PDA

View Full Version : Terry Porter's potential purchase of the Trailblazers no longer a joke...

POJO_Risin
06-01-2006, 07:41 PM
...and apparently were really lobbied hard by Porter before saying yes, after saying no several times...

Porter may get this done...and it would be about the most improbable purchase I've ever seen...

POJO_Risin
06-01-2006, 07:42 PM
A seemingly long-shot bid by former Trail Blazers player Terry Porter to buy Portland's NBA franchise just gained new life -- and a partner worth billions of dollars -- with Jeld-Wen Inc.'s decision to join his investor group. Jeld-Wen, one of the world's largest door-and-window makers, has in recent weeks publicly denied interest in owning the Blazers.
-- The Oregonian

jcook11
06-02-2006, 01:29 AM
Well at least he is a former player, that's nice to see.....For some reason I can't stand that fucking Mark Cuban.

Romeo Delight
06-05-2006, 01:43 AM
As much as I want a team here in Vancouver, that possibility is dependent on Portland (and Seattle) staying put I imagine

POJO_Risin
06-05-2006, 01:48 AM
And as much as you've sold me on the viability of Vancouver Flamma...

I still have a feeling that the NBA wouldn't have Vancouver at the top of their short list...if they even have one...

Romeo Delight
06-05-2006, 01:58 AM
I honestly;) think you're wrong there.

I even think Heisley wishes he was back in Vancouver right now.

The Grizz are dropping their cheapest ticket to something silly like $5 a ticket. They are not doing well there.

There are 5-6 franchises in deep shit right now. Watch changes coming fast and furious if the NHL can get anything done in the way of a TV deal.

Romeo Delight
06-05-2006, 02:42 AM
Harsh economic realities come into play too. Some of these troubled cities have real economic problems that aren't going away soon.

Vancouver has a pretty diversified economy and they, and cities like Vegas, offer sustainable options for the long term.

Make no mistake, Stern knows he fucked up personally with how he basically put a misfit in Stu Jackson in place her, and the draft debacle.

But, Vancouver getting another franchise will have everything to do with making the NBA move forward and globally. Vancouver does that. Look for a franchise here in 2008-2009.

And most importantly...the players miss The Swedish Touch:

http://www.theswedishtouch.com/

POJO_Risin
06-05-2006, 02:50 AM
You DO realize though Flamma...and I'm not trying to disagree with you...

but you DO realize that there is no buzz whatsoever for Vancouver. Stern did an interview just this past week...talking about several cities in the states that were capable of holding an NBA franchise if the Portland deal would fall through...and that there were several suiters for it...

first and foremost being Oklahoma City...and the intrigue of having a team in Vegas...if they could figure out how to do it...

Again...I'm not saying it isn't a possibility...but I think a lot of the buzz is FROM Vancouver...

I hope for your sake...you get a franchise...but I just don't see it happening...

lmfao...of course...I'm not part of the NBA administration...

Romeo Delight
06-05-2006, 02:56 AM
You are right, it is Vancouver making the buzz.

But, isn't that exactly how this gets done?

Ownership being part of every available opportunity, demonstrating time and time again the market research that they are THE CITY for the NBA?

Stern has to project an image of strength and stability, but you know that there are 5-6 cities that are in deep shit, with attendance in the shitter, even with freebies.

Canucks ownership will be in the mix each and every time there is a franchise in trouble. How long before Stern wants out of the handfull of migraine headaches that are getting worse (and they will)

Stern can NEVER publically say that any non-US city is a viable option for a move UNLESS the city has exhausted every available option imaginable.

Only then is there the political will to allow it to happen. If Stern can sell the need to expand beyond North america (merchandising, tv) to compete with other leagues (to the owners) and that Vancouver can help in that regard, it will happen.

He has to look like the troubled city has exhausted all efforts, as has the league, and convince the owners privately that Vancouver is in all of their interests.

POJO_Risin
06-05-2006, 02:59 AM
If the NBA continues on the current upward trend...up 15-20% viewership on all three channels they are playing on...

I would then disagree with you...

If they sign a major TV deal the next go around...and I think they will...many of those franchises you speak of will fix themselves up...quickly...

Romeo Delight
06-05-2006, 03:09 AM
What about the economic doldrums of the cities themselves?

Some are in bad shape and have little chance of a quick recovery. Their attendance is directly linked to that.

Again, it is all about the political will and appearance of fairness and due process.

Heisly built a $2 million practice facility to give the appearance of giving it a fair shake in the last year here.

However, he forgot to renew corporate boxes (ignored requests is more like it = FACT) and attempted a meager advertising campaign only just as the season started...no push for season tickets whatsoever.

The slogan: "Here...Now"

You ain't kidding.

I predict at least 2 franchises will move before 2010.

I hope Vancouver is one of their destination.