PDA

View Full Version : Officer Refuses Iraq Deployment

LoungeMachine
06-07-2006, 09:59 AM
Posted: June 6, 2006 06:44 PM

Lt. Watada says he opposes the war in Iraq and will not fight.

Soldier Refuses to Fight in Iraq

A Hawaii man who enlisted in the Army three years ago and faces deployment to the war in Iraq later this month is refusing to go and may face possible court-martial charges.

First Lieutenant Ehren Watada, 27, released a statement through his attorney.

"I am whole-heartedly opposed to the continued war in Iraq, the deception used to wage this war and the lawlessness that has pervaded every aspect of our civilian leadership," Lt. Watada wrote.

Lt. Watada will accept an assignment that is not directly related to the war, but he will not fight.

Watada is the son of former Campaign Spending Commission director Bob Watada.

"I'm very proud of Ehren, that he's also standing up and saying we can't continue to do this, we can't continue to just be an aggressor nation," said Bob Watada.

Back in 1963, the elder Watada joined the Peace Corps to avoid going to Vietnam. He calls himself a draft resister who had strong feelings against the United State's involvement in the war.

"It's very, very sad for me because I had a brother killed in Korea, and I can really relate to families losing some member," he said.

"I don't think (my son) is a coward because what he's going through right now, it's going to take a lot more courage," he added.

Watada's position has people all over town taking sides.

"He saw things in Iraq that he was very concerned about and felt he couldn't support it," said Kyle Kajihiro, Hawaii area program director for the American Friends Service Committee, an organization dedicated to peace and social justice.

The AFSC is against the war and supports Lt. Watada.

"I think an individual has to have the moral fortitude to discern whether or not a situation is correct morally and legally and to make the proper decision and this is what Lieutenant Watada is doing," Kajihiro added.

Honolulu resident Tom Huff was a conscientious objector given a non-combat role during the Korean War. Though Lt. Watada has not sought conscious objector status, Huff applauds Lt. Watada for refusing to kill in a war he does not support.

"Well I think he is demonstrating incredible courage," Huff said. "He will be labeled in many ways. People are already calling him a coward probably. He will face court marshall. He will face dishonorable discharge. This is my guess. He's made himself vulnerable to all of these penalties now."

Lt. Watada's supporters started a website at thankyoult.org. At last check, more than 1,100 people added their names to an online petition backing the soldier.

Of course many are critical of Lt. Watada for refusing to fulfill his duty with the military.

While visiting a family plot at the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific at Punchbowl Air Force veteran Keith Baba of Aiea told KGMB9 he sympathies with Lt. Watada, but does not agree with his decision not to participate in the war.

"My thoughts are when you join the military, regardless of the branch, you make a committment to fulfill that obligation," Baba said.

Baba, who served during the Vietnam war, says he understands fear and misgivings about leadership, but said that is no reason to abandon fellow troops.

"You know, when you train together. You get ready and everybody is part of the team, it wouldn't be right if you turned around and two or three people left because they didn't believe in the cause," Baba said.

An Army spokesperson would not speculate on a possible penalty if Lt. Watada is eventually charged and convicted in court-martial proceedings.

Lt. Watada is stationed at Fort Lewis, Washington. He will speak to reporters in Honolulu Wednesday during a teleconference.

jcook11
06-07-2006, 01:44 PM
I see a ticket to Canada in hisfuture

binnie
06-07-2006, 01:46 PM
We had a similar case here a few months back,

Guy got discharged and put in prison for refusing to go to Iraq...

jcook11
06-07-2006, 01:51 PM
Looks like we have a new Cindy Sheehan

binnie
06-07-2006, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by jcook11

I don't get that, who?

FORD
06-07-2006, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by jcook11

No, what we have here is a man who doesn't want his mother, or anyone else's mother to be the "new Cindy Sheehan."

I applaud Lt Watada's courage, but my only question to him would be "Why the Hell did you enlist in the Army in 2003, with the Chimp in office and being only obvious from day one that he intended to invade Iraq?"

The fact that he did enlist under those conditions probably won't work in his favor, unfortunately.

The UCMJ does say that a soldier can refuse an illegal order, but does an illegal war make all orders associtated with that war illegal? :confused:

FORD
06-07-2006, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by binnie
I don't get that, who?

Cindy Sheehan is the mother of Casey Sheehan who was killed in Iraq in 2004. Mrs Sheehan dared to ask the alleged "pResident" of the United States what the "noble cause" was that her son died for.

Chimpy has never bothered to answer the question, so Cindy Sheehan still turns up now and then to ask him the question. Sometimes outside the White House, sometimes with a few thousand friends near the Monkey's ranch in Texas.

Kook's comparison is ridiculous. Cindy Sheehan's protest has nothing to do with Lt. Watada's objection to the illegal Iraq war.

binnie
06-07-2006, 03:26 PM
Ok, thanks for the clarification Ford.

I have to agree with you, why did he sign up in the first place?

thome
06-07-2006, 03:41 PM
So many people here on this site and everywhere always say -Oh Yeah, well if you think this war is so great and noble and that Bush made the rite decision why don't you enlist or are you all just talk-.

In no way can defend this action by this officer.

I certainly don't want to hear it said that this in anyway boosts thier position.Or that any action such as this confirmes that this is not a just action. It is almost the same as camping out with Sheehan.

It reminds me of, nanny nanny doo doo see i told you, the majority
is against this war..BS

binnie
06-07-2006, 03:51 PM
I am certainly not defneding this guy.

he made the choice to go in the army, he wasn't conscripted.

Also, if you join, you do so to serve, you can't pick and chose.

I am anti war, but I can't agree with this guy.

If he didn't agree with the war, he shouldn't have joined up