PDA

View Full Version : [size=2]GOP's Contract with America hasn't run out of steam yet [/size]

BigBadBrian
04-25-2006, 03:00 PM
GOP's Contract with America hasn't run out of steam yet
Apr 24, 2006
by Star Parker

There's a lot of talk these days about Democrats regaining control of Congress in the upcoming elections. Polls are showing as much dissatisfaction with Republicans as they showed toward the Democrats when Republicans gained control in 1994.

But there's a big difference between today's reality and the reality of 1994. And Republicans should note this.

The Contract With America that Republicans ran on in 1994 was more than a slick election gimmick. It set forth a clear vision about where the country needed to go and said that the Republican Party was prepared to be defined by this vision.

I remember those days well because it marked the beginning of my getting active on the national scene as a consultant on welfare reform. I understood the problems with welfare because I was inside this world and I knew that the Republican revolutionaries of 1994 were on target that government was the problem, not the solution.

The massive and growing welfare rolls, and the broken families and human beings that went along with this, were a clear problem that reflected a vision of the world that saw government as an answer to poverty. Republicans put up a clear alternative vision to relocate responsibility from government to individuals.

The whole Contract With America was defined by these principles.

When Americans went to the polls in November 1994 they weren't just voting out incumbents. They were casting a vote for a clear alternative vision for how the country should be governed.

There was also leadership. Newt Gingrich was an aggressive and bold spokesman for the Republican alternative.

Although polls today may be showing strong voter dissatisfaction with the Republican-controlled Congress, I see little that reminds me of 1994.

Not only are Democrats not offering an alternative, I don't think they have any prospect of doing so.

Agendas are not gimmicks. They reflect underlying reality.

The clear underlying reality is that America's future demands that we continue in the direction of restoring traditional values in our communities and continue to limit the role of government. This isn't about ideology; it's about facts.

Unless Democrats are prepared to totally re-tool and out Republican the Republicans, I think Washington will remain a Republican town as long as the GOP can reconnect clearly with its natural agenda and articulate it with Gingrich-like clarity.

What's the agenda for 2006?

First, let's get the marriage amendment passed. The recent study published in the Journal of Adolescent Health showing direct correlation between what teenagers are exposed to in all forms of media _ magazines, movies, TV, music _ and the sexual behavior of these teenagers, is just the latest evidence of the influence of environment. It is essential that America provide a legal and cultural environment for healthy families. The traditional family is not a lifestyle. It is the building block that sustains our lives and guarantees our future.

Second, let's have vouchers as a central part of national reform of education. It insults every American to think that in a country that is supposedly free that parents cannot choose where to send their children to school. Certainly, nothing short of bringing education into the marketplace will fix inner city schools.

Third, privatize Social Security. There are 35 million Americans over the age of 65 today. There will be twice this number in 25 years. By then we will have almost two retired Americans for every one working. It is simply impossible to sustain a retirement system based on payroll taxes. However, aside from the fiscal arithmetic, why, again in a country that is free, should every working American not have complete control of their wages and how they choose to invest for retirement?

Fourth, level the playing field regarding the tax treatment of health care and drive this product into the marketplace so that all Americans, whether they are working for big companies are not, are looking at the same realities for purchasing health care.

Americans are looking for clarity and leadership. Despite the complicated situation we're in abroad, we can still get aggressive with our domestic program.

When welfare reform passed 10 years ago, many, particularly those on the left, refused to believe that welfare mothers could change for the better and that the way to do it was to give them more, not less, responsibility. Ten years later, welfare rolls have dropped 60 percent and poverty rates among single women with children have dropped by 20 percent.

Republicans shouldn't be thinking about a replay of 1994 as a threat. They should view it as an opportunity. They just need to remember what made that revolution in 1994 a success.

Link (http://www.townhall.com/opinion/columns/StarParker/2006/04/24/194772.html)

Hardrock69
04-25-2006, 05:17 PM
Of course it has run out of steam.

They have not held up their end of this so-called "contract".

