PDA

View Full Version : Ayatollah Threatens Oil Supply

LoungeMachine
06-04-2006, 10:59 AM
Iran's Leader Warns of Disruption in Oil

Sunday, June 4, 2006
TEHRAN, Iran - Iran's top leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, warned Sunday that oil shipments from the Gulf region would be disrupted if the United States attacked his nation.

Khamenei also insisted in a speech broadcast live on state-run radio that Tehran will not give up its right to produce nuclear fuel. He added that Iran is not seeking a nuclear bomb as the West suspects.

"If you make any mistake (invade Iran), definitely shipment of energy from this region will be seriously jeopardized. You have to know this," Khamenei said.

He added that if there was a disruption, the United States and its allies could not secure all the oil shipments that transit close to Iran's coast. Much of the world's oil supply passes through the strategic Strait of Hormuz, which links the Gulf to the Indian Ocean and separates Iran from the Arabian Peninsula.

"You will never be able to protect energy supply in this region. You will not be able to do it," he said, addressing the West.

Khamenei, however, did not specify how oil supplies would be disrupted and insisted Iran would not start any war.

"We won't be the initiator of war," he said.

Iran is the world's fourth-largest oil exporter and second-biggest power within the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries. Iranian officials repeatedly have ruled out using oil as a weapon in the nuclear standoff with the West.

Western nations have offered an incentives package to persuade Iran to halt its uranium enrichment program. If Tehran refuses, the nations threaten U.N. sanctions.

Enrichment can produce either fuel for a nuclear reactor or material for a warhead.

The United States and other Western nations suspect Iran's nuclear program is intended to produce weapons. Tehran insists it is only for generating electricity.

The supreme leader's harsh rhetoric came a day after President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said a breakthrough in negotiations over Tehran's contentious nuclear program was possible and welcomed unconditional talks with all parties, including the United States.

In a major policy shift, the United States agreed this week to join France, Britain and Germany in talks with Iran, provided Tehran suspends all suspect nuclear activities. It would be the first major public negotiations between Washington and Tehran in more than 25 years.

Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov welcomed the U.S. offer of direct talks, Rossiya state television reported Sunday. Moscow has offered to host Iran's uranium enrichment effort if it agrees to end domestic uranium enrichment, but Tehran has rejected that link.

Ahmadinejad said late Saturday his government would not rush to judge the incentives package.

Khamenei appeared to be taking a tougher line Sunday.

"That a country has no right to achieve proficiency in nuclear technology means it has to beg a few Western and European countries for energy in the next 20 years," he said. "Which honest leader is ready to accept this?"

Khamenei said Iran was not a threat to any country and that Tehran was not seeking nuclear weapons.

"We have not threatened any neighbor ... accusations that we are seeking nuclear bomb is wrong, a sheer lie," he said.

"We have no target to use a nuclear bomb. It's against Islamic teachings."

However, Ahmadinejad repeatedly has questioned Israel's right to exist and said in October the Jewish state should be "wiped off the map."

Khamenei insisted Sunday that the production and maintenance of an atomic bomb would "impose a lot of irrelevant costs," and a state like Iran did not need such a weapon.

"Unlike the U.S., we have no claim to dominate the world," he added.

The supreme leader told his nation that pressure on Iran to cease nuclear research stemmed solely from the United States and its close allies.

Khamenei said Iran had "sound and good relations" with Europe, as well as with the Arab world and Russia.

"There is no consensus against Iran. This is a lie by the U.S. and few other U.S. supporters," he said.

"Some 116 member states of the Non-Aligned Movement supported Iran's brave achievements in nuclear technology," Khamenei said, referring to a support motion passed at a NAM meeting last month.

NAM, the world's biggest bloc after the United Nations, comprises mostly developing countries and anti-U.S. nations such as North Korea and Cuba. Its support motion to Iran is purely moral.

"Consensus is among a few monopolist countries. Their consensus is of no value," insisted Khamenei.

His comments came as European Union diplomacy chief Javier Solana was expected in Tehran to deliver the package of incentives agreed upon Thursday by the five permanent members of the U.N. Security Council and Germany.

GUESS THEY'RE PLAYING GOOD-COP, BAD-COP

Dr. Love
06-04-2006, 01:14 PM
Threatening oil production is like asking to be invaded.

Dumbassses.

DEMON CUNT
06-04-2006, 02:01 PM
This will make gasoline even more expensive.

The extortion of the American people will continue and the neocons will play right along.

Little Texan
06-04-2006, 02:11 PM
The oil companies have a new excuse to raise gas prices .20 to .30 cents a gallon overnight. :rolleyes:

Big Train
06-04-2006, 02:20 PM
yet my alt energy stock just continue to rise on and on and on...love it.

