PDA

View Full Version : Guns n' Roses review: Rock in Rio 2006

Anonymous
05-27-2006, 11:12 PM
First of all, lemme tell you I am NOT crazy about their music, even though I do enjoy Hollywood Rock alot. However, unlike most peeps, I do not consider them the best of the bunch, not by a long shot. But those are personal opinions that have absolutely NO place in this review. That cleared out, let's start:

They kicked things off with Welcome to the Jungle, and Axl took no time in showing how shot is voice is nowadays. The band was pretty solid, however, and they did justice to most of the classics, even if sometimes Slash's presence was sorely missed, particularly during the solo bit of Sweet Child O' Mine, where there was NO solo whatsoever... just the rythm section. Seems the kids CAN play, but not that good.

Axl, despite the fact his voice was shot - it's never too much to mention this fact, he was really terrible at times - his lack of endurance, and his obvious concern of being too fat - he was wearing a jacket AND a shirt in this terrible heat in a vain effort to hide his increased body weight - did manage to entertain the crowds, and shown he can still front a band better than most people.

Now, I wouldn't normally bother to mention his weight increase, but his concern about his figure was downright ridiculous. After playing three songs, the man was sweating profusely, went backstage, took his shirt off and kept his jacket on... Jaysus! Here's a clue, mate: if you don't want people to notice how fat you are, stop drawing attention to it. Either you run around the stage half-naked, or you wear winter clothes in the middle of the fuckin' summer... neither option's too pleasant to look at.

Okay, back to what it really matters, the fuckin' music: the entire band has shown they were perfectly trained monkeys - except those moments when Slash's solos were downright brilliants, of course - but as far as improvisation goes, they were a bit... boring. The guitar solo bits were not as bad as Mike's bass solos, but weren't much better either. The band itself still has a loooong way to go. The good news is, they DO have potential. I believe any of them can improve enough to become good musicians in their own right, ESPECIALLY the drummer. That guy had bits of genius at times. Has my respect, for what it's worth.

Back to Axl, the man was uncharacteristically good humored. He even made a joke about himself which made me laugh my arse off, because I had been betting about that all afternoon - and lost. Turning to the crowds, he asked "How many of you people didn't think we would be here tonight? Raise your hands." The public promptly responded, and the number of raised hands was astounding, even for me, and I was expecting quite a few hands in the air... Axl just laughed and went on "I see a lot of hands in the air... I see how you motherfuckers are. But being here you've shown great virtue... you've shown quite a bit of Patience." Cue Patience intro, and you have one of the highlights of the night.

However, things weren't so pleasant all the time. It seems that those who stayed at home didn't get to watch his "new" songs. Even though all the concerts were being transmitted live via cable, Axl specifically demanded that the broadcast be cut off whenever the Chinese Democracy tunes were being played. What an arsehole. But then again, he wouldn't be Axl if he wasn't a bitch about something.

Axl did manage to find his voice somewhat during in the latter part of the concert, and had warmed up enough to make a few short runs from here to there, although nothing to be compared to his good ol' times.

The ending of the concert was nothing short of spectacular, as they played Paradise City with a Portuguese flag waving in the wind against a clear blue sky in the Titantron, which is always a nice touch, as nice as Angus Young wearing boxer shorts with the flag of the country he's on stamped on his arse. I'm no patriot, but that does get most people going. The confetti rain during that same song was so thick that it was hard to see two feet in front of you, and it had a great effect as well.

To sum it up, it was a good concert, and if Axl doesn't go into hiding another 12 years, he can still recover his old voice and he can probably get back in shape as well, so we won't hear him panting and gasping for air every time he makes a bit of effort. I've seen this exact thing happen when Bruce Dickinson rejoined Iron Maiden. He was old, fat and tired, and every time he sang his old Maiden songs, his voice could barely hold those high notes. Fast forward two years, and Bruce was back in top shape, outrunning the devil and wailing 'till he made your ears bleed. As for the band, my opinion has been stated - a lot of potential, but not much to show yet. Let us hope, that's all we have.

And for all you fucks who are too lazy to read that whole shit above, lemme sum it up even more:

Compared to a Guns n' Roses concert back in the old days, this was mildly weak.
Compared to your average concert, it was pretty good and entertaining.

There's hope for this band. As for my personal, highly biased opinion... the Darkness can easily blow Axl and his support band off the stage any day of the week. :D

Cheers! :bottle:

binnie
05-28-2006, 04:41 AM
Cheers, that was a good review.

Sad to hear Axl's voice is shot tho'

DavidLeeNatra
05-28-2006, 08:43 AM
I watch the "best-of" video on AOL now...the darkness play AC/DC's "highway to hell" and "thunderstruck"... :D too bad if you don't have original songs to get a crowd going...

