PDA

View Full Version : Paul Maurice takes over the reins of the Toronto Maple Leafs

POJO_Risin
05-12-2006, 10:10 PM
Coached the Canes to the 02 Cup finals...

seems to get more than what a team looks like it can give...

Should be a good hire for the Leafs...

and Maurice was a hot commodity this year...

Leafs promote Maurice to replace Quinn as coach
May 12, 2006
CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

TORONTO -- Paul Maurice was 3 months old when the Toronto Maple Leafs last won the Stanley Cup. He knows what must be done, and now is in position to do something about it.

"In this market it's pretty simple, you win or lose and there's no gray area in there," Maurice said Friday after being hired as coach of the Maple Leafs. "You're judged every game here, shift by shift as a matter of fact."

He replaces Pat Quinn, who was fired April 20. Maurice was in line to succeed Quinn when he was hired last year to coach the AHL's Toronto Marlies.

"It's humbling in a lot of ways to be charged with the task of coaching this team," he said at a news conference at Air Canada Centre.

The 39-year-old Maurice, the former coach of the Carolina Hurricanes, inherits a team that finished ninth in the Eastern Conference and missed the playoffs for the first time since the 1997-98 season.

The Maple Leafs are one of the league's anchors, but their last Stanley Cup came in 1967. Maurice is the 26th head coach in franchise history and understands the job's demands.

Paul Maurice gets a second chance as an NHL coach three years after being fired by the Hurricanes. (AP)
"You're not prepared for it and you can't be until you live it," he said. "But I'm also looking forward to that. ... This is the Toronto Maple Leafs, it's a dream. I know it's not always going to be friendly."

Maurice got a glimpse of what his future entailed last week while home in Windsor, Ontario.

"I'm walking in a mall and I have a guy from a wireless store yelling at me about the leadership of the club and who I should give an 'A' to," Maurice said. "And at that point I'm not even coach of the Leafs yet. So I have a sense this is a little bit different."

Leafs general manager John Ferguson called Maurice an "ideal candidate."

"I did know from Day 1 that Paul was brought in here to coach, his capabilities as an NHL coach had been demonstrated for seven-plus years with Carolina-Hartford," Ferguson said. "Out of respect for this organization it was the right thing to do for our organization to conduct an appropriate process."

Other NHL clubs called about Maurice, but Ferguson wouldn't let them near him.

"I heard from a number of my peers throughout the league to that effect, and it wasn't solely limited to the last couple of weeks," Ferguson said.

POJO_Risin
05-12-2006, 10:12 PM
Leafs promote Maurice to replace Quinn as coach

Maurice said his contract with Toronto had a clause that gave the Leafs first crack at him in terms of an NHL job.

"In your heart, you have a place you want to be," Maurice said. "I wanted to be here."

Maurice became coach of the Hartford Whalers (now Carolina) in 1995 at 28. He led the Hurricanes to the 2002 Stanley Cup final before losing to Detroit. He was fired by Carolina in 2003 after a 268-307-99 record over nine seasons.

The Maple Leafs went 41-33-8 this season, two points behind eighth-place Tampa Bay in the conference.

"I believe the style of game that will best suit the Maple Leafs is the style of game we played with the Marlies," Maurice said. "The game you're seeing in the National Hockey League is far more up-tempo, up-pace."

Ferguson and Maurice said Leafs captain Mats Sundin, who will enter the final year of his contract next season, remains in the club's plans despite Sundin's decision recently to sell his Toronto house.

"Leaving aside the speculation about his real estate transactions ... we've received nothing to make us doubt that he's still our leader," Ferguson said.

Last season, Maurice led the Marlies to a 41-29-6-4 record and fourth place in the Western Conference's North Division. The season ended with a first-round playoff loss.

"He's a better coach today than he was a year ago," Ferguson said. "This hiring is a critical and key step in positioning us back to where we need to be next season and beyond."

It's not yet clear who Maurice will have as his assistants. Keith Acton had been kept on board after the Quinn and Rick Ley firings.

"We're going to sit down with Keith and make a determination," Ferguson said. "We're going to discuss staffing at both levels."

Full Bug
05-12-2006, 11:32 PM
Should be interesting.....
Now if they would just fire our so called hack of a GM John Ferguson.....

Va Beach VH Fan
05-13-2006, 10:52 AM
That's got to be one pressure-filled job, coaching the Leafs (or the Habs or any other Canadian team for that matter)....

I'd compare it to coaching in New York....

Matt White
05-13-2006, 10:59 AM
"Head coach at 28...."

Paul is a quality guy....The Leafs are in good hands

guwapo_rocker
05-13-2006, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Matt White
"Head coach at 28...."

Paul is a quality guy....The Leafs are in good hands

Except for the moron we have for a GM, the nutbars in

upper management, and the fact that Sundin is about to

quit because he is sick of them all!!

POJO_Risin
05-13-2006, 11:19 AM
Maurice is a quality coach...I'm curious to see what he does with the rule changes since he was fired here in Carolina...

after setting the bar so damn high the Stanley Cup year...

the expectations did him in...

Carolina tried to give him a VP job...but he didn't want to cause rifts or issues with the new coach...so he left...

class individual...

Va's right though...

perhaps the toughest coaching job in the NHL...

Full Bug
05-14-2006, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by guwapo_rocker
Except for the moron we have for a GM, the nutbars in

upper management, and the fact that Sundin is about to

quit because he is sick of them all!!
Let Sundin quit if he wants, we need some new young blood anyway....Who could blame him at this point?

guwapo_rocker
05-14-2006, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Full Bug
Let Sundin quit if he wants, we need some new young blood anyway....Who could blame him at this point?

I agree, but the way he played at the end of the year when given

large minutes.....damn!!!!