PDA

View Full Version : Eats, Shoots & Leaves

LoungeMachine
05-31-2006, 12:34 AM
A panda goes into a café, eats a sandwich, and then takes out a gun. He fires two shots into the air and moves toward the door. Perplexed, the bartender asks him why he did that. "I'm a panda," he replies, tossing a badly-punctuated wildlife manual at the man. "Look it up." Inside, the panda's entry reads as follows: "Panda. Large bear-like mammal native to China. Eats, shoots and leaves."

This is a great book. There are more than a few of us puncuation perfectionists in here, and this is a great read.

There's actually a name for the comma in a list sentence, which precedes the "&"

It's the seldom used "Oxford comma".

As in: Van Halen is Ed, Mike, Al, and Dave.

I also learned there's actually a name for what I refer to as "Pojospeak"

The sentences that trail off in the ...

The [...] are ellipsis.

It's full of stuff I've wondered, or have forgotten from school long ago.

Such as the "sic"

I've always known what it meant, however had no idea of it's origin.

Anyway, not to get all "Oprah book club" on anyone, but it's a good book. Pick up a copy in paperback. Read it in the can.

-LM

:cool:

Ally_Kat
05-31-2006, 12:47 AM
didn't you have language arts throughout your education?

binnie
05-31-2006, 03:13 AM
Sounds like a good read...

I will keep a lookout for it.

LoungeMachine
05-31-2006, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by Ally_Kat
didn't you have language arts throughout your education?

Yes, Ally, I'm sure I did.

However except for the occasional "career day", I haven't stepped foot in a classroom in over 20 years. ["My dad used to be a rock star, but now all he does is sit around the house playing with things, he doesn't have a job anymore"] My kids pretty much stopped asking me to speak at their classes around grade 4.... LOL

Which is why I bought the book. Some of us old fogies [sp?] need a refresher every now and again, Ally, but thanks for your concern.;)

Should we stop reading books once we finish school?

Should we not let others know when we find something worth reading?

Punctuation, especially the your/you're debate is a constant flame tool on this site. I thought it was an appropriate book to suggest.

But then so would beginning a sentence with a capital letter. ;)

-LM

jcook11
05-31-2006, 05:46 PM
LOUNGE: I'm impressed, you actually get a book that is'nt mostly pictures! Who knew?!

Ally_Kat
05-31-2006, 05:59 PM
yeah, well, I don't need to buy a book to re-teach myself stuff I learned every year from 1st to 12th grade. :D

Originally posted by LoungeMachine

-LM

Oh noes, I didn't capitalize! *shakes in my booties* Please, everyone knows that grammar is different on the interweb, unless you're a journalist/news organization posting articles on the web. You need to look no further than Pojo-speak as an example, as they are the incorrect use of ellipses.

I'm actually surprised that you didn't know what ellipses were
(and yes, that's spelt correctly. Ellipses is the plural of ellipsis).

Coyote
05-31-2006, 06:25 PM
Should we stop reading books once we finish school?

Should we not let others know when we find something worth reading?

Punctuation, especially the your/you're debate is a constant flame tool on this site. I thought it was an appropriate book to suggest.

-LM

1. No
2. No
3. Looks like a good one, too.
4. No habla ingles.

Coyote
05-31-2006, 07:42 PM
We now return you to your regular programming...

rustoffa
05-31-2006, 09:10 PM
I used to have this book called "Giant Pandas': Evolution, Tigers, and The Manchurian Province".

It was basically a veiled attempt @ solidifying some dipshit's theory of extreme variances' in climate effecting DYNASTYS'.

There's also a joke about some Panda trying to make bamboo Jambalaya that I can't remember now.

:)

LoungeMachine
05-31-2006, 10:11 PM
yeah, well, I don't need to buy a book to re-teach myself stuff I learned every year from 1st to 12th grade. :D

Yes, you're so above it all.

We get it. :cool:

LoungeMachine
05-31-2006, 10:14 PM

. You need to look no further than Pojo-speak as an example, as they are the incorrect use of ellipses.

Not according to the book.

Miss no-it-all :D

Pojo is using them correctly.

Guess you're even smarter than the author. ;)

Coyote
05-31-2006, 10:14 PM

There's a dirty joke in there somewhere... But I won't go there. :hitch:

LoungeMachine
05-31-2006, 10:15 PM
LMAO

This isn't about your fucking commas...

It's about my fucking cunt.

LoungeMachine
05-31-2006, 10:18 PM
Note to self:

Don't let Ally know what you're reading, because she may mock and ridicule you for admitting that after 20 years out of the classroom, it's fun and interesting to revisit certain subjects.

By the way, Ally. I also studied history in grades 1-12, yet am reading some fascinating books that seem to differ from American Public School text books from 20 years ago.

Should I burn them?

Nevermind.

LoungeMachine
05-31-2006, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by rustoffa

There's also a joke about some Panda trying to make bamboo Jambalaya that I can't remember now.

:)

There's also a dirty version of the Eats, Shoots and Leaves jokes. It takes place in a whorehouse.

As if a panda carries that kind of cash...

EAT MY ASSHOLE
05-31-2006, 10:37 PM
Lounge, you're so gay.

rustoffa
05-31-2006, 10:38 PM
There's also a dirty version of the Eats, Shoots and Leaves jokes. It takes place in a whorehouse.

As if a panda carries that kind of cash...

;)

As a matter of fact they have several lunch buffets @ shoeshows here. Angry pimps have cwazy getups!
:D

LoungeMachine
05-31-2006, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
Lounge, you're so gay.

said EAT MY ASSHOLE

:D :D :D

LoungeMachine
05-31-2006, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by rustoffa
;)

As a matter of fact they have several lunch buffets @ shoeshows here. Angry pimps have cwazy getups!
:D

Was wonderin' when Denny would come up :D

Coyote
05-31-2006, 11:04 PM
LMAO

This isn't about your fucking commas...

It's about my fucking cunt.

Something like that, albeit more twisted.

Kinda like her... :lol:

ashstralia
06-01-2006, 12:01 PM
a dyslexic walks into a bra...

fully (sic) m8!

EAT MY ASSHOLE
06-01-2006, 01:12 PM
said EAT MY ASSHOLE

:D :D :D

Dude, I pity the slob who has to rim me. My shit smells so bad these days flies won't even get near it.

Ally_Kat
06-01-2006, 10:16 PM
Note to self:

Don't let Ally know what you're reading, because she may mock and ridicule you for admitting that after 20 years out of the classroom, it's fun and interesting to revisit certain subjects.

By the way, Ally. I also studied history in grades 1-12, yet am reading some fascinating books that seem to differ from American Public School text books from 20 years ago.

Should I burn them?

Nevermind.

It's one thing to read more indepth about an area in WWII or to examine autobiographies dealing with the Civil Rights Movement. I just don't see the point in revisting 6th Grade ELA Skills unless one is that lacking in Grammar.

LoungeMachine
06-01-2006, 10:22 PM
Yes, Ally, I know.

You don't see the point.

However, we all see different points.

Hence, Baskin & Robbins.

:cool: