PDA

View Full Version : John Cougar Mellancamp VS. Bruce Springsteen

Unchainme
05-25-2006, 05:37 PM
Okay...You got Bruce, The Boss ...Man He is fucking awesome..Singing For The American People, Kickass No Doubt.

Then You Got Johnny Cougar...He seems extremely underrated...Indiana Born...The Midwest's Bruce.

Who Do you prefer.

Dan
05-25-2006, 06:01 PM
The Boss.

If Bruce said he was born in the U.S.A is fucking is.(Rodney Rude 1984)

FORD
05-25-2006, 06:34 PM
There would be no John Mellencamp without Bruce Springsteen.

Both have made some damn good music though. And have been involved in very worthy causes.

SNIPER
05-25-2006, 07:02 PM
I would have to say JCM. I am not fans of either one of them but JCM has a lot of pretty cool liitle tunes with style and groove.

To me Bruce has too big of a band sound and all the groove of the tunes get lost. I am just more into a stripped down sound I guess.
Another thing I should point out.. Bruce likes to talk way too much, more then he likes to play and he fucking bugs me. I cant even look at the guy.

Just my own thoughts...

BruinJer
05-25-2006, 07:43 PM
I like JCM... and I have to say, Bruce is one of the most OVERRATED musicians EVER, I can't think of a single song pf his that even remotely interests me.

FORD
05-25-2006, 08:18 PM
I think it would be cool if they did some shows together. Mellencamp has always been a fan of folk music, in fact I think he even wrote "This machine kills fascists" on one of his guitars for Farm Aid like Woody Guthrie. And with Springsteen currently touring with his Pete Seeger tribute thing, it would be a perfect match.

EAT MY ASSHOLE
05-25-2006, 08:25 PM
They're both gay as shit.

Unchainme
05-25-2006, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
They're both gay as shit.

Fuck off Troll.

FORD
05-25-2006, 08:27 PM
They certainly aren't as gay as JizzyStool. He's hungry for the cock!!

rustoffa
05-25-2006, 09:52 PM
I agree with FORD. John Cougar Mellencamp, while talented, owes alot to Springsteen's groundwork. Some of it actually comes off as direct inspiration. That's certainly nothing new, and not dis-worthy.

As far as Springsteen goes, I just never got the SOUND. Sax and dry keyboards aside, writing songs for Patty Smith speaks volumes.

Springsteen: Darkness On The Edge Of Town

John Cougar Mellencamp: John Cougar;
Dance Naked

Terry
05-25-2006, 09:53 PM
The way Springsteen sings it, you'd think he'd actually worked in a factory and went to 'Nam. Dug Nebraska, though...and selected cuts off Tunnel Of Love.

And little Johnny Cougar. He ain't even done with the night...

Bah. Can't be bothered with deciding who is better: never had TOO much use for either of them.

Think I'll go with John Cafferty and the Beaver Brown Band instead.

Bob_R
05-25-2006, 10:06 PM
Springsteen.

Mellencamp is cool but he's no match for Bruce.

SNIPER
05-25-2006, 10:40 PM
I herd at ont point a few years back that Edward was gonna do some unpluged work with John.. any truth to that?

Ally_Kat
05-26-2006, 12:33 AM
Johnny Cougar. Altho this could be that Bruce is over-exposed here all summer long. I cringe when they play any of his songs on the radio.

Now my Johnny -- little pink houses for you and me, bro. You and me.

LoungeMachine
05-26-2006, 12:44 AM
See what the whole Survivor/Apprentice/American Idol shite has done to this country?????????

Either or?

Fuck that.

Both. All. Everything.

When I want it. As loud or as quiet as I want it.

Boss/Coug/Cash/Guthrie/Johnson/Waters/Lennon/Wilson

QUIT VOTING PEOPLE OFF MY ISLAND.

Jesus tittie fucking christ............

It's only rock and roll, but I like it.

LoungeMachine
05-26-2006, 12:46 AM
Coke or Pepsi.

Blonde or Brunette

Carpet or Hardwood floors

EAT MY ASSHOLE
05-26-2006, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine

Carpet or Hardwood floors

Brazilian wax-job is my personal preference.

Jérôme Frenchise
05-26-2006, 02:21 PM
I like both. But I prefer John Mellencamp.

As far as Springsteen, I only have the Greatest Hits and the 3-CD live 1975-85 set; there's some pomposity in his music in general that pretty quickly gets on my nerves, though.

