PDA

View Full Version : Rugby

Steve Savicki
05-30-2006, 02:55 PM
Isn't this a cross between football and soccer in some sense?
Who do you think will take the World Cup 2007?

binnie
05-30-2006, 03:10 PM
Rugby would be closer to what you call football!

Australia will prob win the World Cup 2007, or New Zealand.

Two types

Rugby Union 15 players each team

Rugby League 13 players each team.

Full on game, very brutal.

Two halfs, 40 mins each, no time outs or stopped play.

You cannot pass the ball forward (but you can kick it forward).

One side with the ball tries to score against the other, who can tackle them. In league you get six tackles, then the ball is handed over. In Union, you get as many as you can before the other side manages to steal possession.

Scores are made by getting a TRY, which means getting over the other teams touch line and grounding the ball. After this you can an attempt at goal, which means kicking the ball over the posts.

That's the basics, hope that helps.

Jérôme Frenchise
05-30-2006, 05:27 PM
I worship rugby as a sport. I don't worship soccer at all, and I don't know much about American football.
As far as being international, only Western Europe, Australia, New Zealand and (my fave team for the next WC) South Africa play significant rugby.
So, no, it isn't an international sport, properly speaking. And American football sure owes a lot to rugby, of which it seems to be an alterate version. Just IMO of course. :cool:

m_dixon1984
05-30-2006, 05:46 PM
Rugby is fantastic!! Almost as good and violent as hockey but missing the 100mph projectile and wooden clubs, oh and boots with razor blades on the bottom. I've always wished that Canada could finally put together a respectable team but we only get ex-pats from down under or from England and they don't seem to stay long or have long since passed their prime.

Jerome, I'm surprised, a Frenchman who's not a soccer fan. My respect for you increases! You'd make a good Canadian, eh.

M

Unchainme
05-30-2006, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Steve Savicki

Can you please stop posting this board with such stupid pointless threads.

They're not welcome here, Neither are you.

Steve Savicki
05-31-2006, 09:50 PM
Jerome, so what are the altered rules to the football you know?

Dixon, so hockey is more violent than football?

Seshmeister
05-31-2006, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise
I worship rugby as a sport. I don't worship soccer at all, and I don't know much about American football.
As far as being international, only Western Europe, Australia, New Zealand and (my fave team for the next WC) South Africa play significant rugby.
So, no, it isn't an international sport, properly speaking. And American football sure owes a lot to rugby, of which it seems to be an alterate version. Just IMO of course. :cool:

Why would you support South Africa of all places rather than France?

Dan
06-02-2006, 11:06 PM

No.

Dan
06-02-2006, 11:09 PM

There's only One Team and The AllBlacks are the team to beat in 2007.

m_dixon1984
06-03-2006, 12:27 AM
Jerome, so what are the altered rules to the football you know?

Dixon, so hockey is more violent than football?

Football is also good and violent (size, weight and power in the hits is fantastic) but I think the speed and relentless aggression are what make hockey just a little more violent. Not to mention the almost acceptable not to infrequent slashes, high-sticks and fights. It's hard to beat hockey on a violence meter. rugby, Aussie rules football, American football, and hurling, in that order, would be next in line. Just my opinion and I know that football fans love to disagree but I'm comfortable with my position. As long as I don't have to watch a bunch of pussies on a soccer pitch I'm happy!

M

Soccer fans start your ranting...

BigBadBrian
06-03-2006, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by Unchainme
Can you please stop posting this board with such stupid pointless threads.

They're not welcome here, Neither are you.

Steve's a long standing member around VH and Roth boards.

I don't agree with some of what he says, but leave him alone.

:)

BigBadBrian
06-03-2006, 08:56 AM
And American football sure owes a lot to rugby, of which it seems to be an alterate version. Just IMO of course. :cool:

I agree.

American Football was adapted from rugby by the great football mind, Walter Camp. Tom Ellison of New Zealand was his guru...Camp read extensively of Ellison's theories on rugby and then made a game of his own.

:gulp:

BigBadBrian
06-03-2006, 08:57 AM
Rugby is OK I guess....I like to watch it. But damn, I can't wait until the NFL season starts again.

:cool:

Steve Savicki
06-03-2006, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian

I agree with you. Kudos, thanks, and I guess you can enjoy rugby until NFL. ;)

Unchainme
06-03-2006, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian

Aren't you two in the same boat, Lounge dumps your shit immediatly.

LMMFAO, Tell you what, When Savicki quits acting like a moron, I'll leave him alone.

BigBadBrian
06-04-2006, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Unchainme
Aren't you two in the same boat, Lounge dumps your shit immediatly.

