PDA

View Full Version : Breakfast Club principal died

Ally_Kat
05-28-2006, 11:38 PM
Paul Gleason, who played the go-to bad guy in "Trading Places" and the angry high school principal in "The Breakfast Club," has died. He was 67.

Gleason died at a local hospital Saturday of mesothelioma, a rare form of lung cancer linked to asbestos, said his wife, Susan Gleason.
"Whenever you were with Paul, there was never a dull moment," his wife said. "He was awesome."

A native of Miami, Gleason was an avid athlete. Before becoming an actor, he played Triple-A minor league baseball for a handful of clubs in the late 1950s.

Gleason honed his acting skills with his mentor Lee Strasberg, whom he studied with at the Actors Studio beginning in the mid-1960s, family members said.

Through his career, Gleason appeared in over 60 movies that included "Die Hard," "Johnny Be Good," and "National Lampoon's Van Wilder." Most recently, Gleason made a handful of television appearances in hit shows such as "Friends" and "Seinfeld."

Gleason's passions went beyond acting. He had recently published a book of poetry.

"He was an athlete, an actor and a poet," said his daughter, Shannon Gleason-Grossman. "He gave me and my sister a love that is beyond description that will be with us and keep us strong for the rest of our lives."

Actor Jimmy Hawkins, a friend of Gleason's since the 1960s, said he remembered Gleason for a sharp sense of humor.

"He just always had great stories to tell," Hawkins said.

Gleason was survived by his wife, two daughters and a granddaughter. Funeral plans were pending.
Source: yahoonews.com

POJO_Risin
05-28-2006, 11:43 PM
He was hilarious in "Die Hard"

"I think we're going to need some more FBI guys"

Ozzy Fudd
05-28-2006, 11:48 PM
I loved that guy he was hilarious.

bueno bob
05-29-2006, 08:50 AM
He gave me Saturday school in for the rest of my natural life...

MAX
05-29-2006, 08:57 AM
Man, the dude played a good asshole in every flick didn't he? One of my faves was from another one of my all time favorites "Arthur" where he said referring to Arthur...

"He gets all that money? Pays his family back by, by being a stinkin' drunk."

Then Hobson replied...

"I really wouldn't know sir, I'm just a servant. On the other hand, go screw yourself."

Anyhoo, the guy played some memorable roles. What a shame.

The_KiD
05-29-2006, 10:40 AM
Damn...

He always did a great job in his roles...

KiD

binnie
05-29-2006, 10:46 AM
Think I might watch that film tonight....

Bob_R
05-29-2006, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by Ally_Kat
Gleason died at a local hospital Saturday of mesothelioma, a rare form of lung cancer linked to asbestos

My Dad died of mesothelioma.

Anyway, RIP Paul.

fryingdutchman
06-02-2006, 05:30 AM
Farewell, Paul.

You were a great actor.

"The next time I hafta come in here....I'm crackin' skulls!"