PDA

View Full Version : Keyshawn Johnson and Steve Smith

POJO_Risin
06-01-2006, 07:59 AM
Well...they may very well be...when it's all said and done...

and wow...Key had 1 FUCKING DROP ALL SEASON LAST YEAR...WITH BLEDSOE THROWING HIM THE BALL...

that's plain sick...

This could be the piece Carolina needs to get to the bowl...

that and a healthy RB...

any better receiving tandems you can think of...

that don't include a rookie...;)

POJO_Risin
06-01-2006, 08:00 AM
Of course...they may end up killing each other as well...;)

POJO_Risin
06-01-2006, 08:00 AM
Panthers' Henning welcomes inevitable receiver friction
May 30, 2006
By Clark Judge
CBS SportsLine.com Senior Writer

The Carolina Panthers resume organized practices Wednesday, which means wide receivers Keyshawn Johnson and Steve Smith can start getting used to sharing the same huddle. Now the question: Can they get used to sharing the same ball?

Probably not, said offensive coordinator Dan Henning. But listen to him, and you realize that might not be a bad thing.

Keyshawn Johnson, Dallas' No. 1 receiver in '05, had two of his best years under Dan Henning. (Getty Images)
"There are going to be some blowups on occasion, and most of the time they're going to explode at me," said Henning. "That goes on with everybody. But I'd rather do it with guys who can get the job done."

That's no problem here. Smith set career highs last season with a league-leading 103 catches, 1,563 yards and 13 touchdowns.

But Johnson can get the job done, too. He led Dallas in receiving last year, had a career-high 106 catches at Tampa Bay and had 83 and 89 receptions in the two seasons he and Henning were together at the New York Jets.

Those were the days when Johnson stood behind a memoir entitled Just Give Me the Damn Ball!, a demand that once summed up his offensive philosophy. But making that happen will be tough -- impossible -- when that offense includes an All-Pro wide receiver.

Which is where Henning comes in. He decides who gets the ball and how often, which means he decides how much or how little Johnson and Smith are used. It's a tricky position, but Henning is the right man for the job.

He has experience with both receivers. He's smart. He's tough. And he's accomplished, having gone to Super Bowls with Washington and Carolina. Most important, Henning is a man of conviction. He has a formula that works, and he sticks to it -- even when it means someone isn't happy.

"First of all, there are not enough balls for Steve Smith," he said. "He's never happy, but that's just the way it goes. Now, I know Keyshawn and what he expects, and he's never happy, either.

"But the point is: They're what we need, and it's better to have something when you need it -- sort of like having an umbrella if you get caught in the rain. It's what you need. And the key thing here for both these guys is that all they want to do is win.

"We're not about numbers. We're not about being the No.1-ranked offense. This is about making us a better team."

Henning is convinced that adding Johnson does just that. So am I. Not only because Johnson is better than anything the Panthers have at the spot opposite Smith, but because Henning has a history with him -- with Johnson enjoying the experience so much he cited Henning as a reason for signing with Carolina.

"He and I have a definite understanding of our positions and what is expected of us," said Henning. "And we expect that of each other. This is a big-time competitor, and we thought he was just what we needed."

Steve Smith is coming off an All-Pro season when he set career highs in catches, yards and TDs. (Getty Images)
I'll second that, with last year's playoffs as the evidence. The Panthers advanced to the NFC Championship Game, with Smith leading the parade. But that was the problem. Smith not only was the team's most effective weapon; he was the only weapon, responsible for half of the team's receptions, five of its seven touchdowns and 38 percent of its offense.

When Seattle met the Panthers in the conference championship game, the Seahawks aimed their defense at stopping one guy, and Carolina was helpless to respond. That experience convinced the Panthers brain trust it had to give Smith help, which is where Keyshawn comes in.

The Panthers identified wide receiver as a position of need but weren't convinced they could find help -- especially immediate help -- through the draft. That caused them to look at free-agency, where the choices were limited as well ... until, of course, Johnson came along.

"When Dallas became enamored with (Terrell Owens) and dropped Keyshawn, we thought we had a chance at the best guy of the entire group of receivers," said Henning.

It wasn't just that Johnson was productive, with the Panthers counting only one drop by him last season; it's that he seems to have matured. Those aren't my words. They're the words of general manager Marty Hurney, who interviewed Johnson before offering him a contract and who believes the temperament of the Panthers' newest wide receiver can help the club on and off the field.