They have assisted in putting a genocidal maniac into the White House, and have accomplished none of the goals they were ranting about in 1994.

That contract is not even worth wiping Chimpy's ass with.

ODShowtime
05-13-2006, 10:42 AM
Why would anyone sign a contract with the biggest liars in history? Comeon! They way they've treating the Army Reserves should be enough to scare anyone away from the entire republican party. Just breakin contracts left and right... no biggie

FORD
05-13-2006, 01:07 PM
Contract With America: remember the term limit pledges?
by Kurt Kaletka
Thu Apr 27, 2006 at 04:35:28 PM PDT

Here's a blast from the past: remember the Contract With America? Briefly, the Contract was a short list of priorities that Republicans seeking to oust Democratic incumbents in 1994 offered up. It was well responded to: Democrats were tossed out in great numbers that year, with Republicans taking over both the House and the Senate. I was out of the country when this happened, so I don't remember the circus that I'm told surrounded it, but I do harbor a certain amount of regret for having missed it--it's like the same feeling you get when you find out you drove by a railroad crossing five minutes too late to see a train plow into a stalled car: you didn't want to see it, but on the other hand, there's a bloody fascination to it at the same time.

Anyway, Item 10 on the Contract With America was called the Citizen Legislature Act, which proposed that all legislators be held to a maximum of twelve (12) years' service in government. It never became law, but the Citizen Legislature Act was a principle that these congresspeople got elected on, telling the voters that it was high time to boot out the entrenched (Democratic) incumbents and get some fresh faces in office. Admirable, huh?

Despite that, there are plenty of legislators who ran on the Contract With America in 1994--that's 12 years ago!--who are running for re-election this year, thus exceeding their election pledge to stop at twelve years. Man! A broken campaign promise! Doesn't that just make you mad? Vote them out!

To help you out, here are the names of the Representatives who made this promise:

Charles Bass, NH-02
Steve Chabot, OH-01
Tom Davis, VA-11
Mark Foley, FL-16
Rodney Frelinghuysen, NJ-11
Gil Gutknecht, MN-01
Doc Hastings, WA-04
J.D. Hayworth, AZ-08
John Hostettler, IN-09
Walter Jones, NC-03
Sue Kelly, NY-19
Ray LaHood, IL-18
Tom Latham, IA-04
Steven LaTourette, OH-14
Sue Myrick, NC-09
Robert Ney, OH-18
Charlie Norwood, GA-09
George Radanovich, CA-19
John Shadegg, AZ-03
Mac Thornberry, TX-13
Todd Tiahrt, KS-04
Dave Weldon, FL-15
Jerry Weller, IL-11
Ed Whitfield, KY-01
Roger Wicker, MS-01

Here are the senators elected that year who made the same pledge:

Mike DeWine, OH
Jon Kyl, AZ
Rick Santorum, PA
Olympia Snowe, ME
Craig Thomas, WY

All of these Republican Contract With America candidates are seeking re-election! Of course, there were others elected in 1994 seeking re-election this year who did not make this pledge, but they're not on they hypocrite list. Republican Representative Phil English, PA-3, comes to mind. While I'm no fan of Mr. English, I can't call him a hypocrite, since he didn't make this promise. I'd like to see English out of office, too, but the hypocrite alert applies to the congress people listed above, not him.

So, citizens, it's your civic duty to keep your government honest, no matter what. Simply by running to serve in excess of twelve years, the above hypocrites are breaking their promise and living that lie, whether they win or lose. The best thing to do is to make sure they lose, so they'll be kept at least a little bit honest. Because if they'll break such a basic promise, who knows what other promises they'll break? If these congresspeople are currently representing you in Congress, help them break the addiction to incumbency that they ran against in 1994 and vote them out. Voting them out will help you, and it will help them. You owe it to your country.

And seeing that Bob Ney and Mike De Wine are both on this list we already KNOW they're criminals. While JD Hayworth and Jon Kyl are merely assholes. And Doc Hastings is just a fucking dumbass. Walter Jones recently repented of his "Freedom Fries" horseshit and stood up against the occupation of Iraq, which was a GOOD thing. But you made the pledge Walt, so you gotta GO!

