PDA

View Full Version : Sandra Day O'Connor: US risks edging near to dictatorship

Hardrock69
06-06-2006, 10:07 AM
Sandra Day O'Connor, a Republican-appointed judge who retired last month after 24 years on the supreme court, has said the US is in danger of edging towards dictatorship if the party's rightwingers continue to attack the judiciary.

In a strongly worded speech at Georgetown University, reported by National Public Radio and the Chicago Daily Law Bulletin, Ms O'Connor took aim at Republican leaders whose repeated denunciations of the courts for alleged liberal bias could, she said, be contributing to a climate of violence against judges.

Ms O'Connor, nominated by Ronald Reagan as the first woman supreme court justice, declared: "We must be ever-vigilant against those who would strong-arm the judiciary."

She pointed to autocracies in the developing world and former Communist countries as lessons on where interference with the judiciary might lead. "It takes a lot of degeneration before a country falls into dictatorship, but we should avoid these ends by avoiding these beginnings."

In her address to an audience of corporate lawyers on Thursday, Ms O'Connor singled out a warning to the judiciary issued last year by Tom DeLay, the former Republican leader in the House of Representatives, over a court ruling in a controversial "right to die" case.

After the decision last March that ordered a brain-dead woman in Florida, Terri Schiavo, removed from life support, Mr DeLay said: "The time will come for the men responsible for this to answer for their behaviour."

Mr DeLay later called for the impeachment of judges involved in the Schiavo case, and called for more scrutiny of "an arrogant, out-of-control, unaccountable judiciary that thumbed their nose at Congress and the president".

Such threats, Ms O'Connor said, "pose a direct threat to our constitutional freedom", and she told the lawyers in her audience: "I want you to tune your ears to these attacks ... You have an obligation to speak up.

"Statutes and constitutions do not protect judicial independence - people do," the retired supreme court justice said.

She noted death threats against judges were on the rise and added that the situation was not helped by a senior senator's suggestion that there might be a connection between the violence against judges and the decisions they make.

The senator she was referring to was John Cornyn, a Bush loyalist from Texas, who made his remarks last April, soon after a judge was shot dead in an Atlanta courtroom and the family of a federal judge was murdered in Illinois.

Senator Cornyn said: "I don't know if there is a cause and effect connection, but we have seen some recent episodes of courthouse violence in this country ... And I wonder whether there may be some connection between the perception in some quarters, on some occasions, where judges are making political decisions yet are unaccountable to the public, that it builds up and builds up to the point where some people engage in violence."

Although appointed by a Republican, Ms O'Connor voted with the supreme court's liberals on some divisive issues, including abortion, making her a frequent target for criticism from the right. After announcing that she intended to retire last year at the age of 75, she was replaced in February this year by Samuel Alito, who is generally regarded as being more consistently conservative.

In her speech, Ms O'Connor said that if the courts did not occasionally make politicians mad they would not be doing their jobs, and their effectiveness "is premised on the notion that we won't be subject to retaliation for our judicial acts".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0%2C%2C1729396%2C00.html?gusrc=rss

jcook11
06-06-2006, 06:21 PM
Didn't Sandy cast her vote for DUB?

FORD
06-06-2006, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by jcook11
Didn't Sandy cast her vote for DUB?

Yes, she was one of the Felonius Florida Five. And I'm sure she regrets it now. As does Justice Kennedy, I'm sure. And Billy Rehnquist was probably trying to backpedal that one really fast when he stood before the Highest Court.

Scalia and Clarence "Uncle" Thomas, are of course, lost causes.

Guitar Shark
06-06-2006, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by FORD
And I'm sure she regrets it now. As does Justice Kennedy, I'm sure.

I doubt it. They're both known for their longstanding conservative viewpoints, although they were both considered relatively moderate on the bench. O'Connor's remarks in her speech seem driven largely to protect the judiciary, not necessary an anti-Bush stance.

jcook11
06-06-2006, 08:36 PM
Yes, she was one of the Felonius Florida Five. And I'm sure she regrets it now. As does Justice Kennedy, I'm sure. And Billy Rehnquist was probably trying to backpedal that one really fast when he stood before the Highest Court.

What makes you so "sure"...This should be good.

jcook11
06-06-2006, 08:42 PM

Why is it when a republican nominates or appoints an African American to anything you label them as an "Uncle Tom?"

FORD
06-06-2006, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by Guitar Shark
I doubt it. They're both known for their longstanding conservative viewpoints, although they were both considered relatively moderate on the bench. O'Connor's remarks in her speech seem driven largely to protect the judiciary, not necessary an anti-Bush stance.

This quote...

"We must be ever-vigilant against those who would strong-arm the judiciary."

is definitely named at Chimpy's extremist right wing base. And Chimpy panders to that base with his judicial appointments.

Guitar Shark
06-06-2006, 08:53 PM
The issue is whether she regrets her vote in Bush v. Gore, not who she blames for the attack on the judiciary.

FORD
06-06-2006, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Guitar Shark
The issue is whether she regrets her vote in Bush v. Gore, not who she blames for the attack on the judiciary.

There wouldn't BE an attack on the judiciary if she hadn't voted to install Chimpy.

Granted, the religious reich would still bitch, and Pat Robertson would still claim that God wants these judges dead, but I doubt it would have affected President Gore's judicial nominees at all.

jcook11
06-06-2006, 10:27 PM
There wouldn't BE an attack on the judiciary if she hadn't voted to install Chimpy.

Granted, the religious reich would still bitch, and Pat Robertson would still claim that God wants these judges dead, but I doubt it would have affected President Gore's judicial nominees at all.

It is amazing your ability to know what other people would say or think.

Nitro Express
05-13-2010, 03:19 AM
The Patriot Act basically made the US a dictatorship. The Executive Branch has way too much power and the US Congress has been put on the back burner. Too many executive orders and president appointed czars who run government agencies with no congressional oversight. We need to go back to Constitutional Law and stop having celebrity and political correctness over rule constitutional law. The Patriot Act and Health Care Law need to be repealed, Glass-Steigal needs to be put back into place and the Federal Reserve needs to be audited and be put back under control of the US Treasury Department. In other worlds, everyone is being regulated to death with the exception of the bankers who have taken over the Executive Branch. The White House should be renamed the Goldman Sachs House because that is who bought the place.

BigBadBrian
05-13-2010, 08:35 AM
Why is it when a republican nominates or appoints an African American to anything you label them as an "Uncle Tom?"

FORD is a card-carrying (pun intended) member of the Liberal Race-Baiting Organization: the US Democratic Party.

jhale667
05-13-2010, 11:09 AM
FORD is a card-carrying (pun intended) member of the Liberal Race-Baiting Organization: the US Democratic Party.

Said the resident- Repuke apologist with a straight face... :rolleyes:

bueno bob
05-14-2010, 11:01 AM

:lmao: