PDA

View Full Version : President Regrets 'Bring It On' Taunt to Insurgents

frets5150
05-26-2006, 01:59 PM
President Regrets 'Bring It On' Taunt to Insurgents
WASHINGTON (May 26) - Staunch allies in a long, unpopular war, President Bush and British Prime Minister Tony Blair acknowledged making painful mistakes in Iraq. Bush said Thursday night he wished he'd never taunted insurgents with tough talk like "bring it on" or that he'd vowed to get Osama bin Laden "dead or alive."That sent the wrong signal to people," Bush said. "I learned some lessons about expressing myself maybe in a little more sophisticated manner, you know." The biggest mistake, Bush said, was the abuse of inmates by U.S. guards at Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq.
"We've been paying for that for a long period of time," the president said at a joint news conference with Blair as they celebrated the formation of a new unity government in Baghdad.

For his part, the prime minister talked about faulty judgments - that some things expected to be major challenges turned out not to be, and that other things unexpectedly turned out to be immense problems. In particular, Blair said coalition forces erred in the wholesale purge of Saddam Hussein's Baath Party loyalists from military and government positions after the fall of Baghdad.

Blair also acknowledged underestimating the determination of insurgents to stop the democratic process. "Maybe in retrospect ... it should have been very obvious to us," Blair said.

Both leaders vowed to keep troops in Iraq until the new government gets its footing and has a strong security force.

"Despite setbacks and missteps, I strongly believe we did and are doing the right thing," Bush said. "Not everything has turned out the way we hoped."

For his part, Blair declared that after a meeting this week with Iraq's new prime minister, "I came away thinking the challenge is still immense, but I also came away thinking more certain than ever that we should rise to it."

Here for talks with Bush that will spill over to Friday, the British prime minister briefed the president on his discussions in Baghdad on Monday with Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki, who said his forces are capable of taking control of security in all Iraqi provinces within 18 months.

"I think it's possible to happen in the way that Prime Minister Maliki said," Blair said.

Neither Bush nor Blair would give specifics on when soldiers from their countries can begin to go home.

"We're going to work with our partners in Iraq, the new government, to determine the way forward," Bush said. He said the goal remains "an Iraq that can govern itself and sustain itself and defend itself."

He said one problem was the lack of an Iraqi defense minister, and he urged al-Maliki to fill the post soon.

Bush declined to discuss Pentagon hopes that the U.S. force, now at 131,000 troops, could be reduced to about 100,000 by year's end.

He called that "speculation in the press" and said he has not discussed specific reductions in troop levels with commanders on the ground. "We'll keep the force level there necessary to win," Bush said.

Britain has about 8,000 troops in Iraq. Blair, asked about al-Maliki's 18-month target for Iraqi control, said the goal remains that Iraqi security forces could "take control progressively of their own country."

But for that to happen, Blair said, "the first thing obviously we need is a strong government in Baghdad" prepared to enforce its rule throughout the country.

On another topic high on the agenda, neither Bush nor Blair would reveal their thinking on a possible package of incentives to draw Iran back to negotiations over its suspected nuclear-weapons program.

"Of course, we'll look at all options. But it's their choice right now - they're the ones who walked away from the table," Bush said. "I think we ought to be continuing to work on ways to make it clear to them that they will be isolated."

Bush was dismissive of recent back-channel overtures from Tehran, including a letter to him from Iran's hard-line President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. Bush said he read the letter, and "I thought it was interesting."

But he added: "He didn't address the issues of whether or not they're going to continue to press for a nuclear weapon. That's the issue at hand."

In Britain, where Blair's alliance with Bush has drawn fierce criticism, the news conference aired beginning at half past midnight.

With casualties rising and violence rampant, Iraq weighs heavily on Bush and Blair. Both leaders have plunged in the polls and face growing calls for major troop withdrawals. At least 2,460 members of the U.S. military have died since the beginning of the war. Britain has lost 106 service personnel.

Bush is under additional pressure from fellow Republicans who are nervous about losing control of the House or Senate - or both - in the November elections.

Both leaders were asked about the toll the war has taken on their popularity.

"There is no question the Iraq war has created a sense of consternation here in America," Bush said, noting daily images on television of innocent people dying.

"It affects the mentality of Americans," he said. But he said a more important question now is, "Can we win? That's what they want to know."

Blair urged both those who agreed with toppling Saddam and those who didn't to "just take a step back" and look at the larger picture.

"They want us to stay until the job is done," he said of the new democratically elected Iraqi government.

"Those people fighting us there know what is at stake. The question is, do we?" Blair said.

In a lighter moment, both leaders were asked what they would miss about each other once they are both out of office, with Blair widely expected to step down soon given widespread unhappiness with his government.

