PDA

View Full Version : Outta Love Again

Bo Nozos
04-25-2006, 02:31 AM
I have been playing this tune over and over. Here are my thoughts:

1. This may be one of VH's best songs ever. It's that good. And completely unknown to all but hardcore fans.

2. This is DLR's best vocal performance, period. I bet it took a bunch of takes but he does all kinds of crazy things with his voice. It's a vocal tour de force.

3. The drums on this track are sick. I am not a drummer but I hear all kinds of crazy, syncopated jazz-type shit on this tune that can't be easy.

4. This is some of Ed's wickedest guitar playing. There's that one instrumental bridge-y part where the drums are kind of building and Ed keeps making the guitar do these little squeals. And this is a great example of Ed's brown sound -- this one's raw and dirty, mud and molasses.

5. This song has aged incredibly well. I used to skip this track when I was a teenager. Now I can't believe I wasn't listening to it all along. it's a fucking gem.

If you haven't lately, I suggest you pop VHII into your player and crank this song hard. It does not disappoint.

Can I get a witness???????

FORD
04-25-2006, 07:26 AM
A witness?? Hell, you could probably get Jehova himself with that testimony.

"Dance The Night Away" and "Beautiful Girls" might have sold VHII, but it was the songs in the middle, "Outta Love Again" and "Light Up The Sky" that made the record.

Hardrock69
04-25-2006, 09:17 AM
Grate Tune!

:cool:

Terry
05-12-2006, 09:42 PM
The shit Dave was doing on that track STILL blows my mind. Very Joplinesque.

Ed threw some neat stuff on that tune, agreed. Not really a CVH tune that comes to mind as one of Ed's shredworthy moments, but the solo fit so well.

AVH's drumming brings Moon to my mind when I hear that tune. Van Halen 2 was a quantum leap for AVH from what was on the debut album.

ELVIS
05-12-2006, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by Bo Nozos
I used to skip this track when I was a teenager. Now I can't believe I wasn't listening to it all along.

Can I get a witness???????

You used to skip the tune but now you're somehow enlightened and we're supposed to take it as gospel ??

C'mon dude...

I knew this song was top notch back in the day...

Unlike you, It didn't take me, or FORD for that matter, 20 years to stumble on a GRATE song...

And completely unknown to all but hardcore fans.

I wouldn't say that either...

Ok, I'll stop busting your balls...

This is one of the first songs I ever learned on guitar by Van Halen, particularly because when I first heard It, I knew I could handle the rhythm part...

Dave's voice never sounded better than on VHII !!

:elvis:

Mt. Krakalak
05-13-2006, 01:54 AM
Dave sings his balls off in that song, as usual. Actually, I'm convinced he was channelling the devil himself and we were all taken on a guided tour of hell! Nobody comes close to the Diamond One!

Mt. Krakalak
05-13-2006, 01:55 AM
Awesome! I'm a "Full On Cocktard" now!

Lloyd Anger
05-13-2006, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by Mt. Krakalak
Awesome! I'm a "Full On Cocktard" now!

Hey, you ain't shit 'till you've reached cockSUCKER status. Somethin' to shoot for.

Man what a coincedence! I brought this same subject up with my cousin Donny just the other day. Imo VHII is the hardest, brownest, greatest record ever made.

Ed is on top of his game on this one and Dave's screams are about as primal as it gets on Outta Love Again.

I just can't get enough of that shit.

ALMOSTsaved
05-13-2006, 09:33 AM
I was also guilty of skipping this track back in the day as well as "Feel Your Love Tonite" from the debut album...Now when I hear them, I crank 'em up and they feel somewhat "new" to me...

binnie
05-13-2006, 11:45 AM
It's a great song!

D.O.A is my fave on VHII though, what a riff!

Dave's a underated vocalist, he's not a great singer in a technical sense, but he put's a song across like no-one else, and that is the sign of a true great!

Solbakken
05-13-2006, 11:56 AM
Outta Love Again is one helluva song! Imagine Fred Durst giving it a real makeover like he did with Behind Blue Eyes!?! Wow, man! I tell you, it would be a major hit!
Still, he can`t hold a candle to Dave. I say! 5150, fellas!!

Diamondjimi
05-13-2006, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS

Dave's voice never sounded better than on VHII !!
:elvis:

Agreed !

One of the things I've always liked about Daves voice is the fact that when he wails out a scream his voice has 2 "ghost' pitches as well .
Very reminisent of Joplin.

Diamondjimi
05-13-2006, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Solbakken
Outta Love Again is one helluva song! Imagine Fred Durst giving it a real makeover like he did with Behind Blue Eyes!?! Wow, man! I tell you, it would be a major hit!

Fred Burst blows cox and so does 5150 !

:smoke2:

binnie
05-13-2006, 02:19 PM
Yep if Fred ever touched a CVH song, it'd be a crime against humanity,

He would deserve to be incarcerated and share a cell with a big Black guy call hosepipe!

Awfull idea

binnie
05-13-2006, 02:36 PM
I always felt that Fair Warning was DLR's best performance, but it's splitting hairs!

Mean Streets, it's like he's in the room when you listen to that one!

rustoffa
05-13-2006, 09:09 PM
The thing about this song, IMO, is the reediculous breaks.

Decent showing by Al... b shure.

Another classic idea fit for Songs And Albums!!!

Big Troubles
05-14-2006, 08:57 AM
VHII is a great example of great effort and united talents. This album and the debut maybe the only times when the 4 of them put in all equal talents in an effort to shit out a genuine pearl. Great party album back in the day too.

Terry
05-15-2006, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Solbakken

I'd track Durst down myself if he fucked with Van Halen.

He's probably a Van Hagar fan anyway, so I'm not too worried...he'd sooner re-make Why Can't This Be Love, then go onto his blog and lie, saying he did it for Paris Hilton because they made out in a club or some bullshit story like that.

WARF
05-15-2006, 10:50 PM
I've fucked girls who can't scream as high... in outta love again!

DeadOrAlive
05-16-2006, 02:08 AM
After hearing this tune and Light Up the Sky, it feels like Eyes of Night should be on that album too, after those two tracks. That'd make a great trio

trueblue
05-22-2006, 04:49 AM
Outta Love Again is a superb shooting star of a song(too short but too brilliant)...And imagine how so many fans and critics still complain about VHII feeling like an album of 'leftovers'...heck, if 'leftovers' can sound so incredibly fantastic and fun, i am not gonna jump on the bandwagon of those that can't see or admit what a terrific follow-up record VHII was to the debut....Outta Love Again is the type of rocker that makes me love the album forever...the raw, raucous energy in the playing and Dave's wicked delivery wows me to this day...

Loons The Great
05-23-2006, 10:56 AM
Outta Love Again...puts the UNK in the FUNK...fo' sho' nah yez...I ain't lyin'...make it funky nah...play it funky...I ain't no monkey sho' caint climb no tree aint no nilla skin blonde gal gonn make no monkey man outta me...nah yez..

binnie
05-23-2006, 12:34 PM
you said it LOONS!

hell yeah baby