Hold these Republicans to their promise. Force em out :D

Nickdfresh
05-13-2006, 02:39 PM
LOL@Brian's gay thread....

Originally posted by BigBadBrian
GOP's Contract with America hasn't run out of steam yet
Apr 24, 2006
by Star Parker

The Contract With America that Republicans ran on in 1994 was more than a slick election gimmick....

Link (http://www.townhall.com/opinion/columns/StarParker/2006/04/24/194772.html)
Here's a useful link. (http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/irony):)

bobgnote
05-13-2006, 05:19 PM
Bad Brain, never mind how BIG:

"What's the agenda for 2006?

First, let's get the marriage amendment passed. The recent study published in the Journal of Adolescent Health showing direct correlation between what teenagers are exposed to in all forms of media _ magazines, movies, TV, music _ and the sexual behavior of these teenagers, is just the latest evidence of the influence of environment. It is essential that America provide a legal and cultural environment for healthy families. The traditional family is not a lifestyle. It is the building block that sustains our lives and guarantees our future.

Second, let's have vouchers as a central part of national reform of education. It insults every American to think that in a country that is supposedly free that parents cannot choose where to send their children to school. Certainly, nothing short of bringing education into the marketplace will fix inner city schools.

Third, privatize Social Security. There are 35 million Americans over the age of 65 today. There will be twice this number in 25 years. By then we will have almost two retired Americans for every one working. It is simply impossible to sustain a retirement system based on payroll taxes. However, aside from the fiscal arithmetic, why, again in a country that is free, should every working American not have complete control of their wages and how they choose to invest for retirement?

Fourth, level the playing field regarding the tax treatment of health care and drive this product into the marketplace so that all Americans, whether they are working for big companies are not, are looking at the same realities for purchasing health care. "

Prelude to numbered response:

******s need not hope for the republic, with the BAD agenda. You blue collar Catholic idiots into manipulating and controlling because the DEMOCRATS let your uglies in for a power vacuum orgy need to stand down, fuck off, get a damn grip, YOU ARE NOT LEADERS! You are merely bushwick shit, sucked in by the FDR+ power vacuum.

1. Marriage AMENDMENT? Catholic Super******, PLEASE! You can't get a convention for your furburger-welfare jerkout, at 29% chimpy.

2. You Catholic ASSHOLES out and about in the service districts screwed up the funding, SO DO NOT EXPECT VOUCHERS, NOW THAT DEREGULATION OF, BY, AND FOR CATHOLIC Organized Criminal SUPER******S RAN ILLEGAL, INFLATIONARY POWER DEALS, so our system is no longer democracatic, but CATHOLIC. You WILL crush public campus education, but you will NOT get vouchers for your faggots in dickies. GET YOUR ASSES TO ONLINE ACADEMIES and shutup, download Buster and the girls, know what? PUSSYCAT DOLLS got the theme for YOU, ugly! You cannot fund your bogus bridges over troubled hiways, you ainted, sainted-talking BUSTER. You and your stupid girls are going ONLINE ED, or run off and join the ARMY.

3. The illegally interested US has illegally ran up interest, incurred illegal power deals, so the infrastructure is doomed. YOU QUEERS WHO DON'T GO TO CONFESSION ENOUGH FOR MAHMOUD FROM IRAN WANT TO PRIVATIZE THE SSA?! you shitheads. You ran illegal power deals, foreign reinvestment is doomed, the lot of you are TRAITORS for running the bad power deals through WAR, all the way through BRAC fraud, so Chimpy gets his overdue shots, before you assholes get one more of your punk conservatisms all Catholic'd in.

4. HEALTH CARE? You dipshit. Without single payer care IN THE HOUSE ALREADY, your tax bases are RIDDLED with funding scams. Your agents and ureaus are riddled with cross-contamination cospiracies and taints, from going-on obstruction of justice, sainted all up for you BID, bad-brained idiots, in your doomed American dickbag!At this time, with FIVE YEARS OF ILLEGAL COST PASSING SINCE THE ILLEGAL CALIFORNIA POWER DEALS, hospital and general health funding has NEVER been more controverted. All representative and administrative progressions since WWI are complicated and invalidated, by illegal and foreign participations in ALL representation. Health care is dying, with funding, all for revision, IF we survive the coming debacles, including terror attacks on infrastructure.

