PDA

View Full Version : Your Old Tapes Thread

PHOENIX
04-22-2006, 12:47 PM
I was digging through my old Cassette box and found some weird shit in there.

Stuff that i hadnt heard in years.

There were tapes that i dont even know to this day why i bought them.

Here's some weird shit i found.

Frehleys Comet Live - Ace Frehely playing his solo crap live. Although there is a pretty cool version of "Rip It Out" on there.

Dread Zeppelin - Anybody remember these guys?

Concrete Blonde - Dont ask why i have this

Foreigner Greatest Hits - I didnt even know i had this.

Breakdance - Oh Geez

Rolling Stones - I totally fogot about this album with that song Harlem Shuffle

Dokken Live- WTF was i thinking?

Judas Priest Ram it Down - What a shitty album and even shittier cover version of Johnny B Goode

Matt White
04-22-2006, 12:50 PM
HA!!!

Good stuff......

I know I have a tape of the King Bisquit Flower Hour with the Blizzard of Oz live.....

Much of it became the TRIBUTE cd...but this is UN-MIXED & Ozzy sounds rough thru most of it....

Studio magic is Larvely!!!

Coyote
04-22-2006, 01:22 PM
Queen's "The Works"
Motorhead's "Rock'n'Roll"

and millions of mix tapes...

ThrillsNSpills
04-22-2006, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Matt White
HA!!!

Good stuff......

I know I have a tape of the King Bisquit Flower Hour with the Blizzard of Oz live.....

Much of it became the TRIBUTE cd...but this is UN-MIXED & Ozzy sounds rough thru most of it....

Now you can get it again (http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=918264#post918264)

I had a cassette of the King Bisquit Rhoads tape and wore it out.

Mr. Vengeance
04-22-2006, 01:33 PM
Shotgun Messiah
The Almighty
Bang Tango
The LUKE album, Featuring the 2 Live Crew
Electric Angels

To name but a few......

ashstralia
04-22-2006, 01:47 PM
my =vh= two tape still sounds grate.

DlocRoth
04-22-2006, 03:16 PM
I don't remember where I got it but I never saw another one....

1 tape....WACF on side one, and FW on side 2.

FORD
04-22-2006, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Matt White
HA!!!

Good stuff......

Torrent that motherfucker!! I used to have the same show, but my tape long ceased to exist. I had it worn out even before the Tribute CD was released. But the overdubs are more than obvious. I think Ozzy recorded the entire vocal track in the studio.

mako_kimura
04-22-2006, 09:39 PM
I've been digging through my dad's tape boxes(without his permission, he usually jumps all over my ass about it), and I've found some cool stuff. Here's a few examples:

1. Guns N Roses-Appetite For Destruction(He lost it a year ago, he's still pissed)
2. AC/DC-Live(I remember when he bought it, I was 3)
3. Kiss-Smashes, Thrashes, and Hits(He only listens for the classic stuff)
4. Foreigner-Greatest Hits and Beyond(He has the same damn album on a friggin CD.)

Jérôme Frenchise
04-23-2006, 08:31 AM
I've had many, many tapes, more than LPs actually. I've bought a lot of CD re-releases over the years, but there still are albums that I only have on tape, like the Eagles or U2 up to "Rattle & Hum".

One day in 1990, in a hypermarket, I found a German cassette containing 7 songs from Led Zeppelin's Dallas concert of May 1975. I knew that there was no reference of it in LZ's Atlantic/Swan Song catalogue... It was the only copy there on the shelves, and I thought how odd and damn lucky that find could be - and of course I couldn't wait getting back on my car and play it...
What a shock. The sound was so huge, it sounded like it was both soundboard and atmospheric - you know, like the glorious way the BBC recorded the Isle of Wight Festival... This 54' tape completely overshadowed my copy of the 1973 Madison Square Garden from then on.
I felt like I'd bought a stellar boot at a regular store - which was the case; the department manager in there obviously didn't know what he put on his shelves.
"Rock and Roll", "Over the Hills and Far away" and, above all, "In my time of dying" and "Kashmir" were just unbelievable. I'm still beyond amazed every time I listen to that tape. Led Zeppelin were in no hurry that night - Robert takes 2 or 3 minutes between each song to speak to the audience in a most relax way. The only problem on the tape is "The song remains the same" was unashamedly edited... Not my fave song, but well... This is no way to treat Led Zeppelin.
Today I know the show had been broadcast on air and the whole of it was put on CD. But the feeling of finding, unwrapping and playing this particular tape remains hard to beat. :cool:

Jérôme Frenchise
04-23-2006, 08:36 AM
Here's the sleeve:

Jérôme Frenchise
04-23-2006, 08:54 AM
And the inner notes (well, there weren't that many - an address in Germany, though! I erased it willingly. :cool: ).

2/2

Jérôme Frenchise
04-23-2006, 09:15 AM
Here it is this time. I realise it was recorded in March and not in May as I wrote earlier.

PHOENIX
04-23-2006, 09:59 AM
Does anybody still have a cassette player lying around?

LOL

bueno bob
04-23-2006, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by PHOENIX
Dokken Live- WTF was i thinking?

On that call, you were thinking wisely...if that's Beast from the East you're referring to (so I assume), that's one of the best live albums I've ever heard, bar none...

George Lynch is fucking incredible on that album, Don's singing is very solid and the production quality is through the roof...

Jeff and Mick are really tight with each other...

Great track selection...

Remains to this day one of my all time favorite live albums ever. Definitely one of the best hard rock live albums ever recorded, IMO.

bueno bob
04-23-2006, 11:50 AM

LOL

Actually, truth be told, I do...

