PDA

View Full Version : Notre Dame nabs Jimmy Clausen--could lead to HUGE recruiting class in 2007

POJO_Risin
04-22-2006, 12:14 AM
Wow...thought the ole' ballcoach had him in the bag at South Carolina...

Third in prized Clausen clan to verbally commit to IrishBy Tom Friend
ESPN The Magazine

SOUTH BEND, Ind. -- Jimmy Clausen, the most acclaimed California prep quarterback since John Elway, will verbally commit to Notre Dame on Saturday.

Clausen's decision was first reported by ESPN college football analyst Lou Holtz. Clausen, a high school senior-to-be, will make his announcement at 8:30 a.m. local time at the College Football Hall of Fame in South Bend.

According to sources, Clausen chose the Irish over USC so he could be mentored by coach Charlie Weis; he is now the front-runner to replace the graduating Brady Quinn as Notre Dame's starter in 2007.

Clausen, 6-foot-3 and 207 pounds, has thrown 88 touchdowns and only 11 interceptions in his past two seasons at Oaks Christian School in Westlake Village, Calif., his team averaging 53 points a game. He is 27-0 as a starter, has completed 68 percent of his passes over the last two years, has thrown for 7,234 career yards and will have one of his high school games televised live next September on ESPN2.

Ahead of the game: Jimmy Clausen will enroll at Notre Dame in January and be eligible for next year's spring practices.
He is the younger brother of recent Tennessee quarterbacks Casey and Rick Clausen, although both brothers say Jimmy is more accurate, more unflappable and more polished a player.

"He's better than both of us right now," Rick Clausen has said.

Weis, the former Patriots offensive coordinator, first saw film of Clausen last summer, as a sophomore, and quickly made him his No. 1 recruiting priority. Weis went on to sign two quarterbacks from the Class of 2006 -- Zach Frazer of Pennsylvania and Demetrius Jones of Chicago --- but turned down a chance to sign the class's No. 1 QB prospect, Arkansas' Mitch Mustain.

Clausen, who has a 3.3 GPA and has taken courses at Ventura (Calif.) Junior College so he can graduate high school early, will enroll at Notre Dame in January and be eligible for next year's spring practices. He is currently working out with a strength coach four days a week, has put on 20 pounds over the last four months and is committing early to the Irish so he can lure other premier recruits to South Bend.

Two of the top wide-outs from the class of 2007, Arrelious Benn of Washington's Dunbar High and 6-foot-5 Duval Kamara of Hoboken, N.J., are expected to be on the Notre Dame campus when Clausen commits, and sources say Clausen will ask them to join him. Also on hand Saturday, for Notre Dame's annual spring game, will be Clausen's high school teammate, Marc Tyler, who gained 2,196 yards and scored 39 touchdowns last season. Tyler is the son of former Rams running back Wendell Tyler.

USC had been high on Clausen's list because of its overall talent level, and Clausen, at one time, was concerned whether Weis could recruit similar athletes to Notre Dame. But the Irish's Class of 2006 included two mammoth offensive linemen -- 6-foot-8, 305-pound Sam Young of Fort Lauderdale and 6-foot-5, 360-pound Chris Stewart of Klein, Texas. Those recruiting coups, plus Weis's NFL pedigree, helped win him over.

Clausen visited with USC coach Pete Carroll as recently as Wednesday, but Clausen, according to people close to him, had already made up his mind to go to South Bend.

Tom Friend is a staff writer for ESPN The Magazine.

ALinChainz
04-22-2006, 12:21 AM
Weis coming up huge ... Spurrier doesn't lose many quarterbacks ... they just never make good pros.

POJO_Risin
04-22-2006, 12:25 AM
Notre Dame backed into the perfect coach...

the Irish is back for good...

and I can't wait to hate them again...

ALinChainz
04-22-2006, 12:29 AM
Never wait bro ... beat the crowd ... I saved you a spot in line ...

POJO_Risin
04-22-2006, 12:33 AM
I actually grew up liking Notre Dame...never really had a rivalry with Ohio State...

Lou Holtz made me hate them...can't stand that to much spit in his mouth whore...

and was glad to watch him "unbiasly" choose Notre Dame to win by 2 TD's against OSU last year...

old fucking whore...

Unchainme
04-22-2006, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by POJO_Risin
I actually grew up liking Notre Dame...never really had a rivalry with Ohio State...

Lou Holtz made me hate them...can't stand that to much spit in his mouth whore...

and was glad to watch him "unbiasly" choose Notre Dame to win by 2 TD's against OSU last year...

old fucking whore...

did you see him get owned by Clemson 63-17 in his last game against. He took over for the biggest joke job in college football, Coaching The South Carolina Gamecocks.

Brett
04-22-2006, 02:27 AM
He didn't come to USC because he'll never fucking play. We got Booty, and Mark Sanchez, he won't play for 3 years here. At ND, he will be able to.

Yeah I understand wanting to play for Charlie Weis I suppose, but what QB wouldn't want to come to a school where the last two starting QB's have both won the Heisman? Yeah what a dumb idea.

Good get the fuck out of So Cal. :)

EbDawson
04-22-2006, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by POJO_Risin
Clausen's decision was first reported by ESPN college football analyst Lou Holtz.

Oh, so Holtz is an "analyst". Glad I found out.

conmee
04-24-2006, 12:43 AM
Gentlemen,

We are all civilized, are we not? lol

I've learned my lesson time and again, and won't get too excited until all these top recruiting classes win us a championship. But hell, if we can just get back to being a regular BCS participant, and actually WIN a BCS bowl or two, then I'll start getting excited.

Hope all is well, friends. I'll be back in the mix here in the Locker Room, sometime summer. Getting killed at work, the Man is relentless.... haha.

GO IRISH!!!!

Icon.

POJO_Risin
04-24-2006, 12:52 AM
lmfao...but if Claussen helps bring in 5 or 6 of the top 25...

that alone puts ND back in the mix...IE...if they start recruiting like a bear again...

ND will be good for good...

which is why signing Clausen is HUGE for them at this point...they got the #1 guy in '07...

which is something they haven't been close to doing..well...since Holthsssss"

EbDawson
04-24-2006, 03:08 AM
Originally posted by conmee
I've learned my lesson time and again, and won't get too excited until all these top recruiting classes win us a championship.

Damn good point!

Still, that Texas/Ohio State game 2nd week of the season is gonna be big. Getting pumped already.

Mr. Vengeance
04-24-2006, 11:05 AM
NICE!!!!!!!