PDA

View Full Version : [COLOR=limegreen]High court won't intervene in fight over Jesus poster [/COLOR]

BigBadBrian
04-25-2006, 03:05 PM
High court won't intervene in fight over Jesus poster

By The Associated Press
WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court refused today to get involved in a fight over a Jesus poster that a New York kindergarten student submitted for a class assignment on ways to save the environment.

The Baldwinsville Central School District in suburban Syracuse wanted justices to stop a lawsuit filed by Antonio Peck and his parents, who claim his free-speech rights were violated when school officials censored his poster.

The justices' action in Baldwinsville Central School District v. Peck leaves in place an appeals court ruling that requires a trial to determine whether Antonio's rights were violated when school officials obscured a robed figure in the boy's poster in displaying it at a school assembly in 1999.

The New York-based 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals had agreed with the school district that there was no evidence to suggest teachers or administrators had acted with hostility toward religion when they folded Antonio's poster in half.

And the appeals court found that Antonio's poster was not responsive to his teacher's assignment to "save the environment" by depicting trash collection and conservation efforts.

[size=4But the 2nd Circuit said a trial must be held to determine whether Antonio's free-speech rights were violated because his poster was censored by the district's viewpoint on religion.[/size]

Antonio, now in the 6th grade, received considerable help from his mother, JoAnne, with two posters, the first of which was rejected because it did not depict any conservation efforts.

Link (http://www.firstamendmentcenter.org/news.aspx?id=16810)

FORD
04-25-2006, 03:15 PM
The real problem here was that some neocon shitbag probably complained because the poster suggested Jesus cares about the environment.

jhale667
04-25-2006, 04:09 PM
The kid should have gotten an 'F'. End of discussion. :D

Hardrock69
04-25-2006, 05:18 PM
Funny how followers of Jesus who are in office now are heavily responsible for ruining the environment.

FORD
04-25-2006, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Hardrock69
Funny how followers of Jesus who are in office now are heavily responsible for ruining the environment.

I doubt they ever read the Bible at all. This even goes beyond the words of Jesus Christ Himself, back to what his Dad said to Adam & Eve in Genesis.

The right wingers grossly misinterpret the word "dominion" (as in "God gave man dominion over the earth")

Dominion means "stewardship". In other words, God expected man to take good care of His creation. But the neocon shitbags confuse this word with domination, which means control, and the ability to do whatever you want. This attitude was best exemplified by Reagan's Secretary of the Interior James "wrong element" Watt, who justifed his horrible anti-environment policies by saying "I don't know how many generations we can count on before the Lord returns".

Well, it's now a generation later, and the Lord hasn't returned yet, but the residents of the Gulf Coast are paying for the damage done by Watt and his dominionist friends.

knuckleboner
05-15-2006, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by jhale667
The kid should have gotten an 'F'. End of discussion. :D

amen! ;)

binnie
05-15-2006, 03:55 PM
Global warming is a ticking bomb, and I don't see Chimpy doing anything about it!

General Fraud
05-21-2006, 05:07 AM
Originally posted by binnie
Global warming is a ticking bomb, and I don't see Chimpy doing anything about it!

I'm immune to a lot of things. Bullets, missles, nukes, knives...bad approval ratings, impeachment, and global warming too.

NOW don't you see why I'm such a great ruler?

Kneel before Fraud.