PDA

View Full Version : Final, Farewell and Goodbye Tours

MAX
05-17-2006, 04:50 AM
My little rant in the most recent "The Who" thread has inspired this topic. I'm tryin' to think, I'll name a few and would love to hear everyone's opinions, disgust, praises, attendence or what have you regarding these supposed "Bye Bye" tours. They also hit close to home heeya on these message boards goin' in the same vein as "Goodbye" threads from attention whores that never fucking leave no matter how many times they say they will. All of these are identical to five year olds "running away from home" where they keep goin' "Bye!!! I'm REALLY leaving, I'm going, I mean it..." All the while we're going "Take care and don't let the door hit you in the ass." lmao. :rolleyes:

I know it's difficult for these bands (especially when they were once worshipped) to let go. Plus, just imagine the egos involved? Not to mention the paydays of the first "Farewell" tour when us dumbasses actually believe that it will be the last chance to ever see such acts live. I mean they are (for the most part) fuckin' HUGE cash cows. Retirement means bank.

I'll start off with KI$$. Now, I never actually attended their "farewell" tour cos I cought their "reuinion" show in '95 or '96? I cannot remember and it was stellar. Anyhoo, how many times have Gene and Paul milked this fucking idea? They give Ace shit for leaving but Ace said that when he said "farewell" and toured behind it, he took it in the literal sense, meaning they were DONE and end of story. Now what do we have? Fucking two or three dipshits DRESSED UP as ORIGINAL BAND MEMBERS?!?!?!?!?

Who else comes to mind folks? I already did my huge "The Who" rant but they're actually pioneers in the craft of having a "Final" tour every season. They did "Who's Last" in 1982, made a couple of respectable "reunions" in the 80's (Live Aid and The 25th Aniversary Tour) which I could deal with. Shortly thereafer and up to this date, they still keep going and going all whilst continuing to use "The Who" even after one half of their lineup 'tis deceased.

The Doobie Brothers also spring to mind, however I'm not a huge fan so I'm not really sue if theirs falls under the same qualifications. They did a "Final" show in like 1982 but that was with Michael McCheese McDonald. The band reunited later in the decade but without that incarnation and I'm not sure if they ever played with that version again? That band has similarities "music-wise" with Van Halen (besides having the same producer and engineer; Ted Templeman and Donn Landee) cos they switched lead singers going from dope smokin', biker, beer drinkin' music to total Velveeta synth top 40 pop when their lead singers switched.

Other acts that vowed to retire all of their old catalogues or to just plain "hang it up" include Ozzy Osbourne, Billy Joel and David Bowie.

Anyway, who else am I forgetting and what are your collective thoughts?

Mr Badguy
05-17-2006, 04:58 AM
There are two ways of looking at it.

There is your way, which in some respects is right.

However, in twenty years none of those bands will be playing anyway (unless someone wipes their ass on stage) and maybe we should enjoy having them around while they still are.

Noone is forcing anyone to buy a ticket.

When they`re gone what kind of live music will we want to go see?

Tribute bands playing those songs?

Why don`t you just go and see at least one or two of the guys that wrote the stuff playing it.

How many new bands are there to get excited about?

MAX
05-17-2006, 05:16 AM
Now onto part two which our crew 'tis ALL TOO FUCKING FAMILLIAR WITH...

AH HAH!!!

Phoney "Reunion" tours. :mad: :rolleyes:

Two words VAN HAGAR a cupla years ago. I don't even need to go there cos I've mouthed that flop off repeatedly. That one was a triumph in a way for ous cos it had BEYOND poor attendence sales, arena's were tarped off, etc. That was a major blunder and just proves that Joe or Jane Q. Public sometimes aren't half as fucking gullible and stupid as today's music moguls think they are.

Another subject that goes along with this point are bands that "reunite" with vocal "clones" of MAJOR or KEY members to said bands. Although I cannot stand either one of the two I'm about to mention, they fall into said category. There's both Journey and STYX. From what I've read they tour year after year with vocal clones of Steve Perry (homo) and Dennis DeYoung (equally queeya) lmao. What do y'all think of that type of shit?

Another one are "bands" that go out with a band's name only to have like ONE fucking member from said band.

Where's Warham? Why? Cos friggin' Mike Love has been doing that for how long now? The old geezer tours as "The Beach Boys" when he's the ONLY "Beach Boy" there? WTF?

Or what about bands that have been deceased for eons only to appear as say "The Doors Millenium" or whatever the fuck they called it? Pure sacrilege IMO. What was that shit, like Ray Manzarek, Robby Krieger, some different drummer and that guy from The Cult dressed up in a Halloween costume portraying the legendary Lizard King? What bout "Creedence Clearwater RE-FUCKING-VISITED?!?!?!?" Seriously, what is that shit?

I know there's a ton more but this was just to get the ball rolling, so to speak.

Discuss.

Mr Badguy
05-17-2006, 05:59 AM
That`s different.

Nothing was goofier than Elvis`s band touring with him singing on a big screen.

sisca
05-17-2006, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by Mr Badguy
That`s different.

Nothing was goofier than Elvis`s band touring with him singing on a big screen. no fucking way. they actually did that shit and sold tickets? and got away with it?