"I think Keyshawn and Steve Smith have one thing in common," said Hurney, "and that's that they both want to win and understand when you win good things happen. They're both 'team guys,' and that's a bond that will keep everyone together."

That might explain why Smith telephoned Johnson before his signing with the Panthers. In essence, he told Keyshawn he should join the Panthers, and he had to know it would cost him catches. But he also had to know it would improve his chances of reaching the Super Bowl again.

"We like what we have here," said Henning. "This is one of those moves that could help you sleep at night."

DlocRoth
06-01-2006, 08:52 AM
Harrison and Wayne?

T.O. and Glenn?

knuckleboner
06-01-2006, 09:45 AM
santana moss & randal-el? (or brandon lloyd...)

POJO_Risin
06-01-2006, 04:47 PM
Harrison and Wayne...yes...

TO and Glenn...maybe equals...

Moss and Randle El...no way...and Lloyd...triple no...

VHdamaco
06-01-2006, 11:40 PM
triple no on the moss, randle el and lloyd?...

its the smurfs of 2006, except these guys are a hell of a lot faster and more talented than the old smurfs...

assuming brunell can get the ball to them (i know, a BIG if) we're gonna put up HUGE numbers this season...

Troy
06-02-2006, 03:03 AM
Pojo... you let me down. Do I even need to mention my vote for best receiving tandem??? ;)

knuckleboner
06-02-2006, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by VHdamaco
we're gonna put up HUGE numbers this season...

damn straight.

gotta have a healthy respect for portis and the ground game. then add in cooley coming out of the backfield/off the line?
you can't stop the skins passing attack. (unless your name is brunell. then, yes, maybe you can...)

ALinChainz
06-02-2006, 12:37 PM
According to the numbers, I'd say that Boldin and Fitzgerald are the best at the moment.

VHdamaco
06-02-2006, 05:43 PM
thats right...

i totally forgot about those two, then again, being out in AZ, it ain't hard to forget about them...

if they can get a decent line in front of leinart when he takes over, look the fuck out...

jcook11
06-02-2006, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by POJO_Risin

More than likely PJR....Let's see how "Me!shaun" acts.

Moss and Porter "Just Win Baby!" :cool:

POJO_Risin
06-03-2006, 10:37 AM
I cannot even fathom that actual Redskin fans bastardized the Smurfs...by bringing up Randle El and Lloyd in the same breath...

utterly fucking ridiculous...

guys like 5'9 Gary Clark...

guys like 5'10 Charlie Brown...more a fun bunch guy...but fits the smurf mold...

guys like 5'11 Ricky Sanders...

And Monk as Papa Smurf...6'3"...but always the constant on that team...

when Clark, Sanders and Papa Smurf were roaming at the same time...to say that those three guys...

A. Have more talent (all those guys had 1,000 yard years, and one year...Clark, Sanders and Monk had 1,000 in the SAME year--when you consider Randle El has never had 1,000 yards, or even 50 receptions in a season...and neither has Lloyd)

B. Are faster (relative considering speed wasn't necesarily an issue with those guys...I think overall...players are faster now)

C. Moss...is as good or better than some of those "Smurfs." The other two...are far from it...and Brunell certainly will be a reason...

No offense here...but that statement is totally erroneous...

I get being hopeful...but don't rot out your tradition bro...

lmfao...

POJO_Risin
06-03-2006, 10:50 AM
Okay...here are the numbers...from last year...

Key and SS: 174 receptions for 2401 yards

Holt and Bruce: 138 receptions for 1856 yards

Holt and Curtis: 162 reception for 2132 yards

Harrison and Wayne: 165 receptions for 2201 yards

Wow...

Fitz and Boldin: 205 receptions for 2,811 yards...

It would be something to see Warner stay healthy for a year out there...

SA ME WHO
06-03-2006, 11:09 AM
Hey don't forget about the Browns sizzling tandem of Braylon Edwards and .............................................. um ....................................... um ................................ wide receiver B (whoever gets the job that week, usually Dennis Northcutt).

Braylon could be something special if he stays healthy, has a servicable QB to get him the ball, and the Browns have enough of a threat of a running game to keep him from getting double-teamed every play of the year. Definitely would love to see the Browns pick up a free agent veteran soon though to take workload off of Edwards and also school him on some of the finer points of being an NFL receiever. Hopefully KW II can figure out a way to actually make it on the field (or for longer than a cup of coffee) to help too.

Being a Browns fan RULES!

