PDA

View Full Version : Iran Insists It Will Keep Nuke Technology

BigBadBrian
06-03-2006, 09:14 AM
Iran Insists It Will Keep Nuke Technology

Jun 2, 4:09 PM (ET)

By NASSER KARIMI

TEHRAN, Iran (AP) - Iran insisted Friday that the West will not deprive it of nuclear technology and must drop conditions on negotiations, defying pressure to accept a package of incentives to stop its nuclear activities.

Iranian officials did not respond directly to the offer agreed to Thursday by the permanent U.N. Security Council members and Germany that calls on Iran to suspend uranium enrichment. Details have yet to be formally presented to Tehran.

But Iran's top nuclear negotiator, Ali Larijani, said Europe should "leave out excuse-seeking and illogical conditions and come back to negotiation and cooperation."

"Iran is ready for any unconditional, just and indiscriminatory negotiations," he was quoted as saying by state-run television.

(AP) Iranian Foreign Minister, Manouchehr Mottaki, speaks with the media in Tehran, Iran, Thursday, June...
Full Image

Hard-line President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad also struck a defiant tone, vowing "the efforts of some Western countries to deprive us will not bear any fruit."

The state news agency quoted him as saying opposition to Iran's nuclear program was not based on a worry over nuclear weapons, but on the fact that the technology would then be open to "all independent countries, especially Islamic countries."

The united front among the United States, Europe, Russia and China - reached in talks in Vienna, Austria, - puts unprecedented pressure on Tehran to accept the deal.

Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said Friday that Tehran must respond quickly. Otherwise, she made clear Iran would face U.N. sanctions.

Details of the offer have not been made public, but diplomats in Vienna said the deal outlines incentives for Iran to suspend uranium enrichment and return to the negotiating table - with the United States included in the talks.

(AP) Iranian Foreign Minister, Manouchehr Mottaki, speaks with the media in Tehran, Iran, Thursday, June...
Full Image

Uranium enrichment can produce either fuel for a nuclear reactor or material to make a bomb. The U.S. and several European countries believe Iran is using its civilian nuclear program as a cover to produce nuclear weapons. Tehran says the program aims only to generate electricity.

Iranian state media were dismissive of Thursday's gathering in Vienna. "The noisy 5+1 meeting ended without a new proposal for Iran," state television said.

The United States announced earlier this week that it would enter direct talks with Iran if it agrees to suspend uranium enrichment - the first time it has agreed to such a meeting since the 1979 Islamic Revolution.

Mohammad Saeedi, deputy head of Iran's nuclear program, was quoted Friday as ruling out the U.S. condition, calling it "a big insult."

"Tehran is determined to conclude its peaceful nuclear program," he said, according to the Iranian Student News Agency. "The Iranian people will not allow us to suspend enrichment ... Accepting the U.S. conditions is almost impossible."

(AP) Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad waves to the crowd during a public gathering in Zarandieh,...
Full Image

But an Iranian analyst said the mounting pressure narrows Iran's room to maneuver, especially since its longtime allies Russia and China signed onto the deal.

"Such unprecedented unity in the international community, including the representatives of Russia and China, has put Iranian officials in an awkward position. They need more time to make a decision," political analyst Mostafa Mirzaian told The Associated Press.

Throughout the impasse over Iran's nuclear program, Russia and China - major trading partners for Iran - have called for a diplomatic solution. The U.S., Britain and France, who have sought strong measures, need the cooperation of Russia and China to take such a step. Either country could veto sanctions in the Security Council.

Russian President Vladimir Putin on Friday welcomed the U.S. offer of direct talks with Iran, saying: "This is a very important step, which gives the whole process a new dimension."

German Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier said he was optimistic Iran would accept the offer. "We are hopeful that the Iranian side, acting with a sentiment of responsibility and fastidiousness, will examine the proposal and that a positive approach will emerge," he said.

Link (Iran Insists It Will Keep Nuke Technology)

LoungeMachine
06-03-2006, 09:58 AM
I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me why India and Pakistan can have Nukes, but not Iran.

Is blatant hypocrisy the norm now?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't WE the only nation to have used Nuclear Bombs on another nation?

Nitro Express
06-03-2006, 01:08 PM
Iran knows most of the world is on their side and not on ours. Iran's enemies are 13 million Jews and approximately 250 million Americans. Add that up against a billion Muslims supporters not counting Iran's non Muslim supporters.

The president of Iran is an extremist but he's not stupid either. He's a civil engineer and probably took classes that George W. Bush couldn't pass in college. He's not just some random nutcase, everything he does is calculated.

Right now, the United States cannot run the military opperations it already has without foriegn financing. China and other US creditors are loaning us the money to run the Iraq and Afganistahn opperations. Money wise, the US Govt. is tapped out and now the dollar has an inflation problem. Not only that but the military is extended to the breaking point. We are in no condition to occupy two countries and invade a third without some major outside support which we don't have.

China with it's billion people population will side with Iran because they want Iran's oil.

Israel? Ha! Ha! Ha! Israel kicked ass when her enemies were not technologically up to snuff but things have changed. Iran has modernized and has the backing of the People's Republic of China behind it. Not only that, Iran is full of one of the world's richest commodities. Oil. Iran can buy whatever it wants and it has. Those nuclear facilities are under world class bunkers built by the best German construction firms. Why do you think the US wants to test bombs in Nevada again? Our so called bunker buster bombs didn't work on Saddam's bunkers built by the same contractor.

Israel is walling itself in and is under attack by terrorists in Gaza and the West Bank. It's got it's own problems. Hell, Iran is fighting Israel in a terrorist war as I type. It's in no position to take reinforced bunkers out that the US can't.

The president of Iran fully knows his enemies is a has been Jewish state and a broke superpower that nobody in the world likes anymore. Most of the world is on his side and he knows it.

binnie
06-03-2006, 01:25 PM
It's just hypocrisy.

The West doesn't want iran to have weapons because it doesn't think t can be trusted.

When was the last time Iran invaded another country to instal a new regime.

Question: since the second world war, what nation has bombed the most countries?

Answer: America

Now I am not saying "American's are terrorists", because I do not beleive that is the case. I am merely stating that it is unfair for one country to have such technology and then to tell others they cannot.

binnie
06-03-2006, 01:26 PM
I would also point out that we should not be worried about what our governments will do about Iran,

I'm more concerned about how Israel will react.

FORD
06-03-2006, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me why India and Pakistan can have Nukes, but not Iran.

Is blatant hypocrisy the norm now?

No shit....

Does anybody believe the Musharraf dictatorship will still be in charge of Pakistan 5 years from now?

And who will be running that country then? Possibly some "good ol' boys" currently hiding up in the mountains?

Al Qaeda (to whatever extent it actually exists) ain't going to be in charge of Iran ever. But Pakistan is somewhat possible.

binnie
06-03-2006, 02:10 PM
I also think we are all forgetting about Korea, if anyone is prepared to use the bomb, it would be them methinks.....