PDA

View Full Version : Banjo playing

sadaist
06-07-2006, 07:37 AM
With the new Strummin album out, got me to thinking. Is the banjo hard to play? Similar to a guitar? I've never held one and know zero about them. Guys sound like they're shredding on them though. Very fast and intricate. Anyone here ever play one?

Hardrock69
06-07-2006, 10:21 AM
No, though I know a kickass banjo player here in Gnashville...he has designed his own banjo called The Stealth.

His name is Scott Vestal and he is fucking badass...

Seshmeister
06-07-2006, 11:24 AM
Things you never hear

"Oh her? She's with the banjo player"

sadaist
06-07-2006, 12:16 PM
I read that a standard banjo has 5 strings and is tuned to the highest guitar strings. Is it a bit Ozarks? Sure. But some of them hillbillys can jam pretty damn good on those things. Sounds like a fucking cross between Jake E. Lee & Yngwie Malmsteen. Just rednecked up a little.

ThrillsNSpills
06-07-2006, 12:37 PM
A friend told me they make guitars that sound like banjos but are in regular guitar tuning.

I've never seen or played one, but It would be cool to check one out.

Nitro Express
06-07-2006, 06:56 PM
My dentist is a banjo player. Basically they have a slim neck and small strings so hauling ass is easier than on a guitar but you finger pick the things and that's hard to do well.

BigBadBrian
06-08-2006, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
Things you never hear

"Oh her? She's with the banjo player"

Ever been to a bluegrass festival here in the States?

;) :D

Matt White
06-08-2006, 10:16 PM
Yup...I'm hittin' a bluegrass festival in MILAN in August...the day after seeing DAVE!!!

Matt White
06-08-2006, 10:30 PM
And...I've been known to play a "canjo" on occassion!!!

http://www.boingboing.net/images/lunchuke03.jpg

Seshmeister
06-08-2006, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
My dentist is a banjo player.

Ooh the irony...:D

sadaist
06-10-2006, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
My dentist is a banjo player. Basically they have a slim neck and small strings so hauling ass is easier than on a guitar but you finger pick the things and that's hard to do well.

Yeah, as a wannabe rock star when I was young, I got an electric guitar and a bunch of my favorite tablature books. Anytime it called for picking with my fingers I'd have to pass on learning that song. Or at least not play it right. I tried, but some people have a knack for it and some don't. Thank God there was no finger picking on Ride The Lightning.