Mr Badguy
05-17-2006, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by sisca
no fucking way. they actually did that shit and sold tickets? and got away with it?

Yeah!

It was over here a couple of years back.

You know what Elvis fanatics are like.

Jack68
05-17-2006, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by sisca
no fucking way. they actually did that shit and sold tickets? and got away with it?
Yup i went.I swear.It was different to say the least.It was with i think most of his original band

Jack68
05-17-2006, 10:32 AM
"They did "Who's Last" in 1982, made a couple of respectable "reunions" in the 80's (Live Aid and The 25th Aniversary Tour) which I could deal with"
Live Aid was a disaster.The 89 tour or 25th was hugely succesful.The OO started to surface again after the huge Quadrophenia tour.They then stripped down to a 5 piece again in 99 and began to play alot more.2001 was agreat year for them because they ownd and killed at the concert for ny.I think that type of hype keeps turning people on and such.i mean they played live 8 and people whoarent as educated as some as the people here are like man the who rocked!Zak didnt even play and they were decent,they played 2 safe songs and walked off.I gotta tell you im puzzled that you like the who on ice tour in 89 but dont like the stripped down version from 99-2002?89 had its benefits for sure watching Townshend wail on acoustic and play a wide range of songs.

Terry
05-17-2006, 02:50 PM
KISS is just the most obvious example of a band that's overstayed their welcome. But it's just in Gene's nature; rather than do a few years on the road for a reunion tour, then hang it up and go out on a high note, he and Pauline have decided to keep on going as long as there is a dollar to be made.

The Who did some good live work with Jones for the first couple of years he was in the band. But by the time It's Hard came out, that album and the lackluster tour that followed should have been enough to convince them to hang it up.

Lynyrd Skynyrd now is just a pathetic sham. Rossington, Powell and especially Johnny van Zandt should be ashamed of themselves. I could see them wanting to do one tour in 1987, so the band could end on a positive note, but they saw the money that could be made, and that was that.

diamondsgirl
05-17-2006, 05:34 PM
How 'bout that bitch Celine Dion.

She said goodbye with a big "farewell" tour in 1999 or 2000. Then, like 2 years later she came back with a new "I'm Back!" album and tour.

And while she was "retired" ( LOL ) she put out some "collectors series" bullshit.

WTF?? :confused:

Mr. Vengeance
05-17-2006, 09:30 PM
The Who are the worst......They have had so many FINAL shows, it's not funny. At least KISS comes up with excuses. The Who just keep going back out and out and out. They claim "last tour" and then find a reason to go back out. They haven't had an album since 1982 or something!!!!! Wasn't it It's Hard????? Was that 1982? KISS has at least produced new music in the last 25 years.

Another band that just won't die is CSNY....I love them! But they want $250 for a ticket to their latest "final" tour.... Call me when it's your "final" liver David.......

Seshmeister
05-17-2006, 11:46 PM
I think one of the funniest was Status Quo who had their sellout farewell final tour just after Live Aid 20 years ago.

They're still touring regularly and never even had a break...:)

Jack68
05-18-2006, 04:48 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
[B] The Who are the worst......They have had so many FINAL shows, it's not funny. At least KISS comes up with excuses. The Who just keep going back out and out and out. They claim "last tour" and then find a reason to go back out. They haven't had an album since 1982 or something!!!!! Wasn't it It's Hard????? Was that 1982? KISS has at least produced new music in the last 25 years.

The final show was supposed to be december 82 and yes Its hard was the album they toured on.That is the only time they used final tour.Actually it was the Farewell tour.That was 82,they did not go out and tour again until 89 which was a stadium highly successful 25th ann. tour.Which brings us to 96-97 where they toured for quadrophenia and then did a tour in 2000 and 2002(where the ox kicked at the start)they dont claim this is it this is our last tour,the only thing they are guilty of is doing a greatest hits tour every few years.There are some gaps in there from 82 -89,89-97 and such.Wheteher they are your thing or not is fine but they still have a pretty big and loyal fanbase who will go everytime they come out.Nothing for nothing i would think this has to be the last extended tour.They are not billing it as that but the us tour will SUPPOSEDLY have a full album to support it.I totally agree with your analysis on kiss,at least they have produced new music through the years.Look at the stones,as long as you put out new music people dont think youre ripping them off.Never mind the who or the two or townshend/daltrey.Forget the tour just give me one decent cd of new music.

Mr. Vengeance
05-18-2006, 05:40 PM
I mean there's nothing wrong with the Who, I just wish they'd make some music before they tour. Maybe with this album, they'll have a huge comeback? I'm sure everyone here will agree that it would be great to see The Who on the charts, rather than hip hop or those American Idol retards!

Jack68
05-18-2006, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
I mean there's nothing wrong with the Who, I just wish they'd make some music before they tour. Maybe with this album, they'll have a huge comeback? I'm sure everyone here will agree that it would be great to see The Who on the charts, rather than hip hop or those American Idol retards!
Amen to that brother then we could call it a day with some pride.

binnie
05-20-2006, 09:29 AM
Deep Purple.

They should either get Blackmore or fuck off!

Agree that Kiss should call it a day, I really dig 'em but they just damage their legacy.