CAMPUS ED in California is DOOMED. Funding is fatally stricken. Your CATHOLIC blathering is out of place, in light of the 29% feature. Your blue-collar culture is CHOKING, on its own puke! Democratic-Republicanism depends on WEAK DEMOCRATS, true. But your bad brain struggles, to get blue-baby issues passed, on retards who are getting more stired up, than their red-state masters wanted.

At least SOME folks see they are stuck between ASSHOLES, ELBOWS, and Al Queda. Even FORD held Usama in some respect, despite FORD having no respect for anybody or anything REAL, usually. Certainly, FORD or any other who offers DEMOCRATS and their affected democracy will fail, at all advocacy. But you suck-ins will die!

Don't get us all DEAD, inc., Mr. SUCK! Power Vac feels good, huh? don't let how that feels on your stank-cheeser go to your little head, all night long, since your afternoon is already wasted.

With Mahmoud Ahmanijad calling for you no-ethics gits to git back to church, he is in denial of how Christianity is how Hos and Bos did it then and are DOING IT, NOW. They STOLE, and if not, RIPPED OFF.

So when Iran calls for a loop back into the usual media ethics vacuum, and you American Idiots into spin put up more of your piss-water, we are stuck in a lousy media LOOP, for your poop, your shit, spun up.

You and Mahmoud both suck, this weekend, Brian.

FORD
05-13-2006, 05:56 PM
Hey, why don't we have Sideshow Bob write the platform for the next Republican party convention. At least then they can claim a valid excuse for not keeping the promises.....

How the Hell would they know one way or another?

Dr. Love
05-14-2006, 02:15 AM
Remember: The weaker your point, the larger your font has to be to hide it.

Warham
05-14-2006, 08:18 AM
The contract must have worked. Democrats haven't been in control since 1994, and won't be for the forseeable future.

FORD
05-14-2006, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Warham
The contract must have worked. Democrats haven't been in control since 1994, and won't be for the forseeable future.

So your "forseeable future" only goes to November?

BTW have you called Charles Bass yet and told him to keep his promise? ;)

Warham
05-14-2006, 02:16 PM
No, I think Republican control will extend beyond this year, AND 2008.

FORD
05-14-2006, 03:25 PM
No, I think Republican control will extend beyond this year, AND 2008.

So stolen elections don't bother you at all?

Because there's no possible way Republicans can legitmately win. The public has had enough.

Enough useless wars. Enough corruption. Enough artificial gas prices. Enough outsourcing jobs.

Mr. Vengeance
05-14-2006, 06:23 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!! This topic made me laugh so hard I nearly dropped my gun!!!!

Hasn't run out of fucking steam?????? HOLY SHIT!!!! That's like saying REO Speedwagon hasn't run out of steam!!!!!!!

FUCKING SHIT!!!!! THE CONS JUST KEEP GETTING WOODY-ER AND WOODY-ER!!!!

Warham
05-14-2006, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by FORD
So stolen elections don't bother you at all?

Because there's no possible way Republicans can legitmately win. The public has had enough.

Enough useless wars. Enough corruption. Enough artificial gas prices. Enough outsourcing jobs.

Why isn't there any way Republicans can legitimately win?

What do the Democrats offer on any of the issues, besides being against whatever the Republicans offer?

Why should anyone vote for Democrats this year instead of just staying home from the polls?

LoungeMachine
05-15-2006, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by Dr. Love
Remember: The weaker your point, the larger your font has to be to hide it.

He had a point?

FORD
05-15-2006, 01:04 AM

Why should anyone vote for Democrats this year instead of just staying home from the polls?

By all means, stay home. I encourage every Republican to do so, as a protest of the corruption in your party :)