POJO_Risin
06-03-2006, 11:15 AM
They picked up a veteran receiving in Joe Jurevicious...

POJO_Risin
06-03-2006, 11:18 AM
check out the Browns chatter...

unchainme's thread...in this forum...

SA ME WHO
06-03-2006, 11:30 AM
They picked up a veteran receiving in Joe Jurevicious...

You know, I did know about that because I recall telling someone who lost him that we got 3 Ohio boys back this year (including Jurevicius), but I completely forgot about that because I haven't talked about the Browns in quite a while. (Go figure!)

Yeah, and he's a hell of a stand-up guy too, so, that could be really good for Braylon.

POJO_Risin
06-03-2006, 11:50 AM
Edwards will be outstanding...

but I think people are really forgetting about little Winslow...

if he gets back anywhere close to what he was...they've got 2 BIG TIME weapons...

not sold on Frye though...

SA ME WHO
06-03-2006, 12:06 PM
check out the Browns chatter...

unchainme's thread...in this forum...

Thanks for the heads up.

POJO_Risin
06-03-2006, 12:07 PM
He'll be thrilled to have another Browns fan...

as a Clevelander...who likes all things Ohio...

except for the Browns...me that is...

well...

like I said...he'll be thrilled...

VHdamaco
06-03-2006, 12:39 PM
I cannot even fathom that actual Redskin fans bastardized the Smurfs...by bringing up Randle El and Lloyd in the same breath...

utterly fucking ridiculous...

guys like 5'9 Gary Clark...

guys like 5'10 Charlie Brown...more a fun bunch guy...but fits the smurf mold...

guys like 5'11 Ricky Sanders...

And Monk as Papa Smurf...6'3"...but always the constant on that team...

when Clark, Sanders and Papa Smurf were roaming at the same time...to say that those three guys...

A. Have more talent (all those guys had 1,000 yard years, and one year...Clark, Sanders and Monk had 1,000 in the SAME year--when you consider Randle El has never had 1,000 yards, or even 50 receptions in a season...and neither has Lloyd)

B. Are faster (relative considering speed wasn't necesarily an issue with those guys...I think overall...players are faster now)

C. Moss...is as good or better than some of those "Smurfs." The other two...are far from it...and Brunell certainly will be a reason...

No offense here...but that statement is totally erroneous...

I get being hopeful...but don't rot out your tradition bro...

lmfao...

i wasn't trying to bastardize the smurfs man, i was way too young to know what they were all about (and i was lazy and didn't compare stats, so good call out on that one) and i made a foolish statement based on a) the highlight reels i've seen from those three and 2) the potential that they have to do some major damage...

like i've said before poj, i like to think i know what im talking about, but you know exactly what the fuck is up man...

i should've learned my lesson the last time i made a statement like that (when you owned me then), won't happen again, lol...

POJO_Risin
06-03-2006, 12:43 PM
lmfao...don't worry bro...

it doesn't make me any money whatsoever...

I've got no problem with someone being excited about their team...

gamaradiation2
06-09-2006, 12:27 PM
I'm a huge panthers fan, but i would have to say that as much as i love smitty and keyshawn, boldin and fitzgerald r the best tandem. As far as cornerbacks go it's ken lucas and chris gamble as the best no doubt. The additions of maake kemoeatu and damione louis make our dline sick with kris jenkins coming back from injury. Our corners will have the receivers covered like glue and then the dline wont give any qbs time to find an open man, but there wont be an open man, leading to us leading the nfl in int's. Carolina Champs in '06 baby!

ok i went on a little bit of a rant there but I'm obsessed with the panthers...

another thing if the carolina hurricanes win the stanley cup this year then the panthers will win the super bowl because the last time the hurricanes went to the stanley cup they lost, and the panthers followed that up with a super bowl loss the following nfl season.

Switch84
06-11-2006, 07:56 PM

;) :p What they have is the football equivalent to a bean burrito...a neatly wrapped up mess that tastes good, but will give you mucho gas and turns to SHIT.

POJO_Risin
06-11-2006, 08:06 PM
The question is WHEN will it turn to shit...

if Carolina wins early...and they will...it may take some time...

but I can't imagine seeing them working well together for more than a year...

unless they DO win a Super Bowl...which is possible...

hey Switch...what the fuck are the bears going to do with both Jones and Benson?

POJO_Risin
06-11-2006, 08:07 PM
Or did I miss a move somewhere...