"Wait a minute," quipped Bush. "I'll miss those red ties, that's what I'll miss." He quickly added: "Don't count him out. ... I want him here so long as I'm the president." Bush's term expires in January 2009.

Said Blair: "What more can I say? Probably not wise to say anything more at all."

Bush has described the formation of Iraq's new government of Shiites, Sunni Arabs and Kurds as a turning point. But it's unclear what that means in terms of the need for U.S. troops. Pentagon officials are worried about the reliability of U.S.-trained Iraqi police and their religious and tribal allegiances.

British officials have said most coalition troops could be withdrawn by 2010.

05-26-06 03:15 EDT

:rolleyes:

binnie
05-26-2006, 02:01 PM
Can't believe a word they say,

Big difference between saying it and meaning it!

Can't see all this been sorted in my lifetime....

FORD
05-26-2006, 02:30 PM
I'm sure those 2,300 or so who were killed since Chimpy opened his mouth feel a lot better now that he's finally realized how fucking STUPID it was to say "Bring em on"

binnie
05-26-2006, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by FORD
I'm sure those 2,300 or so who were killed since Chimpy opened his mouth feel a lot better now that he's finally realized how fucking STUPID it was to say "Bring em on"

I agree it's good he's said it, but do you think he believes it?

And, it cannot replace the void in those people's lives.....

ELVIS
05-26-2006, 03:41 PM
What ??

binnie
05-26-2006, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
What ??

Trying to say that Bush admitting he was wrong to say things like "bring it on" probably isn't much consolation to those who have lost family members...

blueturk
05-26-2006, 06:52 PM
No wonder he regrets vowing to get bin Laden dead or alive. He "forgot" all about bin Laden in his pursuit of Saddam. Bush's "pursuit" of bin Laden was and is nothing more than lip service. It's what America wanted to hear, so he said it. And he didn't mean a fucking word of it.

ODShowtime
05-26-2006, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by frets5150
The biggest mistake, Bush said, was the abuse of inmates by U.S. guards at Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq.
"We've been paying for that for a long period of time," the president said at a joint news conference with Blair as they celebrated the formation of a new unity government in Baghdad.

and not a word about all the tortured and sodomized iraqis :rolleyes:

blueturk
05-26-2006, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by ODShowtime
and not a word about all the tortured and sodomized iraqis :rolleyes:

Yep, Dubya is a real Christian all right...:rolleyes:

ODShowtime
05-26-2006, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by blueturk
Yep, Dubya is a real Christian all right...:rolleyes:

It's really just shameful for all of us. Especially those foolish enough to have voted for gw.

frets5150
05-26-2006, 08:23 PM
Boy the Sheep are really taking a long time responding to this...:eatit:

blueturk
05-26-2006, 08:36 PM

That's because there's nothing to be said. The facts speak for themselves.

Seshmeister
05-26-2006, 08:43 PM
The most offensive thing about the 'Bring it on' comment was that it wasn't bringing it on to him or his family, instead he was saying bring it onto kids who often are in the military because they can't afford to get a proper education any other way.

frets5150
05-26-2006, 08:55 PM
Remember guys he's a good ol cowboy.
I bet if he had to fight one of those Ragheads they would kick his Teeth in.

And then beat him with his slippers...

Just the good ol' Chimp
Never meanin' no harm,
Beats all you've ever saw, been in trouble with the law since the day he was born.

Straight'nin' the curve,
Flat'nin' the hills.
Someday the moutain might get 'em, but the law never will.

Makin' his way,
The only way he knows how,
That's just a little bit more than the law will allow.

Just good ol' boy,
Wouldn't change if he could,
Fightin' the system like a true modern day Robin Hood

frets5150
05-26-2006, 08:59 PM
YEEEEEEEEEEEHAW

:D Fuckin Shit kickin Moron

frets5150
05-26-2006, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
The most offensive thing about the 'Bring it on' comment was that it wasn't bringing it on to him or his family, instead he was saying bring it onto kids who often are in the military because they can't afford to get a proper education any other way.

Exactly... As long as it doesn't Affect his ugly wife or his two CUNT daughters then all is well.And I am sure those kids that he was speaking for are real happy.Espeacially the DEAD ones...:o

Keef
05-26-2006, 10:13 PM

They are waiting for talking points from some fucking shill is all.

ELVIS
05-26-2006, 11:18 PM
Remember guys he's a good ol cowboy.

Does this look or sound like a cowboy ??

He's a spoiled rich oil guy from Harvard...

The dumb cowboy persona is an act...

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wO1LEa5jUgg"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wO1LEa5jUgg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

:elvis:

FORD
05-26-2006, 11:24 PM
But the drunken imbecile persona obviously isn't.

ELVIS
05-26-2006, 11:27 PM
He appears pretty sharp in that video...

