PDA

View Full Version : Nirvana Fans Furious About Chili Peppers Video

rustoffa
05-19-2006, 10:23 PM
Friday, May 19, 2006

Nirvana fans are furious because they believe the new Red Hot Chili Peppers music video featuring a parody of late Nirvana lead singer Kurt Cobain is disrespectful.

In the video for "Dani California," the group dresses up like members of famous bands including The Beatles and The Sex Pistols.

In one segment Chili Peppers frontman Anthony Kiedis appears as a sullen Kurt Cobain, with a candle extinguishing before him.

The video's director, Tony Kaye, claims the band wanted to make sure no one was offended by the clip and even got permission from Nirvana's ex-drummer, Dave Grohl.

He explains, "It was a big concern of (Chili Peppers bassist) Flea's.

"Flea asked Dave Grohl if it was okay. Dave said yeah, Nirvana was about having fun."

Copyright World Entertainment News Network 2006

Unchainme
05-19-2006, 10:32 PM
I'm more offended they didn't have anthony with a guitar like the Unplugged show, Thats what bothered me. Everything else was fine.

FORD
05-19-2006, 10:53 PM
I haven't seen the video yet, But I'm reasonably sure the Peppers weren't trying to disrespect Kurt or the other members of Nirvana.

The Peppers lost one of their own founding members, Hillel "Huckleberry" Slovak due to heroin addiction, and Kiedis and Frusciante came close themselves, so they know first hand what Kurt got himself into.

Except the psycho cunt murdering wife part anyway.

ashstralia
05-19-2006, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by FORD
I haven't seen the video yet,

it's fucking EXCELLENT.

m_dixon1984
05-19-2006, 11:38 PM
The video also parodies eighties hair metal. At one point the band looks like they're poking fun at a makeup wearing band like Poison with the guitarist playing a black and white Frankenstrat replica. A wee bit offensive to VH and Eddie fans but its obviously just a bit of fun.

M

rustoffa
05-19-2006, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by m_dixon1984
The video also parodies eighties hair metal. At one point the band looks like they're poking fun at a makeup wearing band like Poison with the guitarist playing a black and white Frankenstrat replica. A wee bit offensive to VH and Eddie fans but its obviously just a bit of fun.

M

Nope, INCORRECT.

Flying V.

m_dixon1984
05-20-2006, 12:00 AM
Yes, you are INCORRECT...watch the video again. There's definitely a black and white Frankenstat being played. A flying V as well, I do know the difference, and a lot of others as the scenes and costumes change.

M

binnie
05-20-2006, 03:20 AM
Is one of the rules of been a Nirvana fan that you have to have no sense of humour?

Faggots

Dan
05-20-2006, 03:37 AM
Top Video.The Guys are just having Fun anyway.

MAX
05-20-2006, 08:52 AM
Have yet to see the video? Heck, I have yet to see ANY video's post 1992. lol.

Anyhoo, I've listened to quite a bit from "Stadium Arcadium" and I'm beyond thrilled that The Pepps are back to having a bit of "fun" as opposed to taking themselves so fucking seriously.

More props to FORD for giving a mention to Hickleberry or "Slimboy" cos most folks don't know about that era and the REAL Pepps. Uplift Mofo Party Plan 'tis/was the ONLY Pepps album that had the lineup as it was intended and meant to be. They were a tight crew, unit and core group of real friends that went all the way back.

As much as I dig Chad Smith, Jack Irons was such a fit but when Hillel passed in '88 it all changed.

Well, I just blabbed but again, I'm happy to see the band goin' in such a route.

binnie
05-20-2006, 09:14 AM
Have to respectfully disagree there Max

Love the early stuff, but think they peaked with Mother's Milk.

Agree that Stadium is better than By the Way and Californication, where they did take themselves way too seriously

thome
05-20-2006, 10:33 AM
I don't think.................it parodies anything........
I think..... it's a time line progression of the visual rock legacy.

cool and fun vid, good to see VH1 with something other than that high
pitched voiced twit singing his pitifull lamentations...
Rock On!

MAX
05-20-2006, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by binnie
Have to respectfully disagree there Max

Love the early stuff, but think they peaked with Mother's Milk.

I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I was not referring to "Freaky Styley" nor the self titled debut. "Uplift" was the ONLY solid album made with all four of the ORIGINAL members of the band and how THEY intended it to be. That lineup went back to junior highschool. After "Uplift" Hillel died, Anthony went into a heroin induced funk and due to those factors Jack Irons bailed. Listen to "Me and My Friends" from "Uplift" and that pretty much explains the original Peppers to a tee.

"Mother's Milk" 'tis indeed a stellar album but even that was a tribute to Hillel. Heck, when they hired Fruchiante, he was nothing but some nineteen year old Hillel clone wannabe. I'm NOT taking ANYTHING away from him at all but at the time, that's all he was.

