PDA

View Full Version : Throw this [SIZE=4]RAT [/SIZE] Bastard in Jail!!!!!

BigBadBrian
05-24-2006, 05:15 PM
Pelosi asks Democrat to quit key committee
But Louisiana lawmaker says he will not step down from panel

Wednesday, May 24, 2006; Posted: 3:22 p.m. EDT (19:22 GMT)

Rep. William Jefferson, D-Louisiana, denies any wrongdoing and says he plans to run for re-election.

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi sent a letter Wednesday to U.S. Rep. William Jefferson asking him to resign from the House Ways and Means Committee days after FBI agents raided his Capitol Hill office.

"In the interest of upholding the high ethical standard of the House Democratic Caucus, I am writing to request your immediate resignation from the Ways and Means Committee," Pelosi wrote.

Jefferson, a Louisiana Democrat, quickly wrote back that he would not give up his post on the committee.

"With respect, I decline to do so," he said in his letter.

The lawmaker's office in the Rayburn House Office Building was raided last weekend in connection with a bribery probe.

Last year, an FBI raid found $90,000 in a freezer in Jefferson's home, according to an affidavit. (Full story)

Jefferson, 59, an eight-term lawmaker representing a New Orleans district, is subject of a criminal probe into allegations that he accepted bribes in return for using his office to facilitate business ventures in Africa. (Watch how the FBI constructed its case -- 1:28)

He has not been charged with a crime and has proclaimed his innocence, vowing this week to stay in Congress and seek re-election in November.

In his reply to Pelosi, Jefferson listed his contributions to the committee and said his participation "has been important to our port's recovery after the storm," referring to the devastation in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.

He said none of the matters "reported to be under scrutiny involve issues under jurisdiction of the Ways and Means Committee."

"Therefore, such a request would be even more perplexing and unreasonable. If I agreed, it would unfairly punish the people of the 2nd District and I will not stand for that," Jefferson wrote.

He also suggested that the request for his resignation from the important committee was discriminatory, "in as much as no other member currently under federal investigation has been asked to step down from a substantive, legislative committee assignment."

Last week, the House Ethics Committee opened an investigation into the corruption allegations.

A Kentucky businessman and a former Jefferson aide have pleaded guilty to bribery charges and agreed to cooperate with prosecutors.

Bipartisan anger over raid
The raid on Jefferson's office has united House Republicans and Democrats in opposition to what they say is a violation of the Constitution's separation of powers doctrine.

House Speaker Dennis Hastert, R-Illinois, on Wednesday said the FBI should surrender materials seized from Jefferson's office.

"I think those materials ought to be returned," Hastert said. He also said the FBI agents involved "ought to be frozen out of that [case] for the sake of the Constitution."

Pelosi, D-California, also said the Constitution was violated.

"Our founders in their wisdom placed this separation of powers into our Constitution, not to put anyone above the law but to protect the American people of the abusive power of the executive branch," she said Tuesday.

Pelosi said that though members of Congress "must obey the law and cooperate fully with any criminal investigation," such probes "must be conducted in accordance with constitutional protections and historical precedent so that our government's system of checks and balances are not undermined."

Using those constitutional arguments, Jefferson's attorneys filed a motion in U.S. District Court on Wednesday seeking return of property taken from Jefferson's office in the raid and that law enforcement authorities be prevented from reviewing any of the materials.

Hastert said the search was the first time a lawmaker's office had been searched in U.S. history.

"Nothing I have learned in the last 48 hours leads me to believe that there was any necessity to change the precedent established over those 219 years," Hastert said Monday.

Justice Department defends search
But Deputy Attorney General Paul McNulty said Wednesday said there have been such searches.

"The department has conducted similar searches in the past, including the chambers of federal judges and the private residences of members of Congress, and we believe our actions were lawful and necessary under these very unique circumstances," he said.

In an affidavit filed in support of the search warrant for Jefferson's office, prosecutors said they had "exhausted all other reasonable methods to obtain these records in a timely manner."

The Constitution bars lawmakers from being questioned about "any speech or debate," a clause that courts have said also protects some legislative documents.

In their application for a warrant for Jefferson's office, prosecutors acknowledged the sensitivity of the search by outlining special procedures that would be used to make sure that protected documents were not taken, including review of all materials by government lawyers and investigators not involved in the probe.

