PDA

View Full Version : Eruption vs Blue Powder

TMR
04-16-2004, 03:13 AM
Most of you don't know.....but Steve's signature song BLUE POWDER has more emotion, energy, and pure musicianship then Eddie's song Eruption.

Sure Eruption was a great movement for guitar, but Vai took it to the next level by showing the world and guitar players what the instrument can deliver in sound then Eddie's 3 color axe.

Blue Power has various styles of playing in the same song where Eruption basically starts off with a decent riff but eventually takes you no where in the end.

Probably, Not many of you have heard Blue Powder....if you truly want to hear a guitar song, check this song out!

Steve plays an extended version of the song with Billy Sheehan on LIVE IN ASTORIA DVD!

:o

chefcraig
04-16-2004, 03:45 AM
Originally posted by TMR
Most of you don't know.....but Steve's signature song BLUE POWDER has more emotion, energy, and pure musicianship then Eddie's song Eruption.

Blue Power has various styles of playing in the same song where Eruption basically starts off with a decent riff but eventually takes you no where in the end.

Probably, Not many of you have heard Blue Powder....if you truly want to hear a guitar song, check this song out!

Steve plays an extended version of the song with Billy Sheehan on LIVE IN ASTORIA DVD!

Wasn't "Blue Powder" developed during the "improv" parts of Vai's touring with Frank Zappa?

Frank had (for a while) an ensemble piece called the "Black Pages", that Vai transcribed.

I truly believe that's where it came from.

c.craig

pardo
04-16-2004, 08:46 AM
Steve's guitar wanking over the Kenny G inspired songs don't really wave my flag.

I'd like Steve a lot better if he had a little more Angus in him. Uh - like Edward!

ThrillsNSpills
04-16-2004, 09:29 AM
If this was true then you wouldn't have to convince people.
Blue Powder is great but c'mon.

Full Bug
04-16-2004, 10:34 AM
Eruption inspired and influenced many people to pick up a guitar, or play it a new way, can you say the same for Steve?

Bob_R
04-16-2004, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by TMR

Sure Eruption was a great movement for guitar, but Vai took it to the next level by showing the world and guitar players what the instrument can deliver in sound then Eddie's 3 color axe.

Could you possibly post Blue Powder?

NathanRay
04-16-2004, 10:24 PM
Eruption was the ballsiest guitar solo in the history of Electric Guitar. After that, you can't really hold a candle to the king. I heard Vai and the rest after hearing eruption. But it did'nt Matter because by the third track Van Halen had Really Got Me.

True I experienced Eruption and Van Halen 1 for the first time on Hot summer Day. I didn't know how damn cool music could live and breathe and the second half of puberty got a soundtrack.

Edward Van Halen Was the King When He was With Roth and Usin' all his "Homemade Dennis the Menace Bits of trouble."

NathanRay
04-16-2004, 10:48 PM
Still would love to give Blue Powder a listen though.

TMR
04-17-2004, 03:33 AM
Originally posted by c.craig
Wasn't "Blue Powder" developed during the "improv" parts of Vai's touring with Frank Zappa?

Frank had (for a while) an ensemble piece called the "Black Pages", that Vai transcribed.

I truly believe that's where it came from.

c.craig

I'm not a huge fan of Zappa....so even if something was transcribed by Zappa and Steve took it and made it that much better is fantastic....Blue Powder was the very first song I heard from Vai. Point is...this is a great song and Vai has created many more since that time. But you would have to be a Vai fan to hear them.

TMR
04-17-2004, 03:35 AM
Originally posted by pardo

I'd like Steve a lot better if he had a little more Angus in him. Uh - like Edward!

You mean like Ed's playing with Van Hagar?? He hasn't inspired anything since Little Guitars and never will.

TMR
04-17-2004, 03:38 AM
Originally posted by ThrillsNSpills
If this was true then you wouldn't have to convince people.
Blue Powder is great but c'mon.

I don't need to convince, i'm letting people know...the song ended up on passion and warfare!