"Mothers Milk" even included the epic cover of "Fire" from Hendrix with the original four. Just because of that, it takes away a SOLID and permanent "band" effort IMO on that record. I also remember that "Taste The Pain" was originally recorded with both another guitarist (Blackbird McNight) and another drummer, only to have Smith and Fruchiante overdub in the last hours prior to release.

Agree that Stadium is better than By the Way and Californication, where they did take themselves way too seriously

Yup and we're definitely on the same page. :cool:

I never even purchased "BTW" cos I'd lost interest in them and was pretty bummed with the direction they'd taken. I'm one of the very few who actually thinks "One Hot Minute" blows "Californication" out of the water. Although OHM was kind of a sloppy, confused and misguided effort, it cranked out a good vibe and I liked Navarro in there.

Fuck, the Pepps have been through sooooo many incarnations, yet they've never actually made it onto the recordings, you know?

There are two versions and incarnations of the band IMO. They go as follows:

Keidis, Flea, Irons and Slovak - Original and Classic

Keidis, Flea, Smith and Fruchiante - Current and Second Classic

Hard to explain the rest of the playas over the yeeyas. lol. However, if one's followed them, ther are indeed many, many names. lol.

Jesse Tobias, Arik Marshall anyone?

FORD
05-20-2006, 01:44 PM
And then there was the Navarro thing, which "on paper" looked like a great combination. But on CD, didn't turn out that way.

Shaun Ponsonby
05-20-2006, 02:40 PM
Then, Nirvana fans have no sense of humour. (Can you blame them? They listen to such a miserable band.)

thome
05-20-2006, 03:09 PM
One tune by everyone is good .. Teen Spirit

One by.. well many by Sound Garden but i don't think they are a c
lone of nirvana.

I have never figured out how one tune makes a Dynasty of followers

the seatle sound was so copied burned to a frazzle by 95.

There are deff some bar bands out with tunes that never get air time
that blow the doors off most of what went on in the 90s .

The Chilli Peppers have a large book and deserve great things..
If anyone is bitching it may be because they still don't get it..!

Since Dani California came out (i saw the vid about a monthe ago)
i haver been burning my CD in my vehicle down with Red Hot Chili Peppers Greatest Hits ( a comp from Warner Bros) Mainly
the tune -Parallel Universe- every split second of this monster rules
so much in the time it is .

I'll p/u stadium shortly two disks whoda thunk it!

DavidLeeNatra
05-20-2006, 05:48 PM
to me it would be fun if they took some drugged up bitch to shoot some drugged up idiot in his drugged up head with a shotgun...

rustoffa
05-20-2006, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by m_dixon1984
Yes, you are INCORRECT...watch the video again. There's definitely a black and white Frankenstat being played. A flying V as well, I do know the difference, and a lot of others as the scenes and costumes change.

M

I was INCORRECT. Sorry bro, all I remembered was the V...

That lampooning of Danzig was some LOL shit!

After watching it again, I don't see what the Nirvana contingent's problem would be. They actually ended the bit with the "gone too fast" lyric as the candle went out. Seemed more of tip of the hat to me.

This is like the epitome of post-grunge angst!!!
:D

DavidLeeNatra
05-20-2006, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by rustoffa
After watching it again, I don't see what the Nirvana contingent's problem would be. They actually ended the bit with the "gone too fast" lyric as the candle went out. Seemed more of tip of the hat to me.

that's why I'd prefer the shotgun version...

Drblacwood84
05-20-2006, 08:27 PM
its a good sonng but if they dont like it they can keep their sacks in line and not watch it

rustoffa
05-20-2006, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
that's why I'd prefer the shotgun version...

Natra! Quit stirring the pot!

I'm trying to be neutral here!!!

DavidLeeNatra
05-20-2006, 08:48 PM
Natra! Quit stirring the pot!

I'm trying to be neutral here!!!

I don't :D

http://www.celebritymorgue.com/kurt-cobain/publicity-gun.jpg

shotgun! shotgun!

DavidLeeNatra
05-20-2006, 08:50 PM
on the left what's left from kurt...

http://www.celebritymorgue.com/kurt-cobain/kurt-cobain.jpg

DavidLeeNatra
05-20-2006, 08:51 PM
Kurt Cobain's body was discovered on April 8, 1994 by electrician Gary Smith, who was to install a burglar alarm in the residence. It is likely he killed himself on April 5. Heroin and valium both were found in his blood. The shotgun blast destroyed his head to the point where he was not recognizable; the body was identified from fingerprints. Cobain was 27.

rustoffa
05-20-2006, 09:09 PM
The shotgun blast destroyed his head to the point where he was not recognizable; the body was identified from fingerprints.

I guess they really would have been pissed if the RHCP had brought in some makeup experts for the vid!