DEMON CUNT
06-04-2006, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Big Train
yet my alt energy stock just continue to rise on and on and on...love it.

What have you invested in?

BigBadBrian
06-04-2006, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by DEMON CUNT
What have you invested in?

Probably the same thing I have. :)

I've invested heavily in companies of the "military industrial complex" also. :D

Anyway, Democrats don't believe in capitalism. You're not allowed to invest.

Piss off.

:gulp:

sadaist
06-04-2006, 06:42 PM
I remember in 1985/86 gas was .89 cents a gallon. We would pile into the bed of a pickup truck (it was legal back then), everyone would pitch in some spare change, and we would go to the beach.

I really thought gas would go down after we went into the middle east. Oh well, 1 more excuse to use to buy a motorcycle.

Big Train
06-05-2006, 01:18 AM
Without naming specifics, other than the obvious, ArcherDanielMidlands, I've invested significant money into several upstart suppliers in the E85 and ethanol areas in both supply and manufacture. However, they are all saying the same thing, that ethanol will be replaced in short order by a process which uses even cheaper field grass to process to biodiesel.

I'm looking at it like this. The media continues to harp that it won't be enough to fuel the ENTIRE Country, which isn't the point (Popular Science was harping on this which I found quite odd). The idea is to make a big enough dent in the energy chain to drive demand and thus prices for gas way way down. In the process, the car makers and gas companies will "see the light" in turn creating consolidation and buyouts of these firms for billions. So I get in dirt cheap, ride the wave (looking at double digit growth for several years), then a huge buyout claim in 5-7 years.

It's not bad from my view.

Little Texan
06-05-2006, 02:01 AM
Bastards... (oil companies)

Oil Prices Rise on Iranian Threat
06.04.2006, 11:47 PM

Oil prices rose Monday in reaction to a threat by Iran's supreme leader that his nation could jeopardize the world's oil supply if the West punished Tehran over its nuclear program.

Light, sweet crude for July delivery rose 90 cents to US$73.23 a barrel in Asian electronic trading on the New York Mercantile Exchange, midmorning in Singapore. The contract jumped Friday to US$72.33 following the kidnapping of eight foreigners working on a drilling rig off the coast of Nigeria. The workers were released Sunday.

Iran's supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, who has the final say on all state matters, addressed Western nations in a speech Sunday, saying: "If you make any mistake (punish or attack Iran), definitely shipment of energy from this region will be seriously jeopardized."

Khamenei said the United States and its allies would be unable to secure oil shipments passing out of the Gulf through the strategic Strait of Hormuz to the Indian Ocean.

"The price surge is a knee-jerk reaction to the remarks made by Iran's supreme leader," said Victor Shum, energy analyst with Purvin & Gertz in Singapore. He noted, however, that Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad had indicated a breakthrough in negotiations was possible, but rejected a precondition to talks.

Contrary to Khamenei's remarks, other Iranian officials have repeatedly ruled out using oil as weapon. Iran is the world's fourth-largest oil exporter and has the second-largest reserves in the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries.

The kidnapping of oil workers in Nigeria also reminded traders that the African nation's oil supply is not secure.

"These geopolitical events support high prices in the near term," Shum said.

Also Monday, gasoline futures gained 2.9 cents to US$2.2265 a gallon (3.8 liters) while heating oil prices rose 3.02 cents to US$2.0447 a gallon. Natural gas prices were up 17.7 cents to US$6.8 per 1,000 cubic feet.

Oil prices gained last week despite rising U.S. inventories combined with an expected decision by the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries to leave its output quotas steady.

OPEC's current production ceiling is 28 million barrels a day. Most cartel members are already producing all they can to take advantage of high prices. The lack of spare capacity around the world has led traders to build a premium into prices to account for a possible supply disruption that won't be offset.

Copyright 2006 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed

DEMON CUNT
06-05-2006, 02:40 AM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
Probably the same thing I have. :)

I've invested heavily in companies of the "military industrial complex" also.

Anyway, Democrats don't believe in capitalism. You're not allowed to invest.

Piss off.

Such a friggin' fascist retard.

He said that he was investing in "alt energy." Please try to pay attention.

I doubt that you have much to invest with. People in your demographic spend a majority of your adult life in debt... Barely making payments on your SUV and such.

What division of the military are your children signed up for?

Guitar Shark
06-05-2006, 11:06 AM
I thought it was spelled "iotola"? Somebody please get reballjets88 in here to confirm.

I'm all confused now.

LoungeMachine
06-05-2006, 11:10 AM
LMAO

and there's no such word as " iota " anymore...

Henceforth to be known as Ayotah

[ Like my dad always said......Hire a teenager....while he still knows everything]