PDA

View Full Version : Soldiers Now Forced To Buy Own Uniforms

Hardrock69
05-31-2006, 09:14 AM
(KMOV) - Americans everywhere paused to honor fallen heroes Monday.

KMOV

But a father in Wright City is questioning the Army's treatment of those who put their lives on the line for our country.

Bob Simmons wears a shirt that proudly shows his son defends freedom.

Jebadiah, 19, serves in the army and will soon be headed to Bosnia, minus a little extra of his spending money.

"About a week and a half two weeks ago he found out the army’s changing over to the new uniforms and they're going to make them buy them themselves and I was astounded," said Simmons.

The Army changed to new, lighter uniforms in April.

The cost for the uniforms is about $200.

Workers at Uncle Sam's, which sells the uniforms, say other solders have lamented about paying for their uniforms as well.

Bob Simmons even contacted various elected officials about the matter.

"The contacts to Senator Bond and Rep. Hulshof, although its a holiday weekend and I understand people go out of town, but I haven’t heard from either of them," said Simmons.

On this Memorial Day Bob Simmons says he can’t help but recall his own days in the Army. He was drafted in 1970 during the Vietnam War and says he did not have to pay for his own uniform.

And says this father, if he didn't have to, why should his son?

"These people are doing a great job. They’re making a big sacrifice and now the Army wants to charge them for their uniform. Next they'll charge them for bullets and their food. Its unbelievable," Simmons added.

Despite the uniform controversy, service to our country runs in that family.

Simmons has another son in the process of enlisting in the Army.

http://www.kmov.com/localnews/stories/kmov_localnews_060529_uniforms.357773f0.html

LoungeMachine
05-31-2006, 09:58 AM
What's next?

Getting pre-billed for your body bag?

frets5150
06-01-2006, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
What's next?

Ouch!!! :(

BigBadBrian
06-01-2006, 11:14 PM
What's next?

Military personnel have always had to pay for their uniforms.

That's a fact.

:gulp:

LoungeMachine
06-01-2006, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian

That's a fact.

Bullshit

From the Navy's official site:

U.S. Navy Homepage

Navy BenefitsFinancial Benefits
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Uniforms
Do I have to pay for the uniforms I am issued upon entrance into the Navy?

Every recruit is issued a full allowance of uniforms. After the first year, all sailors get a uniform allowance to ensure all uniforms are kept in top shape.

Site Index Legal Webmaster, navy.com
CNRC Code N923C
5722 Integrity Dr., Bldg 784
Millington, TN 38054 Email: webmaster@navy.com
Telephone: 901.874.9198

LoungeMachine
06-01-2006, 11:29 PM
Clothing Allowance
To help pay for an enlisted servicemember's uniform and other clothing costs, a clothing allowance may be given if appropriate clothing is not furnished.

ACTIVE DUTY RESERVE NATIONAL GUARD VETERANS RETIREES

Clothing Allowances

To help pay for a member's uniform and other clothing costs, you may be given a clothing allowance (if appropriate clothing is not furnished). It is Department of Defense policy that the quantities and kinds of items of individual clothing to be furnished shall be prescribed by the respective Service Secretary or the Commandant of the Marine Corps under the parameters set by the Assistant Secretary of Defense (Force Management Policy). The following is a summary of clothing allowances:

Initial Uniform Allowance
Types of Allowances
Initial Clothing Allowances
Cash Clothing Replacement Allowances
Extra Clothing Allowances
Military Clothing Maintenance Allowance
Officers of the Armed Forces of the United States are entitled to an initial uniform allowance. Except as provided in the note, below, the initial uniform allowance is payable only once to an officer:

· Upon first reporting for active duty (other than for training) for a period of more than 90 days.

· Upon completing at least 14 days of active duty or active duty for training as a member of a Reserve Component.

· Upon completing 14 periods of inactive-duty training as a member of the Ready Reserve. (Each period must be of at least 2 hours duration).

· Upon reporting for the first period of active duty required of a member of the Armed Forces Health Professions Scholarship Program. NOTE: Upon transfer to another Reserve Component that requires a different uniform, a Reserve officer may receive another initial uniform allowance. Regular officers may not receive this allowance when transferring to another Military Service.

Types of Allowances

There are four basic types of clothing allowances:

· Initial Clothing Allowances are provided to enlisted members upon initial enlistment or upon other special qualification for entitlement to a prescribed outfitting of uniforms. The initial issue may be an in kind issue or a combination of in kind issue and cash payment.