DavidLeeNatra
05-20-2006, 09:12 PM
I guess they really would have been pissed if the RHCP had brought in some makeup experts for the vid!

now this thread starts to "grunge" :D

Grant
05-20-2006, 09:49 PM
Saw that video...didn't see anything deemed to be offensive about it. They weren't trying to mock Kurt or Nirvana in anyway.

Was cool seeing the 1978 black and white Franky replica.

cdwillis
05-20-2006, 10:17 PM
Nirvana fanatics are stupid. Obviously the RHCP video was supposed to be a tribute to music they love through all the years.

Unchainme
05-20-2006, 10:29 PM
Jesus Christ...Another fucking Nirvana Bashing thread :rolleyes:, Yeah lets make fun of somebody's who's dead, Thats really classy.

Unchainme
05-20-2006, 10:34 PM
OMG! OMG! Nirvana ruined music, If wasn't for Nirvana, Nelson and White Lion would have a career! Those Flannel Suicide Note Writing Bastards, They really destroyed Music didn't They?

[Sarcasm]

rustoffa
05-20-2006, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by Unchainme
OMG! OMG! Nirvana ruined music, If wasn't for Nirvana, Nelson and White Lion would have a career! Those Flannel Suicide Note Writing Bastards, They really destroyed Music didn't They?

[Sarcasm]

I don't think they ruined music. It's all cyclical. Something comes out, the machine promotes it, rinse and repeat.

IMO, Cobain was never cuntpletely comfortable with being promoted by the machine. I mean, the dude covered "The Man Who Sold The World", and a couple of Meat Puppets songs on the unplugged deal.

He should have just taken a deep breath, and tried to get his mojo back, 'ala John Cougar Mellencamp.

Unchainme
05-20-2006, 11:26 PM
He should have just taken a deep breath, and tried to get his mojo back, 'ala John Cougar Mellencamp.

that would've been cool :), Mellancamp is awesome IMO BTW.

sadly Kurt was married to the gunts to end all gunts, So that ruined his chances to stick around.

rustoffa
05-20-2006, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by Unchainme
sadly Kurt was married to the gunts to end all gunts, So that ruined his chances to stick around.

Heroin ruined his chances to stick around. Love capitalized.

DeadOrAlive
05-21-2006, 01:51 AM
White Lion actually had some talent... The guitarist is one to admire...

m_dixon1984
05-21-2006, 04:01 AM
Originally posted by thome
I don't think.................it parodies anything........
I think..... it's a time line progression of the visual rock legacy.

cool and fun vid, good to see VH1 with something other than that high
pitched voiced twit singing his pitifull lamentations...
Rock On!

You don't think the visuals in this video are in any way a parody to the history of rock? Maybe you need to see a definition of parody (from Cambridge Dictionary online):

parody Show phonetics
verb [T]
to copy the style of someone or something in a humorous way

Here's another from Wikipedia:

In contemporary usage, parody is a form of satire that imitates another work of art in order to ridicule it. It can also be used to poke affectionate fun at the work in question. Parody exists in all art media, including literature, music, and cinema. Cultural movements can also be parodied. Such works are also sometimes colloquially referred to as spoofs

It would be hard to question that the video isn't "poking affectionate fun" at some of Rocks biggest names: Beatles, Zeppelin, Van Halen, Nirvana, Kiss, and others. I certainly don't think the Peppers were being intentionally disrespectful and if fans were offended, well that's the nature of parody. Some will see it as "affectionate fun" and others will see it as ridicule. Weird Al has had to deal with the after effects of parody his whole career.

I enjoy the video and certainly think it's meant as a bit of fun. Nirvana fans have to lighten up. Just because your idol's image has been used in some sort of humourous context (and I see it as an homage, not ridicule) doesn't immediately point to disrespect. The reaction of some Nirvana fans is reminiscent of the reaction of some Muslims to the Dutch cartoons. Quite unreasonable...praise Alah.

As sala'amu alaikum.

M

DavidLeeNatra
05-21-2006, 05:01 AM
nirvana ruined nothing they were just overrated and sucked...

Shaun Ponsonby
05-21-2006, 10:06 AM
Indeed...

They were too miserable. Cheer the fuck up you wankers.
It's not all doom and gloom.

binnie
05-21-2006, 02:53 PM
They were a GOOD band.

Not a GREAT one.

Nobody deserves the amount of acclaim that they received for doing precisley what had been going on the underground during the '80's.

"In Utero" was the defining moment.

but the hardcore nirvana fanbase, is a oack of turds

Diamondjimi
05-24-2006, 12:01 AM
I like the shotgun/lasagne face idea !

He's dead people gotta get over it...............

Dave's Bitch
05-24-2006, 04:56 PM
nirvana ruined nothing they were just overrated and sucked...

LMAO
best post of the whole thread

DavidLeeNatra
05-24-2006, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by Dave's Bitch
LMAO
best post of the whole thread

;)