PDA

View Full Version : United 93

MAX
05-29-2006, 01:03 AM
Just saw it today. My bro burned me a VCD. Fuckin' powerful shit. Stellar directing as well as acting. Again, it moved me and made me remember. Anyone else seen it?

Terry
05-29-2006, 06:54 PM
Yep. Saw it in the theater.

Pretty powerful. No stars, no jingoistic messages about how the passengers were 'heroes', effective portrayal about how confusing the whole thing was to FAA officials on the ground, didn't demonize the hijackers...the ending was so abrupt and compelling...not an easy feat for a subject where everyone knew how it would end...audience was virtually silent (and the theater was packed, to the point where people who got there as the movie started had to stand for the whole picture...and did)...noticed quite a few people crying on the way out...

One of the more memorable movies I've seen in awhile. From what I've read, the films producers insisted on a semi-limited distribution, as they were unsure how it would perform (so it wasn't released to as many screens as, say, Jack Blacks next creative 'opus', Nacho Libre, is gonna be) but it did pretty well.

MAX
05-29-2006, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by Terry
Yep. Saw it in the theater.

Pretty powerful. No stars, no jingoistic messages about how the passengers were 'heroes', effective portrayal about how confusing the whole thing was to FAA officials on the ground, didn't demonize the hijackers...the ending was so abrupt and compelling...not an easy feat for a subject where everyone knew how it would end...audience was virtually silent (and the theater was packed, to the point where people who got there as the movie started had to stand for the whole picture...and did)...noticed quite a few people crying on the way out...

One of the more memorable movies I've seen in awhile. From what I've read, the films producers insisted on a semi-limited distribution, as they were unsure how it would perform (so it wasn't released to as many screens as, say, Jack Blacks next creative 'opus', Nacho Libre, is gonna be) but it did pretty well.

Extremely accurate take there Terry.

Yup, the ending was extremely powerful just cos one wanted to have hope but we already knew the ending. I also must admit, when it showed the footage of the second plane hitting the tower, it brought back those vivid memories and horrific images from that morning and I also shed a few tears.

Terry
05-30-2006, 09:15 PM
When they finally burst into the cockpit and the ground is coming up fast...speculation as to if they actually breached the cockpit or not to be sure, but I literally said "Jesus CHRIST!" out loud...

Stunning.

MAX
05-30-2006, 09:24 PM
You know what also made that movie both so powerful and well done? The fact that by the end I became so lost into it that I was actually rooting for a "Hollywood" ending, even though we knew the inevidable. I know it sounds weird but I was screaming "Go!!! Go!!! Get those fuckers and land it!!!"

What I also like is the fact that the families of the victims fully endorsed and approved of how it was handled and filmed.

Again, that friggin' ending just left me quiet and took me back to 9/11.

Terry
05-31-2006, 09:32 PM
Totally agreed on how it was respectful towards the passengers - wasn't overly gory or anything, just realistic. It was done with taste, so no big surprise that the victim's families didn't object to the film.

I got totally lost in the film towards the ending too, momentarily forgetting how it was going to end and hoping they'd get control of and land the plane.

Seshmeister
05-31-2006, 11:22 PM
SPOILER ALERT!

Damn you've just given away the ending...:)

Terry
06-01-2006, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
SPOILER ALERT!

Damn you've just given away the ending...:)

Sorry. :p