PDA

View Full Version : Record Companies trying to sue Site that sells Music.

Unchainme
06-06-2006, 03:51 PM
Warning over 'illegal' MP3 site
CD
Allofmp3.com sells tracks for as little as about 4p each
Britons using bargain music download website allofmp3.com have been warned that they are breaking the law.

Record industry trade association the BPI said consumers were breaking UK copyright law because allofmp3.com was not licensed to sell recordings.

The Russia-based site, which offers albums to download for as little as £1, claims to be licensed.

The BPI said it planned to sue allofmp3.com in the UK courts but that users would not be prosecuted.

Allofmp3.com is the second most popular download site in the UK, accounting for 14% of downloads, a survey has said.

BPI spokesman Matt Phillips said: "There is no doubt it is totally illegal.

"It is illegal for them to sell the recordings in Russia or anywhere else because they are not licensed, and UK consumers are infringing copyright law because they are making illegal copies from an unlicensed source."

BPI General Counsel Roz Groome on Tuesday told the House of Commons culture, media and sport select committee that allofmp3.com's claims to be legal were false.

"We are going to sue allofmp3.com in the UK courts - we are going to seek a judgement not against the users of the site, but against the site itself," she said.

Rock bottom

Allofmp3.com offers individual tracks for as little as about 4p, compared with about 80p on most sites.

"Because it is a professionally put together site it does look legitimate, although it should be obvious from the price that it isn't," Mr Phillips said.

"It is able to charge rock bottom prices as it doesn't pay the artists and record companies, whatever it claims."

The website says it is licensed by the Russian Multimedia and Internet Society (ROMS) and the Rightholders Federation for Collective Copyright Management of Works Used Interactively (FAIR).

But the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (IFPI) said the ROMS licence was not legitimate and it would not cover consumers in other countries even if it was.

It said criminal proceedings were ongoing in Russia related to allofmp3.com.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/5051826.stm

The Whole Music Industry has gotten a little out of hand about this Havn't they?

ELVIS
06-06-2006, 04:13 PM
No...

The claim is they are selling music ILLEGALLY !!!

Do you get that ??

FORD
06-06-2006, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
No...

The claim is they are selling music ILLEGALLY !!!

Do you get that ??

But they have taken it beyond all resonable means.

The RIAA Nazis not only want to control downloads, but they want to control what you do with music you OWN.

Once I buy a CD or a DVD, I own it. If I want to rip the audio off a concert DVD, so I can burn it to a CD for my car, I have every right to do so. Or if I want to take a two disc compilation like Paul McCartney's "Wingspan" and make a one disc version without the shitty songs like "Coming Up" or whatever that disco shit was.

I own it. Fuck what the RIAA thinks. If I want to burn a different copy to every stereo, tape deck, and IPOD in the house, they don't have a goddamn fucking thing to say about it.

Redballjets88
06-06-2006, 06:41 PM
very nice FORD

Kilkmaru
06-06-2006, 08:56 PM
He is right.

Shaun Ponsonby
06-07-2006, 05:12 PM
I agree with Ford, once you own it, its yours.

But selling it, I'm not for. Downloading in general I'm against. I hate downloading-I like the packaging. Sometimes I might hear about a band and download a track or 2 to see what they sound like, but then I'll go out and buy the album (eventually).

I don't like SONGS, I like ALBUMS.

thome
06-07-2006, 05:20 PM
99% of the stuff i've dowloaded is unavailable now or was never available to the public.It's BS.

Once you start charging money, it's a diff/ bag o'tricks.

Big Train
06-11-2006, 11:37 AM
i say good for them. They are doing the right thing here. This suit has nothing to do with consumers, it has to do with vast piracy.

Imagine if you were in a manufacturing business. Someone comes and steals all your inventory overnight, then sets up shop down the street the next day, selling all your wares. THAT IS WHAT THIS IS ABOUT.

They should be stopped anywhere and everywhere they are found. People seem to think the music business operates on some voodoo economics. If you steal the product (or whatever you call it to sleep better at night), an everybody else does, there will be no hurt to industry or commerce. If you have to, you blame the "evil corp. industry types" and whatever it is about that offends you, to again deflect from your own guilt in stealing.

Now, if you purchased it legally, then that is cool by me.

