PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Sen. and Treasury Secretary Lloyd Bentsen has died.

BigBadBrian
05-23-2006, 11:04 AM
Story to follow.

Hardrock69
05-23-2006, 11:40 AM
Why don't you go picket his funeral, ala Reverend Phelps?

Seems to be your style...

Nitro Express
05-23-2006, 12:31 PM
Llyod Bentsen: "I knew Jack Kennedy and you sir are no Jack Kennedy."

Dan Quail: "You are spelling it wrong. Potato has an "E" on the end of it!"

FORD
05-23-2006, 01:38 PM
Former Sen. Lloyd Bentsen dies at 85
He also served as treasury secretary, ran for vice president
The Associated Press
Updated: 8:52 a.m. MT May 23, 2006

HOUSTON - Lloyd Bentsen, a courtly Texan who represented the state in Congress for 28 years and served as President Clinton’s first treasury secretary, died Tuesday morning, his family said. He was 85.

Bentsen, also the Democratic 1988 vice presidential nominee, died at his home in Houston.

His distinguished political career took him from the humble beginnings of a county office in the Rio Grande Valley in the 1940s to six years in the U.S. House, 22 in the U.S. Senate and two in the Clinton Cabinet, where he was instrumental in directing the administration’s economic policy.

A shrewd legislative operator, the silver-haired politician maneuvered with ease in Democratic and Republican circles alike on Capitol Hill, crafting deals behind the scenes in a dispassionate, reserved fashion.

Chairman of the tax-writing Senate Finance Committee for six years, Bentsen was a solidly pro-business Democrat who compiled a record as a staunch advocate of international trade and protector of the oil and gas industry.

Former U.S. Rep. Ken Bentsen described his uncle’s life as incredible.

“He not only achieved a lot but took advantage to make his state, his nation and the world better,” Bentsen said in a December 2003 interview.

Wealthy Texas family
The scion of a wealthy Rio Grande Valley family, Bentsen first distinguished himself in World War II, where he flew 50 bomber missions over Europe. Returning home as a decorated veteran, the 25-year-old was elected Hidalgo County judge in 1946. Two years later, he moved to the House.

In his first House term, Bentsen was one of a handful of Southern congressmen voting against the poll tax, which was used to keep blacks from voting.

Despite the prediction of one of his mentors, legendary House Speaker Sam Rayburn, that he, too, could one day become speaker, Bentsen decided not to seek re-election in 1954. Instead, he opted to return to private life in Houston and build his own fortune, using several million dollars in seed money from his family.

Flush with corporate success, the millionaire felt the call of politics anew and decided in 1970 to challenge liberal Democratic Sen. Ralph Yarborough. After winning a bitter primary, Bentsen went on to defeat his Republican rival, Congressman George Bush, for the first of four Senate terms.

The moderate-to-conservative Democrat, who preferred to work away from the limelight, quickly built a reputation as a bipartisan coalition builder.

National ambitions led him to seek the 1976 Democratic presidential nomination, a race he quickly abandoned after gaining little support. Returning his attention to the Senate, Bentsen cemented his expertise in tax, trade and economic issues as well as foreign affairs.

By 1988, Bentsen was one of the Senate’s most respected voices. That year, Democratic presidential nominee Michael Dukakis tapped the elder statesman as his running mate.

The Dukakis-Bentsen ticket went down hard, losing 40 states — including Texas — to the Bush-Quayle team.

© 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

© 2006 MSNBC.com

URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12934110/

FORD
05-23-2006, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Nitro Express

Here's the full quote, along with Dumbass Danny's, in context......

Quayle: … I have far more experience than many others that sought the office of vice president this country. I have as much experience in the Congress as Jack Kennedy did when he sought the presidency. I will be prepared to deal with the people in the Bush administration if that unfortunate event would ever occur.

Moderator: Senator Bentsen.

Bentsen: Senator, I served with Jack Kennedy. I knew Jack Kennedy. Jack Kennedy was a friend of mine. Senator, you're no Jack Kennedy.

Whatever else Lloyd Bentsen did in his career, it's that line that most Americans will remember him for.

LoungeMachine
05-23-2006, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
Story to follow.

Story to follow?

You had such a little chubby over this, and wanted to be the first to post it so badly.......and couldn't help but add the democRAT line.....

You do know in places you can't access here, you're even laughed at by your "own side", right?

fucking little man. :rolleyes:

He was an American Patriot. Have some respect.

EAT MY ASSHOLE
05-23-2006, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
Story to follow.

as if there's anymore to tell???

The former VPs name is spelled "Quayle". If you're going to mock him for spelling errors, it would serve you well to not display such a fine example of pathos.