That's because he can't put together a logical argument to what I post.

LMMFAO, Tell you what, When Savicki quits acting like a moron, I'll leave him alone.

I think you'd better look in the mirror and reassess that statement.

:gulp:

Steve Savicki
06-04-2006, 06:52 PM
:) BBB - Anyway, how long until NFL starts?

Dan
06-04-2006, 06:57 PM
This thread is about Rugby so start talking.

Dan
06-04-2006, 06:59 PM
Who are you picking for The world cup 2007 people?

Dan
06-04-2006, 07:02 PM
Top Four teams are.

1)AllBlacks

2)France

3)Australia

4)South Africa

Romeo Delight
06-05-2006, 01:52 AM
I've played rugby for more than a few years.

I still can't get passed the whole idea of a ruck.

A ruck is where a loose ball is battled for by grappling with your teammates to move the opposition's teammates so you can kick the ball back to your scrum-half.

It just doesn't make sense to me. To me, Football and its rules seem more appropriate with a loose ball being fought for in any way imaginable. The idea that grown men would grapple one another when the fucking ball is right there in front of them seems quite gay.

However, I would never say these things to a rugby player under any circumstances.

Dan
06-05-2006, 02:09 AM
The ball should go through the hooker's legs and then the half-back should pass it out to the backs.

The new term they use now is called "Truck and Trailer.

I played right wing for a number of years,cos I was fast and had good hand and ball skills.

Romeo Delight
06-05-2006, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by Dan
The ball should go through the hooker's legs

The new term they use now is called "Truck and Trailer.

I was fast and had good hand and ball skills.

Wow:eek:

Rugby is a man's man's game to be sure, but listen to yourself;)

Dan
06-05-2006, 02:22 AM
Originally posted by DavidFlamma
Wow:eek:

Rugby is a man's man's game to be sure, but listen to yourself;)

LOL.

Rugby is in our Blood,from aged 6 onwards,you eat.sleep and play when you can.When you get to my age you can play for the over 30's Team.:D

darcy
06-05-2006, 02:28 AM
i use to play at high school a sort of league/union mix. its a good game. except when the guys in the 1st 15 decided that i was a good scrawny tackle bag.
i hate how americans see it as a barbaric sport and certain shows depict it totaly wrong.

i bet 805 of americans wouldnt even know they had a national team. and that when theres a world cup, more teams from other countries actually participate.

2007 perdiction: all blacks are looking strong so far with the super 14 teams and the crusaders winning. England will fail if wilkinson is still out.

Romeo Delight
06-05-2006, 02:30 AM
I played inside center and some fullback.

I can't imagine getting involved in the scrum though. Not my idea of a healthy Saturday afternoon.

Fullback was cool because you could really line someone up, but you looked like a fool if you missed.

I could really kick the shit out of the ball so sometimes I would kick it out of bounds and we would line up 60 yards downfield.

Dan
06-05-2006, 02:35 AM
I played inside center and some fullback.

I can't imagine getting involved in the scrum though. Not my idea of a healthy Saturday afternoon.

Fullback was cool because you could really line someone up, but you looked like a fool if you missed.

I could really kick the shit out of the ball so sometimes I would kick it out of bounds and we would line up 60 yards downfield.

What's the state of Rugby in Canada?

Dan
06-05-2006, 02:39 AM
Originally posted by darcy
i use to play at high school a sort of league/union mix. its a good game. except when the guys in the 1st 15 decided that i was a good scrawny tackle bag.
i hate how americans see it as a barbaric sport and certain shows depict it totaly wrong.

i bet 805 of americans wouldnt even know they had a national team. and that when theres a world cup, more teams from other countries actually participate.

2007 perdiction: all blacks are looking strong so far with the super 14 teams and the crusaders winning. England will fail if wilkinson is still out.

Amen on The AllBlacks.

The Kiwi's are leading the way when it comes to Super 14 Rugby.

The Aucklnad Blues let me down again.

Darcy,what teams do you support?

Romeo Delight
06-05-2006, 02:46 AM
Originally posted by Dan
What's the state of Rugby in Canada?

It's played alot, in high schools and club teams.

Whenever I watch international games, Canada just looks too small, and way overmatched.

Depressing is the word. Kind of like Italy playing Canada in hockey:D

Dan
06-05-2006, 02:56 AM
It's played alot, in high schools and club teams.

Whenever I watch international games, Canada just looks too small, and way overmatched.

Depressing is the word. Kind of like Italy playing Canada in hockey:D

Maybe we should send a few Kiwi boys over there to help out.

Canada will be stronger when they get more Tough Teams to play.I mean that in a nice way too.

I'm sure they still have a Seven's Team playing?