PDA

View Full Version : Jeb Bush next NFL Commish???

LoungeMachine
05-24-2006, 09:32 AM
So, Gov. Bush: Are you ready for some football?

He is reportedly receptive to the idea of becoming the next NFL commissioner.

By Linda Kleindienst and Sarah Talalay | Tallahassee Bureau
Posted May 24, 2006

TALLAHASSEE -- Could Gov. Jeb Bush's future be in football?

While U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice has publicly flirted with the idea of becoming the next commissioner of the National Football League, Bush has been privately approached to gauge his interest in the job and was reportedly receptive.

Bush, who spends his Sundays each fall watching the sport, acknowledged Tuesday that he discussed the top NFL job during a recent meeting with Patrick Rooney Sr., owner of Palm Beach Kennel Club.

Rooney is the brother of Dan Rooney, who owns the Super Bowl champion Pittsburgh Steelers and co-chairs the NFL's search committee to find a replacement for retiring Commissioner Paul Tagliabue.

"I met with Mr. Rooney, and I said I'm doing my job until I'm finished, and then I'm going to consider other things. But I'm not going to do anything until I finish," said Bush, who leaves office in January.

Although he has repeatedly said he will not seek the presidency in 2008, Bush has declined to say what he does hope to do other than return to Miami.

Asked his interest should the NFL hold the job open until he's ready, Bush replied, "They're not going to do that."

Patrick Rooney Sr. has not returned calls seeking comment about the meeting with Bush and was out of the country Tuesday.

Tagliabue, who has been commissioner since 1989, announced his decision to retire in March. Although he originally set a July 31 date by which he intended to be out of the job, he has indicated his willingness to stay on past that date.

Names that have surfaced for the job include Rice, league Chief Operating Officer Roger Goodell and Atlanta Falcons President Rich McKay.

A fascination with professional sports teams runs in the Bush family. While Jeb Bush had a financial interest in the fledgling Jaguars club, his brother, President George W. Bush, assembled a group of partners that purchased Major League Baseball's Texas Rangers in 1989.

NFL owners, who met in Denver on Tuesday, received an update on the search process, but no names were mentioned.

Executive search firm Korn/Ferry International is interviewing owners to determine what type of commissioner each is seeking.

Va Beach VH Fan
05-24-2006, 11:09 AM
Jesus H. Christ, where does the fucking corruption in this country end with these people....

Switch84
05-24-2006, 03:23 PM
:rolleyes: :p Oh, stop it with the Ford-like Bush hating already!! The NFL is a multi-BILLION dollar corporation; I doubt it's squeaky clean and corruption-free, and if YOU believe that, I have some prime real estate in New Orleans I'd like to sell ya...

Buwhahahahahahahaahahahahhhahaaaa!!!

FYI: I'm opposed to the idea because Jeb isn't a football person and would be in way over his head. I want someone with a business AND NFL background for the gig!

Tagliabue, PLEASE STAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY!!!!!

Unchainme
05-24-2006, 04:39 PM
So I take it Seattle isn't going to be winning for a long time now, Lounge? :D

POJO_Risin
05-24-2006, 07:49 PM
Jeb Bush isn't qualified...he'd be a puppet...

which is what the NFL is probably looking for...

a Selig...

Va Beach VH Fan
05-24-2006, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by Switch84
:rolleyes: :p Oh, stop it with the Ford-like Bush hating already!!

Leave FORD out of it, I'll say whatever the fuck I want to say, thank you very much....

You're right though, he's done such a great job...

And if YOU believe that, maybe you've been buying too much of that New Orleans real estate already...

POJO_Risin
05-24-2006, 10:24 PM
Bush says no...for now...

he's got to run HIS state until 2007...

redblkwht
05-25-2006, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by POJO_Risin
Bush says no...for now...

he's got to run HIS state until 2007...
If he gets it, ill personally send
a bag of shit to the headquarters..WTF!
personally id pick Madden lol

FORD
05-25-2006, 11:08 AM
The BCE-NFL??

Told ya that bullshit Super Bowl officiating was on purpose ;)

LoungeMachine
05-25-2006, 11:26 AM
Hate to break it you FORDO, but they FAKED the Superbowl this year.

It was all performed on a soundstage in Burbank.

Anyone who said they attended in Detroit are lying BCE operatives.

bueno bob
05-25-2006, 11:29 AM
You know...that makes a shocking kind of sense, in a way...

Unchainme
05-25-2006, 03:04 PM
It auctually does, You know Diebold is only like 30 mins. from my house, and all the people in my area are Steelers fans (lousy Fair-weather bastards.), Wouldn'r suprise me that the BCE owed a few favors to Diebold and one of them was Super Bowl Victory for their employees.

(I'm about to really piss off Poj. with this one.)

Va Beach VH Fan
05-25-2006, 05:24 PM
LMFAO, might as well throw that excuse out there, they've used every other one....

POJO_Risin
05-25-2006, 06:11 PM
Nah...not pissed off in the least!

We all know that Seahawk and Brown's fans live in a shitty team-induced state of fantasy...

LoungeMachine
05-25-2006, 06:29 PM
No shit.

We have to bask in the "glory" of a WNBA Championship, and a Sonics Championship which occurred sometime around the mid 20th century.......

But hell, at least we aint fucking Cleveland.

Sodo Mojo my ass....

Unchainme
05-25-2006, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
No shit.

We have to bask in the "glory" of a WNBA Championship, and a Sonics Championship which occurred sometime around the mid 20th century.......

But hell, at least we aint fucking Cleveland.

Sodo Mojo my ass....

Yes, you guys have auctually WON something since 1964. We're sulking in Redright88, The Drive, The Fumble, The Curse.

Lounge, Cleveland is still playing your shit on the radio daily so we are kinda help paying your salary, So I'd think a little higher in regards of us...........

LOL Just kidding, I know it sucks here. It ain't LA or Seattle But it's where I was born, I can't change that.

POJO_Risin
05-25-2006, 06:51 PM
Oh for fuck's sake...Cleveland is a fantastic city...

Most people that say it isn't...haven't ever been there in the past 20 years...

Unchainme
05-25-2006, 06:53 PM

Most people that say it isn't...haven't ever been there in the past 20 years...

I've been trying to figure out why Lounge hates it so much...It's not that bad of a town being honest.

Alright Lounge..Spill The Beans You Salmon eating Seattlite :).

LoungeMachine
05-25-2006, 07:22 PM

:rolleyes:

Are you back on the crack?

LMAO

Unchainme
05-25-2006, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
:rolleyes:

Are you back on the crack?

LMAO

Lounge Why do you hate Cleveland so much?

monkeythe
05-25-2006, 10:19 PM
Doesn't Jeb have a family job that will require his attention in 2 years?