DavidLeeNatra
05-28-2006, 09:04 AM
now asshole rose...I wouldn't say the voice is shot...it has aged...no big 'ting...but agree on the shirt-thing...he looks like vince neil round his hips :D

binnie
05-28-2006, 09:20 AM
Did Izzy play at Rock in Rio?

Terry
05-28-2006, 11:43 PM
Pretty much amounts to a GnR cover band until Democracy comes out, IMO.

Axl should just drop the whole GnR deal and go out there as Axl Rose. Too much dead weight dragging that name along, and it's NEVER gonna be 1987 again anyway...

Anonymous
05-28-2006, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
I watch the "best-of" video on AOL now...the darkness play AC/DC's "highway to hell" and "thunderstruck"... :D too bad if you don't have original songs to get a crowd going...

Actually, you'd be surprised. The Darkness was one helluva concert, and they had the audience in theitr hands by the time they were playing their fourth music... and that's saying a lot, 'cuz I don't think they have that much of a following here. Their cover of Thunderstruck was actually a medley with one of their songs, and they had the crowd going before and after the AC/DC covers. If that was all you got to watch, lemme tell you... doesn't do 'em justice, not by a long shot.

Anonymous
05-28-2006, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
now asshole rose...I wouldn't say the voice is shot...it has aged...no big 'ting...but agree on the shirt-thing...he looks like vince neil round his hips :D

It IS shot... November Rain was a pain to hear. You'd think the man went tone deaf, or something. You Could Be Mine was surprisingly good however. I thought Axl'd fall apart if they played that song, but he managed to hold his own. Go figure.

Anonymous
05-28-2006, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by binnie
Did Izzy play at Rock in Rio?

I don't remember that... Axl did introduce the band at one point, but I didn't hear Izzy's name mentioned. Hard to say for sure, though.

Anonymous
05-28-2006, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by Terry
Pretty much amounts to a GnR cover band until Democracy comes out, IMO.

Axl should just drop the whole GnR deal and go out there as Axl Rose. Too much dead weight dragging that name along, and it's NEVER gonna be 1987 again anyway...

You honestly think he can make it without throwing the G'nR name around all the time?

Terry
05-29-2006, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by Imapus Sylicker
You honestly think he can make it without throwing the G'nR name around all the time?

News Flash: He probably ain't gonna be making it hanging on to the Guns name, either.

Rio is Rio; big festival, but it ain't the US.

Let's see Axl bring "Guns" to the US for some roadwork. Pull a few more no-shows...THEN we'll see.

Biggest publicity Axl's gotten in the last 4 years is getting his ass whipped by a fag in a club...that's not so much making it in my book...

Peace

binnie
05-29-2006, 03:15 AM
He just needs to put the album out!

PHOENIX
05-29-2006, 08:50 PM

Do you know Jarmo?

ELVIS
05-29-2006, 09:54 PM
Axl, despite the fact his voice was shot - it's never too much to mention this fact, he was really terrible at times

Thank you, review over...

I don't know why you wasted your time with the rest of this write up...

Next

:elvis:

Anonymous
05-30-2006, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by PHOENIX
Do you know Jarmo?

Who?

Anonymous
05-30-2006, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by ELVIS
Thank you, review over...

I don't know why you wasted your time with the rest of this write up...

Next

:elvis:

:lol: I tried not to be biased while wiriting that shit... but you're right, that would about sum it up. If I don't see Axl again, it'll be too soon. I was a bit looking forward to this concert, seeing as G'nR used to be real big and made an undeniably huge impact on music back then, but now I'm quite done with it.

He can release his album whenever he wants, he ain't gettin' my money anytime soon.

BALLYJUNKIE
05-31-2006, 08:16 AM
WHEN YOU ONLY HAVE 1 ORIGINAL MEMBER LEFT IN THE BAND ,THATS A JOKE ... CAN YOU IMAGINE ROBERT PLANT SAYING IM LED ZEPPLIN WITHOUT JIMMY PAGE ,BONHAM ,AND JONES THERE .... CAN YOU IMAGINE BRIAN JOHNSON GOING OUT ON THE ROAD AS AC/DC WITHOUT ANGUS ANS MALCOM ..... CAN YOU IMAGINE COUNTLESS OTHER BANDS ON THE ROAD WITH JUST ONE ORIGINAL MEMBER LEFT .....HEY AXL ,ITS NOT GUNS-ROSES ,ITS AXL ROSE SOLO BAND... GIVE US A BREAK ....HELL VELVET REVOLVER HAS MORE ORIGINAL GUNS -N- ROSES MEMBERS THAN GUNS-N- ROSES DO .... HOW FUNNY IS THAT ?