2005 Standard Initial Clothing Allowances
Army Navy
(E-1 to E-6) Air Force Marine Corps
Male Female Male Female Male Female Male Female
1,283.49 1,551.49 1,157.21 1,371.69 1,235.51 1,445.25 1,173.30 1,409.25

· Cash Clothing Replacement Allowances are paid to enlisted members upon the anniversary month each successive year following the provision of an initial clothing allowance. Cash clothing replacement allowances are for replacement of required uniform items based on a normal wear rate.

2005 Cash Clothing Replacement Allowances
Type Army Navy Air Force Marine Corps
Male Female Male Female Male Female Male Female
Basic 356.40 417.60 288.00 291.60 291.60 324.00 255.60 273.60
Standard 511.20 594.00 410.40 414.00 417.60 464.40 367.20 392.40
Special 0 0 604.80 626.40 0 0 0 0

· Extra Clothing Allowances are additional to initial and replacement allowances and do not reduce, replace or otherwise affect them. Extra Clothing Allowances cover unusual circumstances when an enlisted member may require additional uniform items or when an officer (with a permanent duty station outside the United States) or enlisted member may require civilian clothing to perform his or her assigned duties.

· Military Clothing Maintenance Allowance (Enlisted Only)
Basic: This allowance provides for continued replacement and maintenance of uniquely military items that would normally require replacement during the first 3 years of active duty.

Standard: This allowance provides for continued replacement and maintenance of unique military items that would normally require replacement after completion of 3 years of active duty.

The amounts following payment amounts may differ from service to service. Military Clothing Maintenance Allowance
Male Female
Type of Duty Basic Standard Basic Standard
Active (monthly) 23.09 32.87 25.59 36.56
Reserve (per drill) 2.71 3.87 2.94 4.20

MORE BULLSHIT FROM BRIE.......

BigBadBrian
06-02-2006, 06:13 AM
Bullshit

From the Navy's official site:

U.S. Navy Homepage

Navy BenefitsFinancial Benefits
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Uniforms
Do I have to pay for the uniforms I am issued upon entrance into the Navy?

Every recruit is issued a full allowance of uniforms. After the first year, all sailors get a uniform allowance to ensure all uniforms are kept in top shape.

No, it's not bullshit. I was in the world's greatest navy (USN). This father in the story and yourself have no clue how things work.

Yes, they are issued a full set of uniforms. In Navy terms, it's called a "seabag." They also have their pay deducted for it. After that, sailors get a clothing allowance (never enough to buy all the uniforms one requires) every year to maintain the state of all of their uniforms.
They then must use their own money to buy what they need throughout the year.

LoungeMachine
06-02-2006, 06:18 AM
Clothing Allowance
To help pay for an enlisted servicemember's uniform and other clothing costs, a clothing allowance may be given if appropriate clothing is not furnished.

sailors get a clothing allowance (never enough to buy all the uniforms one requires) every year to maintain the state of all of their uniforms.
They then must use their own money to buy what they need throughout the year.

That's a fact.

"Military personel have always had to pay" is bullshit, Brie.....

Just admit you were wrong:rolleyes:

BigBadBrian
06-02-2006, 06:23 AM
"Military personel have always had to pay" is bullshit, Brie.....

Just admit you were wrong:rolleyes:

Nope. I'm not wrong.

You are. You have no clue how the military system works.

On that note, I'm off to work now.

Expect a storm of op-ed threads from me later on today.

:)

LoungeMachine
06-02-2006, 06:28 AM
Nope. I'm not wrong.

You are. You have no clue how the military system works.

On that note, I'm off to work now.

Expect a storm of op-ed threads from me later on today.

:)

Enjoy work.

I look forward to closing your op-ed spam as always.....:)

Nitro Express
06-02-2006, 01:08 PM
The Romans not only made their soldiers pay for their uniforms but their weapons as well. A new soldier would be given an allowance to get equipped. Success in battle meant soldiers would get a share of the booty and would upgrade their gear.

The real rip-off is Iraq is an oil wealthy country. In Roman times all that wealth would trickle down to the sodiers. Sure the leadership get a bigger cut of the pie but the average infantry man could do well on a successful siege.

The insurgients would be crucified along the main roads, the Iraqi citizens used as slaves, the countries wealth would go to Rome. A generouse portion was always given to the military who would pay their soldiers well for a job well done.

The Roman soldiers also had the best medical care in the ancient world. It really wasn't a bad deal if you didn't get killed.