I have more albums by Mellencamp:
"Uh-uh", "Lonesome Jubilee", "Dance Naked", "Whenever we wanted", "Human Wheels", "Mr Happy Go Lucky", "John Mellencamp" (1998) and "Trouble no More".
My faves are "Uh-uh" (aah, "Serious business"...), "Mr Happy Go Lucky" (the sound of that one is really huge, and the tunes are great IMO) and "Trouble no More" (what a splendid collection of cover traditional folk songs.

However, I remember reading a Dave quote in his book "Crazy From The Heat": the Diamond called him "JC Lemonhead"...
Does anybody know what lies behind that? I think there was something about an MTV show, but I recall Dave was not really explicit.

EAT MY ASSHOLE
05-26-2006, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise

However, I remember reading a Dave quote in his book "Crazy From The Heat": the Diamond called him "JC Lemonhead"...
Does anybody know what lies behind that? I think there was something about an MTV show, but I recall Dave was not really explicit.

That was just dave being dave. He referred to him as "Joh Cougar Mellonhead", not "Lemonhead". They were both born in Bloomington, Indiana, which is what made dave bring himup.

I can't imagine Dave being too into John's music at all...too basic, and not danceable enough. Very white, in other words.

BTW, the name of the album you're referring to is "uh-HUH". As in "Yeah!". Not "Uh-Uh". Get your shit together. sheesh.

Jérôme Frenchise
05-26-2006, 05:41 PM
BTW, the name of the album you're referring to is "uh-HUH". As in "Yeah!". Not "Uh-Uh".

All right then, if you want to play that game, I'll tell you that you only need to put one "l" in melon.

You're no smarter, as you can't explain why Dave suggested that J. Mellencamp was a pretentious guy - just the point of my question...

"Uh-huh" has been in the glove compartment of my car for a week, otherwise I'd have checked out the spelling.

By the way, if you can't write in your own mother tongue correctly*, why not shut up a little and stick your nose in your old elementary school grammar books, which must still be brand new in view of the bunch of mistakes in your posts.

They were both born in Bloomington, Indiana, which is what made dave bring himup.

"Joh Cougar Mellonhead"

:rolleyes:

EAT MY ASSHOLE
05-26-2006, 08:15 PM
Look, Frenchy, what business do you even have talking about either of these artists? They represent AMERICANA, a distinctly AMERICAN music, which is from AMERICA, where we DON'T use the gay-ass metric system, where we feel free to misspell words with aplomb, and "mellon" is spelled, alternatively, with one OR TWO "l"s (the extra "L" is for "liberals are a bunch of whiny communists").

Go back to your fucking Edith Piaf albums and delicious almond croissants and stick your beret up your ass.

EAT MY ASSHOLE
05-26-2006, 08:16 PM
(and besides, so what if "Uh-Huh" has been in your glove-box for a week? The album was released in the mid-80s. Twenty years isn't sufficient time for you to get the name of the album together???)

EAT MY ASSHOLE
05-26-2006, 08:17 PM
God, I hate the French.

Unchainme
05-26-2006, 08:45 PM
God, I hate the French.

Fuck off, Jerome is cool.

Unchainme
05-26-2006, 08:46 PM
BTW, John Cougar is from SEYMOUR, Indiana and played in bars around Terre Haute (Which BTW, Is where Larry Bird played Basketball.)

EAT MY ASSHOLE
05-26-2006, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by Unchainme
BTW, John Cougar is from SEYMOUR, Indiana and played in bars around Terre Haute (Which BTW, Is where Larry Bird played Basketball.)

Larry "Byrd".

Twit.

Unchainme
05-26-2006, 09:07 PM
http://www.sportsonline.com.au/images/Products/6337.jpg

Fucking Moron.

:rolleyes:

LoungeMachine
05-27-2006, 01:26 AM
LMMFAO

This thread just got funny.

Freedom Fries for everyone!

:hitch:

Unchainme
05-27-2006, 02:01 AM
LMMFAO

This thread just got funny.

Are They in Red, White and Blue?

NightProwler
05-27-2006, 02:31 AM
Bob Seger rules over BOTH those guys!

LoungeMachine
05-27-2006, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by NightProwler

Hey, NP.

Glad you're here....

What do you make of Chimp's "stratergy" of sending Nat'l Guard troops to the border?

You more than anyone here can speak on it. :cool:

Is this not the worst dog and pony show since "Mission Accomplished"?

NightProwler
05-27-2006, 02:59 AM
dumbya's "strategy" is all show and no go (in anticipation of this fall's elections)

1st step in stopping the illegal alien invasion would be prosecuting the traitors that hire them.

