PDA

View Full Version : Alligators Kill Three in One Week in Florida

Matt White
05-15-2006, 01:17 PM
By JENNIFER KAY, AP

MIAMI (May 15) - Florida had seen just 17 confirmed fatal alligator attacks in the previous 58 years. In less a week, there appears to have been three.
The bodies of two women were found Sunday some 130 miles apart.

Annemarie Campbell, 23, of Paris, Tenn., was attacked while snorkeling in a secluded recreation area near Lake George, said state wildlife spokeswoman Kat Kelley. The lake is about 50 miles southeast of Gainesville.

"The people she was staying with came around and found her inside the gator's mouth," said Marion County Fire-Rescue Capt. Joe Amigliore.

By poking the alligator's eyes and trying to open its jaws, the men were able to free Campbell's body, but she was dead when they found her, the Ocala Star-Banner reported.

Her stepfather, who had tried to help her, was treated on the scene for a hand injury.

"You just don't think of your daughter dying from an alligator," Campbell's mother, Dawn Marie Yankeelov, told the newspaper.

Authorities estimate the animal was 7 to 9 feet long.

In Pinellas County, the body of another woman apparently killed by an alligator was found in a canal 20 miles north of St. Petersburg, authorities said.

Judy W. Cooper's body had been in the water for about three days, authorities said.

The 43-year-old Dunedin woman suffered animal bites that were consistent with an alligator, which "did play some part in the victim's death," according to a preliminary autopsy. The cause of death was pending and the medical examiner's final report will not be released for at least four weeks, the sheriff's office said.

"We don't know the condition she was in when this happened," state wildlife spokesman Gary Morse said.

It was not immediately known why Cooper was in the area where wildlife officials said alligators are frequently spotted.

Cooper's family had not heard from her for about three months and she had a history of drug abuse, her sister, Dannette Goodrich, told The Orlando Sentinel.

Gary Goodrich, Cooper's brother-in-law, told the newspaper that officials said her purse was found near the water and drugs may have played a factor.

Authorities were baiting traps in their searches for both gators Sunday.

On Wednesday, construction workers found the dismembered body of a Florida Atlantic University student in a canal near Fort Lauderdale. A medical examiner concluded that the 28-year-old woman was attacked near the canal bank and dragged into the water.

On Saturday, wildlife officers captured an 9-foot, 6-inch alligator in Sunrise that they believe fatally attacked Yovy Suarez Jimenez while she was out jogging.

Suarez's death was the 18th confirmed fatal alligator attack in Florida since 1948. Nine other previous deaths are unconfirmed, mainly because it was not clear whether the person was already dead when the alligator attacked.

What provoked the attacks in three separate Florida counties was unknown, but state wildlife officials said alligators are generally on the move looking for mates and food this time of year.

"As the weather heats up, the alligators' metabolism increases and they have to eat more," Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission spokesman Willie Puz said Sunday. "They might be moving more, but that just shouldn't mean increased alligator attacks."

Florida residents are warned not to swim in heavily vegetated areas, feed wildlife or walk pets near the water, especially between dusk and dawn when gators are more active, Morse said.

05/15/06 05:55 EDT

binnie
05-15-2006, 01:19 PM
Holy Shit!

What a way to go!

That's awful man

DrMaddVibe
05-15-2006, 07:09 PM
If'n da gators don't git ya...the bugs will.

If'n the bugs don't git ya...the hurricanes will.

If'n the hurricanes don't git ya...the old people driving will.

If'n the old people driving don't git ya...the sunburn will.

If'n the sunburn don't git ya...then the amusement park lines will.

If'n the amusement park lines don't git ya...Then Mickey will steal your money.

If'n Mickey don't steal your money...then the sharks will.

If'n the sharks don't kill ya...you're one baddass muthafucka!!!

Roth on my Florida brothers!

Seshmeister
05-15-2006, 08:28 PM
Don't forget the morbid obesity...:)

Everytime I've seen an alligator they have done absolutely fucking nothing. It's hard to imagine them even moving never mind eating people...:)

Terry
05-15-2006, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
If'n da gators don't git ya...the bugs will.

If'n the bugs don't git ya...the hurricanes will.

If'n the hurricanes don't git ya...the old people driving will.

If'n the old people driving don't git ya...the sunburn will.

If'n the sunburn don't git ya...then the amusement park lines will.

If'n the amusement park lines don't git ya...Then Mickey will steal your money.

If'n Mickey don't steal your money...then the sharks will.

If'n the sharks don't kill ya...you're one baddass muthafucka!!!

Roth on my Florida brothers!

Yeah, but we Floridians (along with our California brethren) fear not any of the above, and will continue to provide entertainment for the rest of the country...as well as another Bush for Pres in 2008!

You're welcome.

The_KiD
05-15-2006, 08:55 PM
Having grown up in Florida around Alligators, this is actually very rare for this many attacks. Alligators will in most cases avoid people and mind their own business.

People however are usually not that smart. I have actually witnessed people feeding wild ones on several occasions. This is just idiotic. Alligators are usually fairly dorment during the sunlight hours but feed at twilight and nightime. Once you feed them they stop fearing you and will eventually think you are food..

Alligators can actually sprint in small spurts in speeds up to 35-40 MPH and will some times travel 20-30 miles in an evening. I have even seen one go half way up a tree after an animal. They are not a creature any of us want to cross their path or much less fuck with.

Anyway, it is a shame about these 3 women..

KiD

rustoffa
05-15-2006, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by The_KiD
Alligators can actually sprint in small spurts in speeds up to 35-40 MPH and will some times travel 20-30 miles in an evening. I have even seen one go half way up a tree after an animal. They are not a creature any of us want to cross their path or much less fuck with.

Anyway, it is a shame about these 3 women..

KiD

Good stuff right there. In addition to going halfway up a tree, they will sporadically lay on a low-lying limb, not unlike a snake. (small variety)

As far as the hauling ass thing goes, I have actually witnessed a gator nest (think large pile of pine straw) cuntplete with the hauling ass mama gator! As soon as I saw that large pile of pine straw, I picked up my small, yelping dog to hear a really loud hissing noise some 50 yards back! (I was hauling fucking ass) I looked back once to see that mothergatormotherfucker moving like Eric Dickerson at a NFL cuntbine!

Generally though, they're fairly docile, and you can throw small dogs out in brackish water no-named places just to make 'em wake the fuck up.
;)

DrMaddVibe
05-16-2006, 06:56 AM
Like Dickerson at a combine...LoL!!!!!!!!