:)

mako_kimura
04-23-2006, 12:32 PM

LOL

My dad has let me have a lot of his tape players. He goes through about a ton of em every six months

PHOENIX
04-23-2006, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by bueno bob
On that call, you were thinking wisely...if that's Beast from the East you're referring to (so I assume), that's one of the best live albums I've ever heard, bar none...

George Lynch is fucking incredible on that album, Don's singing is very solid and the production quality is through the roof...

Jeff and Mick are really tight with each other...

Great track selection...

Remains to this day one of my all time favorite live albums ever. Definitely one of the best hard rock live albums ever recorded, IMO.

I bought that album cause i liked MR Scary and Breaking the Chains.

But other than that i wasnt too keen on their over all style.

It just wasnt for me at the time.

Terry
04-23-2006, 08:18 PM
Let's see here:

A Jimi Hendrix bootleg titled Woke Up This Morning And Found Myself Dead...

The Cure - Mixed Up

Dokken - Tooth And Nail

Primus - Saling The Seas Of Cheese

Spin Doctors - Pocket Full Of Kryptonite

Ozzy Osbourne - Speak Of The Devil

I had that CVH WACF/FW 2 albums on one cassette, too.

David Lee Roth - Skyscraper

Talking Heads - Remain In Light

Devo - Freedom Of Choice

Rush - Moving Pictures

Mick Jagger - She's The Boss

U2 - Live Under A Blood Red Sky

Richard Pryor - That ******'s Crazy

Big Country - The Best Of Big Country

Gary Moore - After The War

Dread Zeppelin - 5,000,000*

The Who - Face Dances

The Romantics - In Heat

Aerosmith - Done With Mirrors......

among others (have some really embarassing shit in there too that I'd rather not mention and really should just throw away, but probably won't because, hey, Right Said Fred could be making a comeback any day now and I'll wish I hadn't chucked that tape that I bought for the one song...)

And yes, I have a working boom box (even though I'm too sexy for it)

PHOENIX
04-23-2006, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by Terry
Let's see here:

A Jimi Hendrix bootleg titled Woke Up This Morning And Found Myself Dead...

The Cure - Mixed Up

Dokken - Tooth And Nail

Primus - Saling The Seas Of Cheese

Spin Doctors - Pocket Full Of Kryptonite

I had that CVH WACF/FW 2 albums on one cassette, too.

Talking Heads - Remain In Light

Devo - Freedom Of Choice

Rush - Moving Pictures

Richard Pryor - That ******'s Crazy

Gary Moore - After The War

Dread Zeppelin - 5,000,000*

The Who - Face Dances

The Romantics - In Heat

among others (have some really embarassing shit in there too that I'd rather not mention and really should just throw away, but probably won't because, hey, Right Said Fred could be making a comeback any day now and I'll wish I hadn't chucked that tape that I bought for the one song...)

And yes, I have a working boom box (even though I'm too sexy for it)

Another Dread Zeppelin fan!

Did ya ever get to see them in concert?

I laughed my ass off that night. Great fucking show.

Terry
04-23-2006, 10:17 PM
Another Dread Zeppelin fan!

Did ya ever get to see them in concert?

I laughed my ass off that night. Great fucking show.

No, I never got the chance to. They only came around once where I was living at the time, and that was after they released their first album, and I hadn't had a chance to hear them yet, and what I did hear of them (which was that they dig reggae-styled Zep covers with an Elvis impersonator singing lead) just sounded too off-the-wall...

But I finally picked up their second album and just fucking DUG it, but by then they had kinda vanished off the map...

But they were totally brilliant. I would have loved to have seen them.

Shaun Ponsonby
04-24-2006, 03:47 PM
Maybe you should sticky this.

PHOENIX
04-24-2006, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby
Maybe you should sticky this.

Dude!

You're funny.

Actually maybe i should.;)

fe_lung
04-24-2006, 06:34 PM
I've got a sealed copy of Nelson's tape. My grandmother thought I would like it since I liked all that long haired rock stuff..... Old people, what can you do?

c5150b
04-24-2006, 06:40 PM
Electric Boys!

Lips and Hips tune rocks!

Terry
04-24-2006, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by c5150b
Electric Boys!

Lips and Hips tune rocks!

Please change that pic.

I don't wanna see Tubby and Hot Sauce Man getting ready to kiss...

c5150b
04-24-2006, 07:43 PM
Look closer my friend I don't think they are gonna kiss? Question now is whose is it? Ed's Al's ....Daves?

Terry
04-24-2006, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by c5150b
Look closer my friend I don't think they are gonna kiss? Question now is whose is it? Ed's Al's ....Daves?

Upon closer inspection, I have found that isn't a microphone between their lips...

:eek:

Hardrock69
04-24-2006, 09:26 PM
I have quite a few hundred tapes.

I am slowly but surely going through them and figuring out what to keep and what not.

Many of them are bootlegs. A lot of those are out on CD now, but some of them I know are not.

It will take years to transfer this stuff into the digital realms. And that does not include the 900 VHS tapes I have.

Jérôme Frenchise
04-24-2006, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by Terry

I've got them too. But I've never seen BIG COUNTRY mentioned here... Awesome - Scottish or not - band!!
There's only U2 I haven't bought on CD. I'd rather have a sip of Big Country than a gallon of U2 anyway. :cool:

Terry
05-12-2006, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise
I've got them too. But I've never seen BIG COUNTRY mentioned here... Awesome - Scottish or not - band!!
There's only U2 I haven't bought on CD. I'd rather have a sip of Big Country than a gallon of U2 anyway. :cool:

Big Country were brilliant. Plenty of passion and intensity in their music without the smugness and pretentiousness I find in U2.