PDA

View Full Version : What do you think the new Metallica album will sound like?

WARF
05-15-2006, 10:25 PM
Is this the final chance for Metallica to redeem themselves for the last few albums, including the abomination of St. Anger?

WARF
05-15-2006, 10:35 PM
Let's not forget the classic Slayer albums Rick has produced.

FORD
05-15-2006, 11:26 PM
Rick Rubin can produce Slayer, Tom Petty, the Beastie Boys, and Johnny Cash all in the same week and not think twice about it. Not many producers can switch musical genres so effortlessly.

That said, I'm not even sure he can help Metallica at this point. But I'll give it a fair listen, like I always do.

DrMaddVibe
05-16-2006, 07:02 AM
Other - Who cares about anything they've done since Cliff died?

binnie
05-16-2006, 07:14 AM
I think it'll be killer.

If they can harness the aggression and sheer riifage of St. Anger and weld it to decent production and spend more time of the structure/melody of the songs, should be a killer.

however, this band has been going 25 years and we still expect "Master of Puppets".

We don't expect the same from other bands that have been going 20+ years.

Why is that?

Hardrock69
05-16-2006, 08:27 AM
I would suspect Rick will not produce a piece of shit (like Bob Rock).

Rick is all about getting back to the real sound of the artist...which is why (for instance) Johnny Cash won at least 2 Grammys for Country Album Of The Year with no radio airplay whatsoever....

I trust Rick Rubin to actually do what is right,
:cool:

I trust Bob Rock to produce a slick, over-polished, light-weight, fluffy piece of shit.
:rolleyes:

binnie
05-16-2006, 08:28 AM
Ha Ha, I'm with that!

However, "The Black Album" - does that fall into that category?

Matt White
05-16-2006, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
Other - Who cares about anything they've done since Cliff died?

BING BING BING

YOU ARE CORRECT SIR!!!

binnie
05-16-2006, 10:44 AM
What about "...Justice"

'Cmon, the production aside, that's a motherfucker of an album!

Unchainme
05-16-2006, 04:22 PM
If they were Smart They would hire this man back to write for them.

http://www.davemustainerig.com/images/gallery/davemustaine13.jpg

Of course hiring Rick is a Step in the right direction, Can't wait to hear it.

WARF
05-16-2006, 05:07 PM
Mark my words...

This is gonna be the comeback album we have all waited years for!!!

binnie
05-16-2006, 05:10 PM
Hope so, although I have enjoyed all of their albums, I think the experimental phse of Load/ reload/ St. Anger should definately end,and they should play

HEAVY FUCKIN' METAL

Big, loud, muscular, and ballsy

mako_kimura
05-16-2006, 09:36 PM
Honestly, I really could care less what the new album sounds like. In my generation, Metallica is way overrated and gets too much credit. But, to satisfy my curiosity, I will give it a listen.

vheddyrmv8
05-16-2006, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by binnie
I think it'll be killer.
however, this band has been going 25 years and we still expect "Master of Puppets".

We don't expect the same from other bands that have been going 20+ years.

Why is that?

:rolleyes:

No shit people still expect Master Of Puppets, you think they can just keep making bad albums and expect people to buy it cause they feel bad for them? Give me a break, if they can't do it who else can?

And who here doesen't think that CVH could still rock if they reunited? They've been going way longer than Metallica.

binnie
05-17-2006, 12:38 PM
I think the key there is, "If they can't who can".

My point is why do we expect it from them?

we don't expect Highway to Hell from AC/DC, "Rocks" from Aerosmith etc

But with Metallica the expectation is so high, bands get old!

Sad but True!

Va Beach VH Fan
05-17-2006, 07:05 PM
After watching that egofest of a documentary, they're fucking done...

binnie
05-18-2006, 03:30 AM
I actually really enjoyed the documentary.

How Spinal Tap is it when Kirk says "I try and stay egoless as an example to the other guys"

Ha Ha

Jimmy Jingles
05-18-2006, 09:36 AM
I think Lars is too fucking lazy to record any sort of a real metal drum sound any longer. Remember in the SKOM doc when he was trying to lay down some double bass track and he just could not hold it together for a full minute? Lame bitch. Metallica needs to hire Dave Lombardo. That fucker rcoks the shit.

bastardog
05-18-2006, 10:10 AM
What metallica needs is to hang the gloves...

that way Mustaine can hire Hetfield as rithm guitar and make Megadeth sound like the old Metallica.

binnie
05-18-2006, 10:21 AM
Even if the album is shit at least they'll still tour and kick ass!

Mr. Vengeance
05-18-2006, 10:21 AM
They're not going to be helped by Rubin if the material they write sucks a pile of steaming bat shit! That's the major problem of the last few albums.

binnie
05-18-2006, 11:57 AM
Not all the songs on St. Anger were bad

Frantic

St. anger

My World

Sweet Amber

We're all good songs. The problem was that the rest were badly edited. But St.Anger showed a real hunger, passion and aggression.

even if you didn't like it, it was still a bold piece of art

Matt White
05-18-2006, 12:46 PM
ST. ANGER SUCKS DOG BALLS

PERIOD

binnie
05-18-2006, 02:28 PM
It was a step in the right direction tho', right!

Big, loud, heavy, aggressive and full of riffs!

I accept it's not for everyone, and I certainly think it should be an experiment rather than a new sound, but it pisses on LOAD\ RELOAD.

They've still got fire, just needs refining into some song craft, rather than assembling lots of pieces of jams.

I have hope!

Matt White
05-18-2006, 03:08 PM
NO RIFFS

TIRED LYRICS

STUPID DRUM SOUND....

