocked fists with teammates Moises Alou and Pedro Feliz and manager Felipe Alou as he descended into the third-base dugout to jeers and a scattering of applause.

Bonds moved within five home runs of Babe Ruth for the most by a left-handed hitter with 714. It came in his 31st at-bat and 14th game.

For San Francisco's surly slugger, it was one of the longest homerless streaks to start the season. In 1998, he didn't homer until his 13th game and 50th at-bat, the longest season-opening drought of his career when healthy.

Hounded by steroid suspicions, a federal probe into his testimony in the BALCO steroid case and baseball's investigation of performance-enhancing drugs, Bonds got off to a slow start this season despite a stellar spring.

Plagued also by sore knees, a swollen left elbow and few pitchers willing to challenge him -- he walked 19 times before hitting his first home run -- Bonds brought a .200 batting average and just one RBI into Saturday night's game.

In the series opener Friday night, he swung at two of the 17 pitches he saw, flying out to the warning track in center field his first time up, then drawing three straight walks before grounding out to first.

Rockies manager Clint Hurdle vowed not to pitch to Bonds if he didn't have to: "Let him find his rhythm somewhere else.''

Bonds found it Saturday night in Denver, making Cook his 417th victim and giving the Giants a 2-0 lead.

On Friday night, Bonds, who has never been a fan of Denver despite his 25 home runs at Coors Field, the most by an opposing player, got the usual treatment as fans shouted "Juice!'' every time he came up or made a play. One fan behind the Giants dugout wore a tall hat shaped like a syringe.

The crowd had barely settled in Saturday night when Bonds walked up to the plate, took a high fastball and then unleashed his first homer of 2006, trotting around the bases for a change and not just to first.

guwapo_rocker
04-22-2006, 09:59 PM
Must have taken his medicine last night:D

Romeo Delight
04-22-2006, 11:55 PM
I predict Bonds retires soon after passing Ruth.

Redballjets88
04-23-2006, 12:00 AM
i predict that he is a peice of shit