And Ford I do agree with you about fair use. That is driven by the dinosaurs in our business who don't see that record sales will not be the driving force of the music business in the decades to come. I'm against controlling it after you use it.

But you also need to see how troubling this is to us as well. People can blast music all over the world endlessly, in perfect copies. Only ONE person technically needs to buy anything nowadays. Can you see WHY that would kill the incentive for me to invest money to make and market a product?

Shaun Ponsonby
06-11-2006, 11:59 AM
Indeed...

Mr. Vengeance
06-11-2006, 03:17 PM
It's one thing to take an album and record it for your own use. But once you get people selling it and profiting off it, it's illegal.

As for burning copies for friends.....I have no major problem with. As long as you don't have them pay you for the dupe.

Big Train
06-11-2006, 07:44 PM
but if you can make 250 perfect copies of something for friends, between your friends you will never buy anything again. In theory what your saying is fine and is perfectly legal. But how the technology works and the possibility for abuse is troubling and killing the entertainment companies.

No bright bulb has thus far proposed an ideal situation.

kentuckyklira
06-12-2006, 03:38 AM
Originally posted by FORD

The RIAA Nazis not only want to control downloads, but they want to control what you do with music you OWN.

Once I buy a CD or a DVD, I own it. If I want to rip the audio off a concert DVD, so I can burn it to a CD for my car, I have every right to do so. Or if I want to take a two disc compilation like Paul McCartney's "Wingspan" and make a one disc version without the shitty songs like "Coming Up" or whatever that disco shit was.

I own it. Fuck what the RIAA thinks. If I want to burn a different copy to every stereo, tape deck, and IPOD in the house, they don't have a goddamn fucking thing to say about it. The music business should stop producing crap and promoting "stars" with about as much individuality and character as a McDonald´s cheeseburger and they´d start making money again.

I mean, they´re producing music that doesn´t sound any better as an mp3 than in CD standard, and then they´re surprised people copy it all over!!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Shaun Ponsonby
06-12-2006, 07:46 AM
The industry destoyed itself by going digital in the first place.

I'm scared of the time when CDs have gone the same way as LPs, and we're stuck with songs and not albums.

thome
06-12-2006, 08:17 AM
The thing about the free enterprise system is -In Theory- i can go to
wallyworld buy let's say a -swing set-.I can take it home add 500 bucks
to the price i paid and sell it to some doofass and it's all perfectly
legal Yes/No?Or i can do it in the parking lot of wallyworld.

Copyrite laws are bullsh!t, once you own it you can do with it as you wish
in my OP. So the manufacturers put copyrite laws on it to take away
your true ownership of said item .

That is what's illegal in reality to me? Depending always on how you look at the word Ownership.Yes /No ?

Mr. Vengeance
06-12-2006, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Big Train
but if you can make 250 perfect copies of something for friends, between your friends you will never buy anything again. In theory what your saying is fine and is perfectly legal. But how the technology works and the possibility for abuse is troubling and killing the entertainment companies.

No bright bulb has thus far proposed an ideal situation.

How many people are actually doing this? In the last ten years I've maybe made 3 dubs of albums for one friend. He's MAYBE done 2 for me.

I would imagine most people are the same. There are going to be those who abuse the situation, but I don't think it's killing music the way you claim.

The demise of music due to home recording has been predicted for 25 years....music's still being made.

Shaun Ponsonby
06-12-2006, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by thome
The thing about the free enterprise system is -In Theory- i can go to
wallyworld buy let's say a -swing set-.I can take it home add 500 bucks
to the price i paid and sell it to some doofass and it's all perfectly
legal Yes/No?Or i can do it in the parking lot of wallyworld.

Copyrite laws are bullsh!t, once you own it you can do with it as you wish
in my OP. So the manufacturers put copyrite laws on it to take away
your true ownership of said item .

That is what's illegal in reality to me? Depending always on how you look at the word Ownership.Yes /No ?

But you can sell the CD second hand, just not a copy of it.

thome
06-12-2006, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby
But you can sell the CD second hand, just not a copy of it.

You are correct, but i can copy it and give it away or do the laws say
no copy at all..?

If so they should just encrypt the cd or is that infringing on my rite of
ownership it's all so complicated i seem to be on the fence on this one....

