• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • POJO_Risin
    Roth Army Caesar
    • Mar 2003

Another Case of an Athlete Bucking the System

What a fucking joke this is...

I need to get my son into professional athletics...so he can do whatever the fuck he wants...

what a life...

no wonder most kids today are fucking jizzbags...with these dipshits in the news every day...

'Skins' Taylor avoids jail, placed on 18 months' probation
    June 1, 2006
    CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

MIAMI -- Washington Redskins safety Sean Taylor reached an agreement with prosecutors allowing him to plead no contest to a misdemeanor in the assault case against him, avoiding any jail time and the possibility of missing any of the upcoming NFL season.

The deal calls for Taylor to be placed on 18 months' probation, give speeches about the importance of staying in school at 10 Miami-Dade County schools and make contributions of $1,000 for scholarships to each of those schools, according to attorneys familiar with the case. They spoke on the condition of anonymity because the deal had not been finalized Wednesday. A hearing was scheduled for Thursday.

Taylor, 23, had faced a maximum of 46 years in prison if convicted on three aggravated assault charges and one misdemeanor charge stemming from a confrontation last June with a group of people in a dispute over all-terrain vehicles that Taylor owns. The trial was scheduled to start July 10.

Under the plea deal, Taylor is pleading no contest only to the misdemeanor battery charge. If he doesn't violate probation, even that charge would be eliminated from his record, the attorneys said.

The agreement came after the original prosecutor on the case, Michael Grieco, resigned in April after Taylor's lawyers claimed he was using the notoriety to promote his moonlighting business as a nightclub disc jockey. Grieco had posted links to news articles about the case on a personal Internet site.

Taylor's lawyers had repeatedly questioned whether the charges were warranted and whether the victims and witnesses in the case -- many of whom have criminal records -- were reliable.

Taylor, a former University of Miami standout, signed a seven-year, $18 million contract with the Redskins after he was drafted in 2004. He has six interceptions and 120 tackles in two NFL seasons, but has become almost as well-known for his troubles.

Taylor has been fined seven times during his professional career for late hits and other infractions, including a $17,000 penalty for spitting in the face of Tampa Bay running back Michael Pittman during a January playoff game. He was also fined $25,000 for skipping a mandatory rookie symposium.

AP NEWS
    The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2005-2006, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved
    "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."
  • jcook11
    Commando
    • Sep 2004

NICE!

Comment

• VHdamaco
      Foot Soldier
      • Nov 2004

as a skins fan, im happy that hes not going to jail, but as a law-abiding (normally) citizen, this does piss me off to no end because hes only getting off due to the fact hes famous...

18 mo probation is a slap o nthe fucking wrist...

but at least the skins still have the human hitstick on the d next year...
      Don't FUCK With Greatness...

Comment

• POJO_Risin
        Roth Army Caesar
        • Mar 2003

Unfortunately...if you are a star...you usually have the ends to the means of just about anything...

scary where this world has placed athletes...
        "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• monkeythe
          Foot Soldier
          • Apr 2004

In all fairness, don't you think 46 years would have been a little steep. The real douch bag in this case is the original prosecuter. His greed was what ruined the case against Taylor, not his celebrity.

Comment

• Mama's Fool
            Head Fluffer
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by VHdamaco
            as a skins fan, im happy that hes not going to jail, but as a law-abiding (normally) citizen, this does piss me off to no end because hes only getting off due to the fact hes famous...

18 mo probation is a slap o nthe fucking wrist...

but at least the skins still have the human hitstick on the d next year...
            Couldn't have said it better myself. At least he's not in the Chris Henry league yet.

Comment

• WARF
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jan 2004

I'm sick of this shit...
              Why the fuck are athletes bigger than the law??
              I'm gonna join the NBA... and rob a bank!
              So I don't miss the season.

Comment

• knuckleboner
                Crazy Ass Mofo
                • Jan 2004

i gotta agree withe monkeythe - it's more a case of money and having a good attorney.

remember, taylor was charged with brandishing a firearm. not a grat act, by any means, but also not exactly a horrific crime, either.

add in the fact that he was going to testify that he was confronting the people he believed stole his ATVs, and you're looking at a real tough case to get the jury to agree to hit him with a felony conviction. joe schmoe with a solid lawyer gets off with a sweetheart plea bargain in this same situation.

which is not to say that taylor isn't a punk. then again, he did go to the U...

Comment

Working...