PDA

View Full Version : Pete Rose belong in Hall of Fame?

Gmoney
01-05-2004, 01:58 PM
Pete "Charlie Hustle" finally admits to betting on a baseball.

Who thinks he belongs in the Hall of Fame?

I think they should lift the ban now and reinstate him back in MLB.

BigBadBrian
01-05-2004, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Gmoney
Pete "Charlie Hustle" finally admits to betting on a baseball.

Who thinks he belongs in the Hall of Fame?

I think they should lift the ban now and reinstate him back in MLB.

I can see letting him in, but I'd have to be completely convinced he never bet against his team. He needs to come forward in person and explain himself rather than just letting some book do it. Wasn't the betting while he was manager?

lesfunk
01-05-2004, 02:28 PM
Fuck baseball. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Gmoney
01-05-2004, 02:32 PM
According to the Dowd report, he bet on the Reds 42 times, but all for them to win.

How many times did MLB give second chances to crackheads like Steve Howe and Darryl Strawberry??

I think he is a piece of shit for not coming clean earlier as everyone knew he was guilty. But with that said, being the all time leader in hits, I think he belongs in, although he should make a public apology and not just admit it to sell his book!!

Sarge
01-05-2004, 02:45 PM
If Lawrence Taylor can get into the Football hall of fame than Pete Rose should also get in..

damngoodtimes
01-05-2004, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Sarge
If Lawrence Taylor can get into the Football hall of fame than Pete Rose should also get in..

it depends, did he bet on football, too?

FORD
01-05-2004, 05:24 PM
Did they kick OJ out of the football Hall of Fame for being a murderer?

steve vai1
01-05-2004, 06:57 PM
First off i think there is a difference between rose and the others mentioned (strawberry, steve howe or LT). When you bet on the sport you play you challenge the integrity of the game. Why should people even tune in if they believe the outcome is fixed. The others had drug problems which did not touch the integrity of the game.

Secondly, people say well he didn't bet on his team to lose. That doesn't matter. Say he bet on his team to win and they are in game whatever of a playoff series or an important game. If Rose has money on the game he will do things he might not normally do such as: keep the starter in too long just to win that game or bring in his best reliever instead of keeping him for next game, pinch hitters etc. It goes on and on.

Last, this guy is a fraud who doesn't give a shit about the game or the fans. He is broke and will do anything for money. Because now he admits to gambling after fifteen years we're supposed to get on our knees and accept him? Fuck that. I knew he was guilty from the dowd report. (www.dowdreport.com).

You want the guy in the Hall, fine but don't let him anywhere near a baseball field ever again.

steve vai1
01-05-2004, 06:59 PM
"The banishment for life of Pete Rose from baseball is the sad end of a sorry episode. One of the game's greatest players has engaged in a variety of acts which have stained the game, and he must now live with the consequences of those acts. By choosing not to come to a hearing before me, and by choosing not to proffer any testimony or evidence contrary to the evidence and information contained in the report of the Special Counsel to the Commissioner, Mr. Rose has accepted baseball's ultimate sanction, lifetime ineligibility."

Statement by then Commissioner
of Baseball, A. Bartlett Giamatti,
August 24, 1989

Gmoney
01-05-2004, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by steve vai1

You want the guy in the Hall, fine but don't let him anywhere near a baseball field ever again.

I agree with you, I would let him in the Hall of Fame for his on the field accomplishments, but definitely would not let him manage again.

Pretty sad ending for a guy who gave 110% and played the game the way it should be and we are now in an era full of players don't even run out a grounder or fly out!!

High Life Man
01-06-2004, 01:57 PM
Let him in the HOF.

Then punish him by not allowing him to have any official position in MLB.

And include his crimes on his HOF plaque.

And the day he gets back in, do the same for Shoeless Joe.

Dave's PA Rental
01-06-2004, 05:16 PM
Guys I went to the Hall of Fame this summer and Pete Rose is in the Hall already. There is a nice mention of him being the all-time hits leader. They should leave it at that.

It kills me to say this because I love Pete Rose and his accomplishments. But he bet on HIS OWN TEAM. If you think that he didnt you are naive. Just because he says he didnt bet on his own team doesnt mean a thing. I dont trust him.

I dont understand the thinking behind the theory that if he just admits to doing one of the only things that could get you BANNED FOR LIFE from baseball, they should now let him into the Hall of Fame.

He has a point in saying gambling is an addiction just like drugs, and that the league falls over themselves providing rehab for druggies.

But you need to draw the line somewhere.

Troy
01-06-2004, 08:31 PM
Get him in there so all this shit will end!

Gmoney
01-06-2004, 09:55 PM
More and more info is coming out now and I doubt he is just being completely honest.

News reports say he made bets from the clubhouse and even called other managers to ask how their pitchers are doing.

He already admitted to the Commissioner back in Nov 92 that he bet on baseball, but is only doing it now to sell his book.

I originally set let him in, but now I am think they should just ban the lying son of a bitch. He should have come clean 15 fucking years ago!!! It's too bad, but he's done it to himself.

Polk High
01-06-2004, 11:09 PM
he is a liar, i don't know if i believe him

Polk High
01-06-2004, 11:10 PM
plus if you are manager and you bet on your team to win monday but not tuesday, then you will manage differently in both games. On tuesday you might leave johnie franco in the bullpen wherreas monday you'll bring him in to pitch so you can win cash. How dumb were those bookies?

Polk High
01-06-2004, 11:19 PM
everyone does agree that he is deserving though correct?

Gmoney
01-07-2004, 11:31 AM
He deserves to be in the Hall based on his on the field accomplishments, no doubt.

Although I think he is making is situation worse by handling it the way he has and the writers will probably not vote him in now. Possibly by the veterans' committee a few years from now....if reinstated.

High Life Man
01-07-2004, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Gmoney
Possibly by the veterans' committee a few years from now....if reinstated.

And I think that is what Selig is going for. Push it off until he becomes uneligiable to be elected by the Baseball Writers after Dec. 2005.

He'd then have to be voted in by the veteran's committee. And that would never happen. He's burned too many bridges.