Link (http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/05/24/jefferson/index.html)

ELVIS
05-24-2006, 05:31 PM
I like the $90,000 in the freezer...

Lock him up!

:elvis:

FORD
05-24-2006, 05:35 PM
If the guy is tried and convicted in a court of law, lock him up. We all know there aren't any Democrats in Louisiana anyway.

What bothers me is the FBI raid on the man's office. Half the Republican party is under investigation right now and nobody is raiding their offices.

Why don't they raid DeLay's office? Of course he's probably shredded everything by now, but they should have raided it months ago.

Guitar Shark
05-24-2006, 05:47 PM
When some people here called for Bush's impeachment, or to throw Karl Rove in jail, weren't you one of the people who observed that they deserved their day in court, Brian?

ELVIS
05-24-2006, 05:51 PM
BTW, I think this is the second time his house has been raided...

ELVIS
05-24-2006, 05:57 PM
Yeah, he was videotaped accepting $100,000 from an investor who was wearing a wire...

His house was raided a few days later in August 2005 and the frozen money was found...

His Capitol Hill office was also raided...

LoungeMachine
05-24-2006, 06:20 PM
In Brie's world, due process is suspended for those with a D after their name.....

LoungeMachine
05-24-2006, 06:50 PM
Associated Press
Update 20: House Leaders Demand FBI Return Papers
By LAURIE KELLMAN , 05.24.2006, 03:41 PM

House leaders of both parties stood in rare election-year unanimity Wednesday demanding the FBI surrender documents it took and remove agents involved in the weekend raid of a congressman's office.

"The Justice Department must immediately return the papers it unconstitutionally seized," House Speaker Dennis Hastert and Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi said in a statement.

The leaders said that the congressman, William Jefferson, a Louisiana Democrat, should then cooperate with the investigation.

Earlier, Hastert had said any FBI agents involved "ought to be frozen out of that (case) just for the sake of the constitutional aspects of it."

Both parties have protested the Saturday night search of Jefferson's office on Capitol Hill, which they said violated the Constitution's separation of powers doctrine.

FBI agents searched Jefferson's office in pursuit of evidence in a bribery investigation. The search warrant, signed by U.S. District Court Judge Thomas Hogan, was based on an affidavit that said agents found $90,000 in cash stashed in the freezer of Jefferson's home.

White House officials said they did not learn of the search until after it happened. They pledged to work with the Justice Department to soothe lawmakers.

Democrats, meanwhile, tried to get Jefferson to resign his seat on the House's most prestigious panel.

"In the interest of upholding the high ethical standard of the House Democratic Caucus, I am writing to request your immediate resignation from the Ways and Means Committee," wrote Pelosi.

Jefferson was defiant.

"With respect, I decline to do so," he wrote back to Pelosi. "I will not give up a committee assignment that is so vital to New Orleans at this crucial time for any uncertain, long-term political strategy."

Jefferson, meanwhile, filed a motion asking the judge to order the FBI to return all of the documents taken from his office during the 15-hour search.

Jefferson's motion said the search violated "speech and debate" protections in the Constitution to ensure the independence of lawmakers.

Presidential administrations and Congress have routinely subpoenaed information from each other, and often they have refused to give up the materials sought.

This is the first time the branch seeking the information dispatched its law enforcement arm to wrest materials from the office of a sitting congressman who is the target of a probe.

Most members of the leadership of both houses objected to the search because they said it violated the Constitution.

"The institution has a right to protect itself against the executive department going into our offices and violating what is the (Constitution's) speech and debate clause, which essentially says, `That's none of your business, executive department,'" said House Democratic Whip Steny Hoyer of Maryland.

Republicans were being careful to protest the raid without defending Jefferson.

Some House officials are predicting the case will bring all three branches together at the Supreme Court for a constitutional showdown. Historians say it was the first raid of a representative's quarters in Congress' 219 years.

Attorney General Alberto Gonzales tried to strike a conciliatory tone, saying, "We have a great deal of respect for the Congress as a coequal branch of government." But he also defended the search: "We have an obligation to the American people to pursue the evidence where it exists."

Justice Department officials said the decision to search Jefferson's office was made in part because he refused to comply with a subpoena for documents last summer. Jefferson reported the subpoena to the House on Sept. 15, 2005.

Associated Press writers David Espo and Mark Sherman contributed to this report.

Seshmeister
05-24-2006, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
I like the $90,000 in the freezer...