Steve's song was out on a plastic record back in the early 80's then eventually made it to his personal cd. Only reason Ed's song made it anywhere is because of Dave. If Dave wasn't there....Ed would have been just another average joe. Like he is today!

TMR
04-17-2004, 03:42 AM
Originally posted by EVH FANATIC
Could you possibly post Blue Powder?

It would take me forever to upload the song. The song can be found on PASSION & WARFARE CD or LIVE IN ASTORIA DVD! I would have to send the song to Sarge via snail mail....lol

TMR
04-17-2004, 03:43 AM
Originally posted by Full Bug
Eruption inspired and influenced many people to pick up a guitar, or play it a new way, can you say the same for Steve?

Yes I can.....Ed hasn't done anything since the early 80's with the guitar, Vai has inspired people around the world!

secrets
04-17-2004, 04:03 PM
To paraphrase Vai's once mentor Frank Zappa, Eddie Van Halen reinvented the electric guitar. To this day Eruption still sounds the business.
Van Halen was way ahead of his time in terms of technique attitude tone and use of effects. Don't get me wrong Vai is amazing but I prefer his playing on EEAS to Passion and Warfare (too self indulgent). His solo album Flexable features two amazing solos on The Attitude Song and Call it Sleep, which are better tracks than Blue Powder.

TMR
04-17-2004, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by secrets
To paraphrase Vai's once mentor Frank Zappa, Eddie Van Halen reinvented the electric guitar. To this day Eruption still sounds the business.
Van Halen was way ahead of his time in terms of technique attitude tone and use of effects. Don't get me wrong Vai is amazing but I prefer his playing on EEAS to Passion and Warfare (too self indulgent). His solo album Flexable features two amazing solos on The Attitude Song and Call it Sleep, which are better tracks than Blue Powder.

Yes, those are great songs as well!! I prefer Vai's playing on EEAS too!

NathanRay
04-17-2004, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by TMR
I don't need to convince, i'm letting people know...the song ended up on passion and warfare!

Steve's song was out on a plastic record back in the early 80's then eventually made it to his personal cd. Only reason Ed's song made it anywhere is because of Dave. If Dave wasn't there....Ed would have been just another average joe. Like he is today!

Great Post... I actually have Passion and Warfare, so I'm gonna go look for it now.

NathanRay
04-17-2004, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by TMR

:o lo ciento but I just listened to Blue Powder and SOOOOOOO What????? Who Cares its like five minutes of pointless shred-Jazz. Did You misunderstand the straight up Fury that was Eruption? You can't compare the two Eruption is 1:30 of pure Balls and Blue Powder is about 5:00 minutes of so what??? Blue powder has got a whole band behind it, sure stevie and stuey are tearin stuff up, but whatever. Eruption has a couple of drum rolls and cymbal crashes and then it's just you and the king.

If You want to compare the Blue Powder with something more comparable compare it to Your hero Malmsteen's "Black Star". But We all know Which Song would Win that contest. Yngwie Makes a pretty neat point on his solo's. Repetative?... At times definately... But the point gets across. That Vai solo, man, I'm like "that was mind blowin' just awesome" "But big deal, I Don't feel like learning it.

Vai Needs Dave to smack him around a bit to get him playing with more heart and tell the stories he told in Eat em and Smile and Skyscraper(most of SkyScraper).

TMR
04-18-2004, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by NathanRay
lo ciento but I just listened to Blue Powder and SOOOOOOO What????? Who Cares its like five minutes of pointless shred-Jazz. Did You misunderstand the straight up Fury that was Eruption? You can't compare the two Eruption is 1:30 of pure Balls and Blue Powder is about 5:00 minutes of so what??? Blue powder has got a whole band behind it, sure stevie and stuey are tearin stuff up, but whatever. Eruption has a couple of drum rolls and cymbal crashes and then it's just you and the king.