He's pretty funny too...:D

frets5150
05-26-2006, 11:34 PM
Does this look or sound like a cowboy ??

YES HE DOES...

He's a spoiled rich oil guy from Harvard...
YES HE IS..

The dumb cowboy persona is an act..

WE NEED A PRESIDENT NOT AN ACTOR...

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wO1LEa5jUgg"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wO1LEa5jUgg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

:elvis:

blueturk
05-26-2006, 11:37 PM
He appears pretty sharp in that video...

He's pretty funny too...:D

I'll give you the benefit of doubt and assume you're being sarcastic....

frets5150
05-26-2006, 11:47 PM
What's with this Only in america crap? How much Blow was Chimp on in that clip

binnie
05-27-2006, 04:30 AM
How do Bush and Blair rectify the situation now?

frets5150
05-27-2006, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by binnie
How do Bush and Blair rectify the situation now?

They dont Cause its too late we're all FUCKED!!!:mad:
BUT this is funny as shit between all the troops combined we
can't beat a third world country.We're getting are asses kicked by Ragheads and don't anyone say otherwise.If this was a war over something real we would have used no ground troops and nuked the Fuck out of them and the war would have been over in a day or so.We thought this was gonna be like 1991 when something like 15 american troops died.Well we were sadly mistaken.What are we waiting for the numbers to reach 10;000 before we pull out.:rolleyes:

EAT MY ASSHOLE
05-27-2006, 12:52 PM
Everytime you guys post this crap, you're emboldening the enemy.

binnie
05-27-2006, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
Everytime you guys post this crap, you're emboldening the enemy.

How, do you think terrorists read a Roth army forum?

We live in democracies, that means we should say what we think, and according to Bush and Blair, that's what we are fighting for.

EAT MY ASSHOLE
05-28-2006, 10:15 AM

We live in democracies, that means we should say what we think, and according to Bush and Blair, that's what we are fighting for.

Not really. In these troubled times, it is necessary to curtail liberties in the name of freedom.

BigBadBrian
05-28-2006, 03:29 PM
They dont Cause its too late we're all FUCKED!!!:mad:
BUT this is funny as shit between all the troops combined we
can't beat a third world country.We're getting are asses kicked by Ragheads and don't anyone say otherwise.If this was a war over something real we would have used no ground troops and nuked the Fuck out of them and the war would have been over in a day or so.We thought this was gonna be like 1991 when something like 15 american troops died.Well we were sadly mistaken.What are we waiting for the numbers to reach 10;000 before we pull out.:rolleyes:

You're quite the idiot. :)

You know NOTHING of the real situation over there.

All you do is watch the bimbo of your choice ( probably a man) and believe everything they say of what's going on over there.

Yeah, we're getting our asses kicked over there. :rolleyes:

DO SOME FUCKING RESEARCH before you make suck idiotic statements.

You dishonor everyone who has served and everyone who has died over there.

You're just a run of the mill moronic LIBERAL who has NO CONCERN for what's happening over there except that you want things to go badly because your boy couldn't manage to take the WHITE HOUSE in 2000 or 2004.

:)

LoungeMachine
05-28-2006, 06:00 PM
How, do you think terrorists read a Roth army forum?

Yes they do....

Big FAG Brie, AASVibe, and 4morequeers to name a few....

frets5150
05-28-2006, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
You're quite the idiot. :)

You know NOTHING of the real situation over there.

All you do is watch the bimbo of your choice ( probably a man) and believe everything they say of what's going on over there.

Yeah, we're getting our asses kicked over there. :rolleyes:

DO SOME FUCKING RESEARCH before you make suck idiotic statements.

You dishonor everyone who has served and everyone who has died over there.

You're just a run of the mill moronic LIBERAL who has NO CONCERN for what's happening over there except that you want things to go badly because your boy couldn't manage to take the WHITE HOUSE in 2000 or 2004.

:)

FUCKOFF!!! Why don't you go on over there and see for yourself. And how do I dishonor everyone who has died over there? Thank your Administration not me I didn't start a Bullshit war your President did thank him.

"DO SOME FUCKING RESEARCH before you make suck idiotic statements."

And use your spell check before you post IDIOT

BigBadBrian
05-30-2006, 09:21 PM

And use your spell check before you post IDIOT

You crack me up!!! :D

I guess I'll start calling you Mr. Shortbus.

I previously had the name reserved for LousyTurd, but your lunacy has him beat.

:cool:

frets5150
05-31-2006, 03:42 AM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
You crack me up!!! :D

I guess I'll start calling you Mr. Shortbus.

I previously had the name reserved for LousyTurd, but your lunacy has him beat.

:cool:

I'm speachless Thanks!!! :D