PDA

View Full Version : LA setting to make a run at NFL franchise...

POJO_Risin
05-21-2006, 04:24 PM
Okay...

It looks like they are going to ask for tax money to improve streets and transit around the Coliseum...

and put in 800 million of private funds into revitalizing the Coliseum...

christ...that's a lot of cash...

can't imagine that would keep an NFL team from coming...

Yo Brett...is this something that's realistic?

BITEYOASS
05-21-2006, 04:28 PM
How about the LA EGOS! :D

Brett
05-21-2006, 05:00 PM
I've said this before that NFL wants to come here more than the city wants the NFL. There's this small group of people that is obsessed with bringing pro football back here, so they're trying to gain private funding for the Coliseum upgrade.

NOBODY in LA wants to put their tax money towards bringing a team here, so we'll see what public funding they get. I'm happy I don't live in LA County anymore and have to deal with it. Just over the border.

The Coliseum is actually in pretty good shape now, obviously doesn't have the luxury box crap that a pro team would demand. But when it was renovated about 5 years ago for USC football, it's great for college football now.

POJO_Risin
05-21-2006, 05:03 PM
Well...the NFL has pledged a boatload of money...

but it looks like they still need the 25 million or so to fix the roads and shit like that...

Brett
05-21-2006, 05:04 PM
They just want to figure out where people can park, etc. It's a mess down there for football games, I've had to walk for 10 minutes to get to the stadium, and park in the hood. That's the kind of shit they are aiming to deal with. Nobody wants to park their Lexus on 55th Street. The traffic congestion created by football near the Coliseum/USC is absolutely ridiculous. Plus USC just built a new basketball arena right there, so now you're talking double the congestion.

POJO_Risin
05-21-2006, 05:13 PM
What the hell does the NFL think they can do now...that they couldn't do before...with 2 teams?

Va Beach VH Fan
05-21-2006, 05:24 PM
Well, even if somehow they were to make a deal, who would move ??

You've already got 32 teams, going to 33 or 34 would be ridiculous...

The obvious answer is New Orleans, that would be political mess now that everyone has "pledged" to keep the Saints there...

Brett
05-21-2006, 05:26 PM
Cool, Reggie Bush back at the Coliseum!

Yeah that ain't happening.

POJO_Risin
05-21-2006, 05:30 PM
Maybe they'll move the Browns...;)

What about Minnesota...weren't they an option?

EbDawson
05-21-2006, 05:55 PM
Chargers will probably be leaving San Diego after 2008. The city is heavily in debt thanks to the politicians. No city money is available for funds for a new stadium which the Chargers need. No Bill Gates in the area to pump in 400-500 mill. that would be needed. Sad deal really. However, Vegas wants them so does San Antonio. Los Angeles Chargers? I don't see that happening. I don't see any pro team setting up shop in the Coliseum long term. They would want a new, state of the art stadium built.

rustoffa
05-21-2006, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by EbDawson
Chargers will probably be leaving San Diego after 2008. The city is heavily in debt thanks to the politicians. No city money is available for funds for a new stadium which the Chargers need.

Wasn't CBS pushing the Dolts to LA thing a few years back?

Arguably the biggest market in the country idle....

EbDawson
05-21-2006, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by rustoffa
Wasn't CBS pushing the Dolts to LA thing a few years back?

Arguably the biggest market in the country idle....

Around '97-'98, they spent like 60 mill. on Qualcomm/Jack Murphy. The Chargers had said then, if that restructuring didn't go thru, they may have been forced to leave. L.A. was one possibility. Maybe just scare tactics though. Qualcomm is almost 40 years old, only seats 65,000. A new stadium is pretty much a must for a team to stay here.

Unchainme
05-21-2006, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by POJO_Risin
Maybe they'll move the Browns...;)

Maybe the Steelers will move and Karma will strike. ;)

Unchainme
05-21-2006, 09:31 PM
Heres what they should do.

New Orleans moves To San Antonio

New Orleans Gets a New Team.
Keep the Saints name.
in 2008

LA gets a New Team

in 2008

Brett
05-22-2006, 02:27 PM
The Saints aren't going to move to another small market, that makes no sense. The NFL is about corporate dollars, not the fanbase, that's just the way it is. The Browns had very rabid fans, and still Modell left town. It's not about the fans, it's about the moolah. And one thing LA has plenty of is, corporate cashola. And the league wants this city more than the city wants the NFL.

Va Beach VH Fan
05-22-2006, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by Unchainme
Maybe the Steelers will move and Karma will strike. ;)

Where's that BAN button.... ;)

Unchainme
05-22-2006, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
Where's that BAN button.... ;)

Oh No!

Seriously though, If the Browns did move again, I would become a Colts fan or something. I don't know what I would do with myself.