AND NO GUITAR SOLOS.........

The LARS & JAMES SHOW...........................

binnie
05-18-2006, 03:42 PM
No Riffs!

'cmon man, there's nothing but riffs!!!

Mr. Vengeance
05-18-2006, 03:49 PM
I HATED the drums on St. Anger. It ruined every tune for me.

binnie
05-18-2006, 03:51 PM
I agree with you on that one, and I also think the lyrics were poor.

But if you just want sheer aggression, it's a good record.

But I don't want to see St. Anger 2.

If you watch the DVD that came with the CD, I think the songs sounded much better when they played 'em live, precisley because Lars got a better drum sound.

Mr. Vengeance
05-18-2006, 05:43 PM
I have the DVD as well from the album. I like it mostly because Trujillo injects a lot of energy into the action.

I mean I just have to wonder who told Lars to loosen the snare on his drum??? It's fookin' ridiculous!!!!!

Matt White
05-18-2006, 09:05 PM
There are NO memorable riffs....NOTHING....nothing guitarist out there are dying to learn...wanting to hear over and over again...

It's a throw-away recording......

FUCK 'EM....their done.

binnie
05-19-2006, 03:19 AM
Ouch!

knerken
05-19-2006, 06:53 AM
Rubin produced AC/DC's kickass-album Ballbreaker in '95, and he might do a good job on this one too...

And yeah, St.anger sucks.

DrMaddVibe
05-19-2006, 07:00 AM
When Cliff died...the band lost their way.

When Lars and James teamed with the RIAA and bring Napster down...it showed how greedy they really are.

They're a fucking mockery of what they once were. Only kids and new fans stick up for the bullshit that they put out nowadays. I suppose you like Korn and Linkin Park too?

They suck..."Monster" showed it.

Newsted had the senses to leave them behind. I'm banking that Robert will too.

Shaun Ponsonby
05-19-2006, 07:26 AM
I hope it's good-for their sake.

They keep fucking with us and it really is starting to get to people.

And, Binnie, maybe the reason we still expect "Master of Puppets" is because in almost 25 years they've made just 8 albums (discounting Garage, Inc and S&M), and only about half of them are worth paying full price for.

Its amazing how they've made less-than-great albums for so long, yet stay massively popular.

bueno bob
05-19-2006, 08:11 AM
Rick Rubin will produce a garage sounding, back-to-basics recording of Metallica playing shit metal...if you can even CALL it metal...

Which you really can't.

My Grandmother has more energy than that band does at this point. And my Grandmother passed away almost ten years ago.

binnie
05-19-2006, 10:33 AM
Ouch!

Hey I don't like Korn!

I hope it's a killer anyway, but I can see i'm not making any friends by supporting St. Anger!

Shaun Ponsonby
05-19-2006, 10:48 AM
Hey, St Anger isn't really THAT bad. If Lars would have used real drums as opposed to those steel drums (I'm convinced that that's what he used), and replaced a few verses with guitar solos, then you would have had a decent enough album. Not one to match their earlier work, but certainly better than the "Load" albums.

binnie
05-19-2006, 11:23 AM
Yep, agreed.

it still wipes the flooe with most of the NWOAHM, EMO, and contemporary metal bands

bueno bob
05-19-2006, 11:47 AM
At least they were playing fast again...on that, I'll give them that much credit...

Well, who knows? Rick Rubin can work wonders sometimes...and sometimes he produces Wolfsbane's debut album....

Wheeew-eee!

binnie
05-19-2006, 11:51 AM
LOL!

That is one I'm sure he'd rather forget

Matt White
05-19-2006, 01:02 PM
ST. ANGER SUCKS DEAD DOG BALLS

I knew theose clowns were done when I read the liner otes to the S & M abortion....
Hetfield:" I could almost see Cliff onstage with us....."

FUCK OFF 'YA SELLOUT MOTHER-FUCKER!!!:mad:

Like CLIFF said in "CLIFF 'EM ALL"

"We're not trying to be anything fancy....."

Fucking pathetic what Het & Lars did to that band..................

Mustaine should hold his head up high for getting kicked to the curb by those pussies!!!

binnie
05-19-2006, 01:19 PM
Wow, that's quite a chip on yer shoulder there.

Megadeth haven't done anything good since "Countdown..."

But Mustaine is an awesome guitar player and I am a huge fan, seen em five times.

Metallica are the greatest metal band of all time, IMO

Jimmy Jingles
05-19-2006, 01:25 PM
I would love for Metallica to put out a true kick ass album - but I have to agree with most here and say that they do not seem to have the 'hunger' they once had. They are rich, lazy bay area has-beens.

But like I said earlier, I would love to be proven wrong. Hetfield and his screamin’ Explorer is what turned me to the dark side back in the mid-eighties!

http://www.nolifetilmetal.com/images/metjames.jpg

Fucking bad ass right there!

Matt White
05-19-2006, 01:27 PM
Yup....I was into them when then MEANT something....

BEFORE they sold out & became a corporate WHORE..............

They were the alternative to Hair-Metal.....

Now...they follow trends in an attempt to stay relavent....relevant to corporate sponsorship.......

FUCK 'EM

What's next?

Rap-Metal?!?

Maybe they'll show up on TRL?!?

Maybe some young starlets in their videos......???

THEY'RE A FUCKING JOKE

Lindsay Lohan
05-19-2006, 02:07 PM
OMG! I could duet with them on somethin! LOL! WTF!

Jimmy Jingles
05-19-2006, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Lindsay Lohan
OMG! I could duet with them on somethin! LOL! WTF!

You should have a duet with my balls.