PDA

View Full Version : Dio "Holy Diver Live"

Mr Badguy
05-12-2006, 08:17 AM
I picked this up while the site was down.

Anyone else got it?

Why the fuck did they put long drum and guitar solos in the middle of the "Holy Diver" set?

It spoilt the concept of perfoming the album live.

The rest of the stuff is shit hot, though.

Dio sounds really old when he talks to the audience.

I wish he would do "Rainbow Rising Live", "Heaven And Hell Live" or "Mob Rules live".

C`mon Ronnie!

binnie
05-13-2006, 03:56 PM
Yep, I picked it up,

no need for the drum solo at all

Ronnie is underated as a singer, and "Holy Diver" is one of the metal albums of the '80's

He sounds old because he is old, in his sixties i think.

Hat's off to the man for still being metal!

Shaun Ponsonby
05-13-2006, 04:03 PM
Indeed...

I haven't picked it up yet, but I intend to.

Terry
05-14-2006, 04:41 PM
Am gonna give it a miss and eventually scoop up the We Rock dvd, which is two concerts from 1983. Would love to see a full-length show put out from 1984/Last In Line tour. That concert was fucking AWEsome!

The_KiD
05-14-2006, 04:46 PM
How is the sound quality of the recording? Decent?

The one thing I hate is all the DIO I have sounds frickin horrible and compressed..

KiD

Mr Badguy
05-14-2006, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by The_KiD
How is the sound quality of the recording? Decent?

The one thing I hate is all the DIO I have sounds frickin horrible and compressed..

KiD

Nah, the sound quality is good.

Doug Aldrich sounds just like he does on the Whitesnake DVD.

DavidLeeNatra
05-15-2006, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by binnie
Ronnie is underated as a singer

when was he ever underrated as a singer??? he's a lousy "dragon flies over the rainbow"-lyric-writer but he's never been underrated as a singer...

mark flood
05-15-2006, 10:04 AM
Saw lil' Ron here in Dublin around halloween. It was fuckin' great. I wish he'd do an ELF-RAINBOW tour. That shit is the best. Tarot woman opened up the set...absolutely SMOKIN'!! The video intro thing he had for when they were startin' the Holy Diver set is hysterical. In true metal fashion it's corny,extrordinarily literal and filled with the dodgyest effects and 3-D animation you've ever seen. Perfect.

DavidLeeNatra
05-15-2006, 10:57 AM
thumbs up fotos are gay :D

mark flood
05-15-2006, 12:01 PM
Well... I've never seen ANYONE give more thumbs up to the crowd than lil' Ronnie. Bless him. Ma buddy took a few nice picks.. and somehow missed all the thumb action. I ask ya...

RuzDNailz
05-18-2006, 12:15 AM
I became a fan of Dio out of the blue! It was the summer of 98' and I was in 'The Hammer' (Hamilton) to see Iron Maiden at the Copps Coliseum. WASP dropped out of the tour for some reason I can't remember and they had some other band called 'Dirty Deeds' take over. They were okay considering my first ever metal band live. Next was DIO and he opened up with Holy Diver and I was blown away! He did some well known hits, but when he did 'Don't Talk To Strangers'...everybody got up and had their lighters out. Talk about a great show! Iron Maiden on the other hand was good, but this was one year prior to Bruce Dickinson rejoining the band. Blayze was good, but these were probably his last shows with Maiden.

2003 DIO opened up for Iron Maiden again and he was still great. Heck, we were near front row and he looked at us giving us the 'horns'
sign! Holy Diver was performed to perfection but I was a little spoiled hoping for 'Don't Talk To Strangers' to be done. Who cares!? He still got us worked up for Maiden! My props to DIO not only for being a good performer....but also a well-known nice guy! Looks after all his
fans and APPRECIATES THEM!!!!