Shaun Ponsonby
06-12-2006, 01:58 PM
Some are. I think the Scorps last album was, as was Rolling Stones "Live Licks". Its just a case of it catching on.

The_KiD
06-13-2006, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
It's one thing to take an album and record it for your own use. But once you get people selling it and profiting off it, it's illegal.

As for burning copies for friends.....I have no major problem with. As long as you don't have them pay you for the dupe.

Yep.. I agree..

KiD

Big Train
06-13-2006, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
How many people are actually doing this? In the last ten years I've maybe made 3 dubs of albums for one friend. He's MAYBE done 2 for me.

I would imagine most people are the same. There are going to be those who abuse the situation, but I don't think it's killing music the way you claim.

The demise of music due to home recording has been predicted for 25 years....music's still being made.

There are over ten BILLION downloads a month happening via P2P. Maybe it hasn't happened to you personally, but it is happening all over the world.

It's not even dubbing. It's so easy a track can be emailed for chrissakes.

matt19
08-08-2006, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by FORD

I own it. Fuck what the RIAA thinks. If I want to burn a different copy to every stereo, tape deck, and IPOD in the house, they don't have a goddamn fucking thing to say about it.

I completely agree, if you aren't making money off of it then they need to shut the fuck up.

Hardrock69
08-08-2006, 09:57 PM
Most of my aquisitions are through trades.

The Supreme Court ruled last year that recording, possession or trading of live shows is legal, and that the copyright holder is the person who recorded it.

As I mostly aquire live bootlegs, I am not worried.

I also download very occasionally, but usually it is only out of print or extremely hard to get (or otherwise unavailable) recordings.

I found a compilation ( I posted the links here somewhere) of soundtrack music from blaxploitation films from 1970-1980.

Some of the stuff is off legal albums, like Curtis Mayfield, an occasional James Brown, cut, etc.

But most of it is just instrumental soul music (funky bass, heavy wahwah guitar, and a string section).

Not only that, there is no track listing whatsoever, so even if I wanted to know, I could not identify 90% of what it is....and it is a 6-CD set.

I do not believe in free downloading of legitimate music for the most part. It is the same as walking into a record store and absconding with a cd without paying for it.

If I really want a legit cd, I buy it.

But under Fair Use, I can make copies for my own personal use, regardless of the RIAA crying over it.

Soul Reaper
08-09-2006, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by Unchainme
Warning over 'illegal' MP3 site
CD
Allofmp3.com sells tracks for as little as about 4p each
Britons using bargain music download website allofmp3.com have been warned that they are breaking the law.

Record industry trade association the BPI said consumers were breaking UK copyright law because allofmp3.com was not licensed to sell recordings.

The Russia-based site, which offers albums to download for as little as £1, claims to be licensed.

The BPI said it planned to sue allofmp3.com in the UK courts but that users would not be prosecuted.

Allofmp3.com is the second most popular download site in the UK, accounting for 14% of downloads, a survey has said.

BPI spokesman Matt Phillips said: "There is no doubt it is totally illegal.

"It is illegal for them to sell the recordings in Russia or anywhere else because they are not licensed, and UK consumers are infringing copyright law because they are making illegal copies from an unlicensed source."

BPI General Counsel Roz Groome on Tuesday told the House of Commons culture, media and sport select committee that allofmp3.com's claims to be legal were false.

"We are going to sue allofmp3.com in the UK courts - we are going to seek a judgement not against the users of the site, but against the site itself," she said.

Rock bottom

Allofmp3.com offers individual tracks for as little as about 4p, compared with about 80p on most sites.

"Because it is a professionally put together site it does look legitimate, although it should be obvious from the price that it isn't," Mr Phillips said.

"It is able to charge rock bottom prices as it doesn't pay the artists and record companies, whatever it claims."

The website says it is licensed by the Russian Multimedia and Internet Society (ROMS) and the Rightholders Federation for Collective Copyright Management of Works Used Interactively (FAIR).

But the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (IFPI) said the ROMS licence was not legitimate and it would not cover consumers in other countries even if it was.

It said criminal proceedings were ongoing in Russia related to allofmp3.com.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/5051826.stm

The Whole Music Industry has gotten a little out of hand about this Havn't they?

heh, and I use that website.....

at least allofmp3 makes you pay for the tracks....so it's not totally illegal....

at least they're not making us pay extortionate prices like iTunes....