PDA

View Full Version : BORDER BATTLE: McCain Says Limbaugh, Dobbs and Savage 'fuel the problem'...

ELVIS
05-24-2006, 04:58 PM
May 24, 2006

By Jason Horowitz (http://www.observer.com/20060529/20060529_Jason_Horowitz_pageone_newsstory1.asp)

http://www.observer.com/data/articleimages/photoimages/052906_article_horowitz.jpg

For all the national attention surrounding John McCain’s two highly anticipated, protest-ridden commencement speeches in New York last week, the Senator actually saved some of his best material for the crowd that gathered on Friday behind closed doors in the back of the Regency Hotel.

In a small, mirror-paneled room guarded by a Secret Service agent and packed with some of the city’s wealthiest and most influential political donors, Mr. McCain got right to the point.

“One of the things I would do if I were President would be to sit the Shiites and the Sunnis down and say, ‘Stop the bullshit,’” said Mr. McCain, according to Shirley Cloyes DioGuardi, an invitee, and two other guests.

The exclusive audience included R.N.C. finance chair Lewis Eisenberg, Blackstone Group co-founder Peter G. Peterson, former Secretary of the Navy John F. Lehman and Gail Hilson, the politically influential socialite who has organized events for Mr. McCain in the past.

“What kind of a country do we want to be?” Mr. McCain asked his audience, walking around in the middle of a horseshoe-shaped table as he proceeded to answer his own question.

He cautioned against ghettoizing immigrants, which he noted has brought about disastrous results in France, and criticized elements in his own party as “nativist” before lambasting the punditry of Rush Limbaugh, Lou Dobbs and Michael Savage for helping to “fuel the problem,” according to two of the sources.

And Mr. McCain, a Vietnam War hero and strong supporter of the invasion of Iraq, criticized the Bush administration’s lack of candor about the current situation there.

Mr. McCain’s 90 minutes of casual, off-the-cuff remarks about a broad range of issues, from foreign policy and economics to corruption and immigration, seemed to have the desired effect.

“He was fantastic,” said Ms. DioGuardi, the wife of former Republican U.S. Representative Joseph DioGuardi, who was also in attendance. “His appeal is that he is definitely a man of integrity. He has a vision for what should happen to this country.”

It was something of a test run for Mr. McCain, whose visit to New York was a fair representation of the state of his still-undeclared 2008 Presidential campaign.

:elvis:

ELVIS
05-24-2006, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
“One of the things I would do if I were President would be to sit the Shiites and the Sunnis down and say, ‘Stop the bullshit.’”

:elvis:

Gee whiz, why didn't George Bush think of that ??

:rolleyes:

FORD
05-24-2006, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
Gee whiz, why didn't George Bush think of that ??

:rolleyes:

Because George Bush doesn't think.

diamondD
05-25-2006, 12:44 AM
No, he's too busy inventing BSCE plots involving hundreds of people to cover up their mass conspiracy on 9-11 and all of the other dozens of evil genius plots to be thinking...

FORD
05-25-2006, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by diamondD
No, he's too busy inventing BSCE plots involving hundreds of people to cover up their mass conspiracy on 9-11 and all of the other dozens of evil genius plots to be thinking...

Chimpy has nothing to do with those plots.

ULTRAMAN VH
05-25-2006, 07:36 AM
I guess Vincente Fox has McCain in his back pocket too.

FORD
05-25-2006, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by ULTRAMAN VH
I guess Vincente Fox has McCain in his back pocket too.

Lord Jesus,

Please give me the strength to ignore this racist idiot.....

Amen

Nitro Express
05-25-2006, 07:31 PM
The best thing for middle east security was to leave Saddam Hussain in power. We broke his war machine in the first Gulf War and he was no real threat but he was a good check on Iran and Syria. No way was that guy going to let some insurgient bullshit happen in his country. So what, the guy was a ruthless dictator. The Islamic world is full of the same.

By taking Saddam the tyrant out we have destabalized the middle east. Saddam had his uses. Now we've gotten rid of him and does the world thank us? Nope. They hate up more. Going into Iraq was a lose/lose situation and now we have real problems with Iran, North Korea, China, and Venzualia.