Originally posted by LoungeMachine
Story to follow?

You had such a little chubby over this, and wanted to be the first to post it so badly

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!!!

Switch84
05-24-2006, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
as if there's anymore to tell???
The former VPs name is spelled "Quayle". If you're going to mock him for spelling errors, it would serve you well to not display such a fine example of pathos.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!!!

:D :D :D I guess dude was in a rush to toss up that quote, EMA. In a pathetic attempt to dog the man that beat the late Senator, he ended up looking as goofy as QUAYLE!

As for 'respecting an American patriot', I don't recall that same plea for late President Ronald Reagan.

Hypocrisy is a staple for Lefties, I see...

LoungeMachine
05-24-2006, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by Switch84

As for 'respecting an American patriot', I don't recall that same plea for late President Ronald Reagan.

Hypocrisy is a staple for Lefties, I see...

I don't recall posting a thread about Ronnie's death with the sub-title "another Repuke bites the dust"

So get your facts straight.

Because there's certainly no hypocrisy coming from the Neo Cons :rolleyes:

Switch84
05-24-2006, 01:46 AM
I don't recall posting a thread about Ronnie's death with the sub-title "another Repuke bites the dust"

So get your facts straight.

Because there's certainly no hypocrisy coming from the Neo Cons :rolleyes:

:p I'm not referring to a thread. I'm referring to the disrespect towards him following his death etc in general. Whether you agreed with his stance on the issues or not, he was President of this nation, governor of Cali and a war veteran. Bentzen made his mark and I didn't care for everything he was about, either, but I respect his serving this nation.

The problem with alot of folks is they can't seperate their own biases and bullshit from the simple (and dignified) act of paying homage to the dead. Can you?

Nitro Express
05-24-2006, 02:10 AM
No I was thinking Quail because I was hungry. Where's my shotgun?

knuckleboner
05-24-2006, 10:12 AM
No I was thinking Quail because I was hungry. Where's my shotgun?

i think i saw cheney toting it. word of advice, let him keep it...

LoungeMachine
05-24-2006, 10:33 AM
:p

. Bentzen made his mark

How ironic....

You laugh at someone for getting Quayle's name wrong, and then talk of the hypocrisy of the Left.........

And then get Bentsen's name wrong....:D

Quail / Quayle

Potato / Potatoe

LMMFAO

;)

Isn't partisan politics fun?

Switch84
05-24-2006, 04:29 PM
How ironic....

You laugh at someone for getting Quayle's name wrong, and then talk of the hypocrisy of the Left.........

And then get Bentsen's name wrong....:D

Quail / Quayle

Potato / Potatoe

LMMFAO

;)

Isn't partisan politics fun?

:p I did that on purpose to see if my statement about RESPECTING THE DEAD would be acknowledged. You just proved my point that you can't focus on jack shit but your blind hatred for anything conservative. You obviously cannot put your biases aside and show respect.

Thank you for proving my point. Now you can go back to your regularly scheduled hating.

LoungeMachine
05-24-2006, 06:10 PM
:p I did that on purpose to see if my statement about RESPECTING THE DEAD would be acknowledged. You just proved my point that you can't focus on jack shit but your blind hatred for anything conservative. You obviously cannot put your biases aside and show respect.

Thank you for proving my point. Now you can go back to your regularly scheduled hating.

LMMFAO

uh huh :rolleyes:

Ok, thanks for the green light.

I've been holding my breath. :D

Guitar Shark
05-24-2006, 06:21 PM

Forgive me, but I must have missed your post in this thread expressing respect for the death of BENTSEN.

I guess it was enough for you to derail the thread with a Reagan comment, right?

Right...

LoungeMachine
05-24-2006, 06:54 PM
I just love the old...."I did that on purpose to prove a point" line......

priceless.

Who else on the right can never admit a mistake?

hmmmm?

Nitro Express
05-24-2006, 09:44 PM
Shit when Dick Chenney isn't living in Washington DC, he lives here in Jackson Hole. All I know is I'm never going hunting with that dude or letting him use my dog for that matter!

BigBadBrian
05-30-2006, 09:42 PM
Story to follow?

You had such a little chubby over this, and wanted to be the first to post it so badly.......and couldn't help but add the democRAT line.....

You do know in places you can't access here, you're even laughed at by your "own side", right?

It doesn't matter. Cowards are common on this board, mostly on your side, but I suspect we have a few.

fucking little man. :rolleyes:

Geez, you were quick on that one, huh?

:rolleyes:

jcook11
05-30-2006, 09:52 PM
I have to admit that Jack Kennedy line he threw at Quayle was FUCKING HILARIOUS!