2nd step would be cutting the illegals off from all of the freebies: medical, welfare, education.

3rd step, let Border Patrol do its job.

Unfortunately it looks like our politicians will sell us out again (amnesty 1986) in favor of illegal aliens and special interest groups.

FORD
05-27-2006, 05:49 AM

Buy A Truck (http://www.bobrivers.com/audiovault/tunes/tunes.asp?Var=B&Page=2)

(Parody of Like a Rock by Bob Seger)

Rock ‘n Rollin’ sure is lots of fun
I’m makin’ millions when my songs go number one
But auto dealers can barely get along
Business sucks

If you’ve got eighteen or twenty grand to spare
Well, tighten up those lug nuts and fill your tires with air
Get tinted windows and mud-flaps in the rear
To drive through muck

The dealers ready so drive one home tonight
You’ll love your purchase and how it hugs the corners tight
We fixed the problem so the gas tanks won’t ignite
Buy a truck

Buy a truck
Keep this country great
Buy a truck
Get a big rebate
Buy a truck
You’ll probably get laid
If you buy a truck

Buy a truck
A 4-wheel drive S-10
Buy a truck
Prove that you’re a man
They don’t make ‘em in Japan
Buy a truck
Please buy a truck
Please buy a truck

Jérôme Frenchise
05-27-2006, 06:20 AM
(and besides, so what if "Uh-Huh" has been in your glove-box for a week? The album was released in the mid-80s. Twenty years isn't sufficient time for you to get the name of the album together???)

It was released in 83, and I bought it on CD in 94. It's been in my glove compartment with "Human Wheels" and "Whenever we wanted" for a week because I just fancied listening to them again.

As for the "h" thing, forget about the mote in my eye a little, and mind the beam in your own... ;)

[...] and "mellon" is spelled, alternatively, with one OR TWO "l"s (the extra "L" is for "liberals are a bunch of whiny communists").

Go back to your fucking Edith Piaf albums and delicious almond croissants and stick your beret up your ass.

:D Now this is funny. I admire great wise spirits that can synthesize things with such a maestria...
Sorry, I just can't compete. :)

Jérôme Frenchise
05-27-2006, 06:35 AM

http://www.sweet-and-savory.org/archive/images/fringale/pommes_frites.jpg

Yeah! Deep-fried in beef fat, with some beef casserole (cooked with beer) and some adequate beverages. :)

Jérôme Frenchise
05-27-2006, 06:43 AM

I've only got "Live Bullet" ("only", but I think it's a lot, already - a very intense album), but it would have been interesting to include Seger in the poll.
I would have preferred him over Springsteen, but I would still have voted for Mellencamp anyway, although there is something more powerful in Seger's music, as far as I can tell (one album by BS vs eight by JM in my collection).
Unlike Springsteen, I think Seger never really sounds pompous. :cool:

EAT MY ASSHOLE
05-27-2006, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise

As for the "h" thing, forget about the mote in my eye a little, and mind the beam in your own... ;)

Whoa! Suddenly we've got a sermon on the mount reference going! And I thought Springsteen was the one with the overblown lyrics!!

Jérôme Frenchise
05-27-2006, 10:21 AM
Whoa! Suddenly we've got a sermon on the mount reference going! And I thought Springsteen was the one with the overblown lyrics!!

OK, don't you think it's time to move ahead? I'm handrolling your "h", then I'll smoke it so that it won't be brought up anymore. :cool:

Here we go: *scratch!*... *ffff...* *puff, puff*... That's it! :smoke2:

EAT MY ASSHOLE
05-27-2006, 11:25 AM
Now would BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN approve of the use of a controlled substance?

NightProwler
05-28-2006, 01:07 AM
ford

you are aware that Bob Seger took the money he was paid for that song and donated it to the UAW workers, aren't you?

FORD
05-28-2006, 02:38 AM
ford

you are aware that Bob Seger took the money he was paid for that song and donated it to the UAW workers, aren't you?

No, I didn't know that. But being the born and bred Michigan boy that he is, I'm not surprised. Good for him. But I still think the parody is hilarious. Did you follow the link and listen to it?

Loons The Great
05-29-2006, 02:23 PM
Woody Guthrie

DLRISVH7884
06-03-2006, 07:20 AM
The "Boss" would kick Mellancamp's ass, I'm surpise this poll is even close.

ThrillsNSpills
06-03-2006, 08:06 AM
When the walls come tumbulin down.