PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy Smith...AKA "The Corpse" retired!

POJO_Risin
05-13-2006, 10:19 AM
Those of you that know me from fantasy football...knows that Jimmy Smith has been a mainstay on my teams 4 out of the past 5 years...

those of you that know me know that I think he may be the most overrated piece of crap of all time....

those of you that know me...know I try to draft him because I like bashing the piss out of him weekly...

he's been dubbed "The Corpse..."

whatever will I do...

Jaguars began preparing for Smith's departure years ago
May 12, 2006
CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- The Jacksonville Jaguars have been preparing for Jimmy Smith's retirement for three years.

They drafted receiver Reggie Williams with the ninth overall pick in 2004 and chose Ernest Wilford in the fourth round. They drafted quarterback-turned-receiver Matt Jones in the opening round last year and selected speedy wideout Chad Owens in the sixth.

And with their first-round pick this year, the Jags added versatile tight end Marcedes Lewis to the mix.

But can any of them replace Smith, a five-time Pro Bowl selection who abruptly retired Thursday after 13 seasons?

"We don't have a Jimmy Smith on the team now," Jones said Friday after the start of the team's three-day minicamp. "We don't have somebody that's that good. He was the best route-runner I've ever seen and one of the best receivers I've ever been around.

"You can't really replace him. We're going to have to try to get better and hopefully some of us can do that, but it's going to be tough to do."

It starts with Jones, a star quarterback at Arkansas who spent much of last season getting acclimated to his new position.

Jones opened practice Friday as the "X" receiver, the spot Smith filled the last 11 years in Jacksonville. The 6-foot-6, soft-spoken, laid-back, self-proclaimed country boy caught 36 passes for 432 yards and five touchdowns last season.

Jones had just nine receptions in the final six games, but his drop-off coincided with quarterback Byron Leftwich's ankle injury. Leftwich returned for Jacksonville's postseason loss at New England, where Jones caught six passes for 94 yards.

He should get even more opportunities this fall without Smith.

"I don't know if we have a (No. 1 receiver) right now," Jones said. "We have a lot of good receivers out here that are going to be able to compete. I think it will make us all better having that job open. It will make each of us better."

Wilford started opposite Jones on Friday, maintaining the spot he took over from Williams midway through last season.

The 6-foot-4 Wilford caught 41 passes for 681 yards and a team-high seven touchdowns last season. He moved into the starting lineup when Williams sustained a concussion and played so well that coach Jack Del Rio kept him there for the rest of the season.

Va Beach VH Fan
05-13-2006, 10:54 AM
Very solid receiver...

Had he not played in NFL small-market Jacksonville, he'd be a no-brainer Hall of Famer...

He might already be....

POJO_Risin
05-13-2006, 11:16 AM
I think he's a no-brainer Va...we got to watch he and that fucker Brunell knife the Steelers enough to know how good they were...

and he never really had a drop-off...

he didn't have receptions in his first 2 years...had 22 in his first year with Jacksonville...

then never had less than 1000 yards or 70 catches over the next 10 seasons...not counting the one year he missed 4 games...and he had 54 catches for 800 yards that year...

one of my corpse years...lmfao...

I didn't know the Cowboys drafted him...

Mama's Fool
05-13-2006, 03:26 PM
Not in the hall before Art Monk. Monk won't get in as long as Peter King has a say. Peter King must go...

POJO_Risin
05-13-2006, 04:37 PM
Monk should get in...he's every bit as good as Mike Irvin...

just didn't get his name in the papers for doing coke...

Peter King is an asshole...