If You want to compare the Blue Powder with something more comparable compare it to Your hero Malmsteen's "Black Star". But We all know Which Song would Win that contest. Yngwie Makes a pretty neat point on his solo's. Repetative?... At times definately... But the point gets across. That Vai solo, man, I'm like "that was mind blowin' just awesome" "But big deal, I Don't feel like learning it.

Vai Needs Dave to smack him around a bit to get him playing with more heart and tell the stories he told in Eat em and Smile and Skyscraper(most of SkyScraper).

Sorry dude, to me Eruption is boring! And Dave smacked Ed around to get that sound out of him! Ed was good, but not as good as VAI!

I don't care about Malmsteem......Vai has made a name for himself playing the music he wants to.

Ed waits for WB to tell him on what to do.....LOL

I would love for Vai to rejoin DLR, only time will tell......

BLUE POWDER is a song that I can feel all the notes.....Ed's Eruption makes me Yawn!

NathanRay
04-18-2004, 04:06 PM
That's Cool..
A little Sacreligous but that's alright cause your a true Diamond Dave fan.

Mr Grimsdale
04-19-2004, 03:12 AM

ooh no missus no

how rude!

Mr Grimsdale
04-19-2004, 03:16 AM
eruption is one dimensional
very different back in 1978 but it sounds tired these days
i'd rather listen to spanish fly

pardo
04-19-2004, 11:59 AM
What blows me away about Eruption is the sound. From Edwards tone, to his subtle effects, to his hands. It just sounds amazing. He had something special goin and he capitalized on it.

Mr Grimsdale
04-19-2004, 12:38 PM
i'll tell you what pisses me off about eddie
why the fook has he played the same solo mid-set for so many tours?

other than that he's a great guitarist
but for fooks sake play something different

NathanRay
04-20-2004, 09:28 PM
I Know for a Fact that Eruption!! Was Playing in the Background When God Created the Heavens and The Earth!

True Story.:o :o :o :o :o

pete
04-20-2004, 09:32 PM
What blows me away about Eruption is the sound. From Edwards tone, to his subtle effects, to his hands. It just sounds amazing. He had something special goin and he capitalized on it.

there was nothing like it - when you heard it (my opinion)

pete
04-20-2004, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by Full Bug

no, steve appeals to guitar players more than anyone else.

He's fucking genius

Mr Grimsdale
04-21-2004, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by pete
there was nothing like it - when you heard it (my opinion)

that's just it, "when you heard it"

i'm sick of hearing it, every fookin' live solo and he wheels that out

how about doing something different every tour?
i'm not even asking for something different every show

pardo
04-21-2004, 03:49 PM
Grims, I totally agree. Its like he thinks just switching the order of what he plays will keep people interested. I'd love to see him come up with new stuff to play, but I don't think he's as driven as he was way back when. So its either play well worn yet killer stuff half assed, or play half assed new stuff half assed.

Quite the cunundrum!

Teen_Rocker
04-21-2004, 08:31 PM
Eruption is so much better then Blue Powder. Eddie burns up the fretboard in 1.40 while Steve uses up 5.00 to show off his "technique". Sure he's an amazing guitar player but think of the impact Eddie had when Eruption came out. He single handedly changed the "handbook" of rock guitar forever. I mean really if Eddie hadn't have done Eruption Steve probably wouldn't have done Blue Powder or for that matter even be popular now.

secrets
04-22-2004, 03:49 PM
There was a great scene in the movie 'Crossroads' where Steve Vai played in a guitar duel against the hero who was battling to save his soul from the Devil. What would be cool would be the Steve Vai of '86 against the EVH of say '78. Now that would be some battle.

Teen_Rocker
04-22-2004, 04:28 PM
Who do you think would win between the two?

secrets
04-22-2004, 04:59 PM
IMO EVH of '78 would win against Vai of '86 but only just. It would be a very close call. Actually, I think EVH of '81 would win against Vai of '86 too.

Loons The Great
07-04-2006, 12:50 PM
I'll vote fo' Eruption from Stummin' With The Debil o'er Blue"I bend spoons"Powder...Wella wella wella...