PDA

View Full Version : Clemens to the Astros?

POJO_Risin
05-30-2006, 10:34 PM
This seems to be a foregone conclusion...

the decision should be coming soon...but I firmly expect it to be the Astros...

and I firmly expect him to do well...however...not sure about the Astros...

Updated: May 30, 2006, 6:49 PM ET
Astros GM says Clemens situation is 'status quo'ESPN.com news services

Houston Astros general manager Tim Purpura denied a report on Tuesday that Roger Clemens had picked a team for 2006, saying the situation was "status quo."

Clemens' agent, Randy Hendricks, and Astros' owner Drayton McLane also denied the report.

Newsday reported on its Web site that Clemens had decided to re-sign with the Astros and an announcement would be made as soon as today.

Purpura denied the report, telling ESPN.com's Jayson Stark, "It's status quo, except for all the media attention we've had."

"We've had no conduct with Roger's people today," said Purpura, adding that the last time he talked to Hendricks was Sunday.

Purpura said he was told then that "Roger was still in the mode of trying to decide what he wants to do." So essentially, Purpura said, "We're just awaiting his decision."

Hendricks told ESPN.com that he hasn't spoken to the Astros on Tuesday.

"Contrary to Newsday, there is no agreement with the Astros," Hendricks said.

McLane also reiterated that Clemens has not signed with the team.

"We haven't finished the deal yet," McLane told the Houston Chronicle. "We've been standing by. Tim or I have talked to him every two or three days. They haven't given us a decision. They haven't said a word to us about it. That's complete news to me. We haven't finalized the deal yet nor has he told us. Boy that's total news to us."

Still, McLane remains optimistic that a deal will get done soon.

"I've been confident since January," McLane told MLB.com. "We waited on them and they said they would get back to us. I talked to Tim about an hour and a half ago. We're very very optimtistic, but we knew that we have to wait to hear back from them. That has not happened yet."

Another baseball executive, whose team has been involved in the Clemens discussions, told Stark on Tuesday that he believes Clemens could sign with the Astros in the next 48 hours. Among the reasons: Clemens' son, Koby, is about ready to come off the disabled list in the Astros' minor league system, making it possible that Clemens could pitch to Koby in his tuneup starts, either in extended spring training or for one of the Astros' minor-league clubs.

A source who has talked to Clemens this month says Clemens spoke about that possibility and seemed intrigued by it. Father and son have been working out together recently, as they both geared up for a return, the source told Stark.

Meanwhile, two baseball men who have been in contact with Clemens told Stark the only other team Clemens is seriously considering is the Red Sox, because they are more willing than the Yankees to give Clemens the kind of schedule and travel concessions the Astros offered him over the last two years. Nevertheless, Houston is still viewed as the favorite. Texas has also been considered a possibility.

In December, the Astros declined to offer Clemens arbitration after he went 13-8 with a 1.87 ERA in 32 starts. However, Clemens began to wear down late in the season and lasted just two innings in Houston's Game One loss to the Chicago White Sox in the World Series due to a hamstring injury.

In his two seasons with the Astros, Clemens posted a 31-12 record with a 2.43 ERA.

An 11-time All-Star, Clemens has more wins than any other living pitcher and ranks ninth all-time with 341 victories. In 672 career games, he is 341-172 with a 3.12 ERA and has recorded 4,502 career strikeouts, trailing only Nolan Ryan (5,714) on the all-time list.

Information from The Associated Press and SportsTicker was used in this report.

ALinChainz
05-31-2006, 01:01 AM
Houston is just too sweet a deal for him, being from the area.

Not sure if its his best shot at a ring before retiring, but just too convenient and probably the major reason for staying in Houston.

redblkwht
05-31-2006, 03:24 AM
Done deal...

yahoo news courtesy-

Report: Clemens agrees to one-year deal with Astros
May 31, 2006

MELVILLE, New York (Ticker) - "The Rocket" apparently will launch once again.

Newsday reported Tuesday that righthander Roger Clemens has ended his prolonged absence from baseball and agreed on a one-year deal with the Houston Astros.

A seven-time Cy Young Award winner, the 43-year-old Clemens reportedly will receive $3.5 million per month from the Astros, who battled in negotiations with the New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox for the future of Hall of Famer's services.

ADVERTISEMENT
The Houston Chronicle reported that Astros owner Drayton McLane and general manager Tim Purpura were still awaiting a decision from Clemens.

"We've been standing by," McLane told the newspaper. "Tim and I have talked to him every two or three days. They haven't given us a decision. They haven't said a word to us about it. That's complete news to me. We haven't finalized the deal yet nor has he told us. Boy that's total news to us."

One of the reasons Clemens likely ended up with the Astros is because he's a Texas native.

"I've been talking with Rog and I'll leave it up to him to let him share whatever he's going to share when it's time to share," Astros pitcher Andy Pettitte said. "Before when you all would ask me I didn't know anything. I do know now but again it's not my place to say anything about that."

Clemens dominated the National League over the past two seasons but announced that he likely would retire at the end of the 2005 campaign. He pitched in the World Baseball Classic in March but still declined to comment on his future.

In December, the Astros declined to offer Clemens arbitration after he went 13-8 with a 1.87 ERA in 32 starts. However, Clemens began to wear down late in the season and lasted just two innings in Houston's Game One loss to the Chicago White Sox in the World Series due to a hamstring injury.

In his two seasons with the Astros, Clemens posted a 31-12 record with a 2.43 ERA.

An 11-time All-Star, Clemens has more wins than any other living pitcher and ranks ninth all-time with 341 victories. In 672 career games, he is 341-172 with a 3.12 ERA and has recorded 4,502 career strikeouts, trailing only Nolan Ryan (5,714) on the all-time list.

The Astros (27-26) could use Clemens' services. They have lost six of their last eight games and are in third place in the NL Central Division, 6 1/2 games behind the St. Louis Cardinals.

POJO_Risin
05-31-2006, 03:57 AM
That's the same report that they were denying was a done deal Tuesday morning...

It's going to happen...but I just don't think it's finished yet...

EbDawson
05-31-2006, 04:43 AM
Thought he'd go to Red Sox myself. 'Stros are only around .500. Don't see them having a second half like they did last year.

POJO_Risin
05-31-2006, 05:39 PM
But they could...

1 year deal...for the rest of this year...at 12.5 million...

a boatload of money...

signed it this afternoon...

EbDawson
06-01-2006, 02:59 AM
Maybe. The chance to play with his son pulled some weight there.

jcook11
06-01-2006, 06:46 PM
12.5 millon?! Way to go Rocket! Even though I think you are a SHITBAG for the bush league garbage you have done to Piazza way to go. I still hope you get beaned if you bat against the Mets.

POJO_Risin
06-01-2006, 06:54 PM
His son played a part...but his whole family was probably the bigger part...

not to mention the fact that he owns big pieces of some Astro farm teams as well...