:elvis:

How does that work? Would you have to defrost it before you could spend it...?

LoungeMachine
05-24-2006, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Seshmeister

Ask Tom DeLay, Duke Cunningham, Jack Abramoff, or any of the other GOP members currently under indictment/investigation/incarceration

FORD
05-24-2006, 07:38 PM

Depends on the quality of the Tupperware you stashed it in, I guess :confused:

DrMaddVibe
05-24-2006, 07:55 PM

Haven't you ever heard of cold hard cash? C'mon!:D

Hardrock69
05-24-2006, 11:30 PM
No shit.

However, despite the LAW that says he is innocent until proven guilty (BRIAN! WAKE THE FUCK UP AND PAY ATTENTION NOW!)
I find it kinda warped that he would keep 90 grand in the freezer.

A: Does he take slangisms literally? Just wanted to claim to his "buddies" in Washington that he had 90 pounds of "Grease The Wheel" ice stored in his freezer? Some Cold Hard Kash?
Bullshit.

B. Is he fucking stoopid? You do NOT keep your payoff money anywhere near your home or office.

He is only stoopid in that he got caught.

Retardlicans and their connections to Texas Big Oil, as well as their Corporate Overlords have the art of graft & corruption developed to the nth degree.

As time goes on, a politician must learn to be more sophisticated in skirting/avoiding legal boundaries. Apparently he has not arrived at that level yet.

Once you have enough power, and you own the Supreme Court (can you say "LBJ"? Sure...I knew you could), you can do no wrong.

C. Has he developed a phobia about food? Where he theorized that as you have to get food with cash, he should just short circuit the process and eat his money?

D. They are all corrupt.

Most of them never get caught.

Just as with Clergy and religious authorities.

They begin to feel invincible.

Gay orgies with underage boys. Massive payoffs. Murder, racketeering, drug-running, etc.

Those have been the unoffical pastimes of our government since before the Declaration Of Independence was signed, and business as usual for the Roman Catholic Church for almost 2,000 years.

BigBadBrian
05-30-2006, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by Guitar Shark
When some people here called for Bush's impeachment, or to throw Karl Rove in jail, weren't you one of the people who observed that they deserved their day in court, Brian?

Indeed.

However, in order to make a point, I wanted to know how many liberals were hypocrites. According to the ones who responded in this thread, it is ALL of them.

Every liberal in this thread, including you, called for Tom Delay and Scooter Libby to be put in jail before their due process.

Liberals were always fond of having their own set of rules.

:gulp:

jcook11
05-30-2006, 10:41 PM
Who amongst us doesn't have $90.000 hidden in the freezer...fucking hypocrites

diamondD
05-31-2006, 08:55 AM
Hmmm, a crooked politician with William Jefferson in his name. Why does that sound so familiar???

Warham
05-31-2006, 09:10 AM
The House leadership, including the Republicans and Democrats, should be ashamed of themselves.

I suppose they think that members of Congress have discretion to hide evidence for any crime in their office without any repercussions. Maybe Hastert or Pelosi have a skeleton in their office closet, literally.

LoungeMachine
05-31-2006, 09:54 AM
The bottom line is BOTH parties are crooked, self serving RATS.

If we were to keep score, however, THIS batch of crooks are predominately REPUBLICAN. The NEXT batch of crooks will most likely be DemocRATS.

But Brie's blatant hypocrisy is laughable. And so is the Justice Dept.'s

Let's wait until the end of the year, and then add up both side's total amount of years incarceration handed down. Then we'll know who had the more dumb crooks.

BigBadBrian
06-01-2006, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine

But Brie's blatant hypocrisy is laughable. And so is the Justice Dept.'s

I guess you don't remember condemning Republicans BEFORE they had their trial/due process.

I suspect you have your eyes closed to alot of issues.

:gulp:

Guitar Shark
06-01-2006, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
Every liberal in this thread, including you, called for Tom Delay and Scooter Libby to be put in jail before their due process.

Uh, no.

Please show me where I've ever made such a statement.

How does it feel to have ZERO credibility in this forum, Brian? :)

Hardrock69
06-01-2006, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian

Prove it.

Switch84
06-03-2006, 02:22 AM
Originally posted by diamondD
Hmmm, a crooked politician with William Jefferson in his name. Why does that sound so familiar???

:D I laughed when I heard it, too! Another "Slick Willie"!

Buwhahahahahahaaaaa!!