PDA

View Full Version : Jon Stewart vs Bill "The Gambler" Bennett on gay marriage

FORD
06-07-2006, 03:35 PM
http://www.crooksandliars.com/images/TDS-Bennett.jpg

Watch the video

here (http://movies.crooksandliars.com/TDS-Bennett-gay-marriage.wmv)

binnie
06-07-2006, 03:45 PM
Cheers for sharing that, funny and thought provoking.

Wish we had shows like that here....

binnie
06-07-2006, 03:47 PM
I am pro Gay marriage, always have been.

however, when people start talking about "natural human condition", I start to worry.

It should be allowed because two consenting adults of sound mind want to do it and are not hamring anyone by doing so.

It has nothing to do with whether you deem it "natural" or not, because that is a problematic term.

Guitar Shark
06-07-2006, 04:05 PM
FORD is seriously obsessed with this topic lately. I wonder why.

jcook11
06-07-2006, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Guitar Shark

H's using that bathtub meth he has been making again

FORD
06-07-2006, 04:13 PM

Maybe I should ask why you're obsessed with me posting threads on the subject? ;)

Seriously though, the mere idea of changing the constitution to discriminate against ANYONE is completely ridiculous, and as Jon Stewart so easily demonstrates here, the right wing nutcases can't even sustain their own ridiculous arguments when challenged.

Guitar Shark
06-07-2006, 04:17 PM
Why is it ok for you to suggest in one thread that Bush is gay or bi, and then object to "bigotry" here?

FORD
06-07-2006, 04:25 PM
Why is it ok for you to suggest in one thread that Bush is gay or bi, and then object to "bigotry" here?

Because Chimpy is a hypocrite, being a closet case and then pushing to damage the Constitution in order to discriminate against gays.

Guitar Shark
06-07-2006, 04:25 PM
I see, so you get to be a hypocrite because Chimpy is one. Works for me. ;)

FORD
06-07-2006, 04:34 PM
There is a difference. For example, Mary Cheney's sexual orientation isn't an issue, because she doesn't support the bullshit ammendment, nor do her parents.

Newt Gingrich is heterosexual, as far as I know, but since his track record of ending marriages under the worst circumatances is a matter of public knowledge, then it's fair to compare that to his sister Candace's right to get married.

So there's no hypocrisy on my part.

Guitar Shark
06-07-2006, 04:35 PM
Whatever you say, big guy. ;)

And I mean that in a totally nonsexual way.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Dave's PA Rental
06-07-2006, 05:23 PM
FORD, to me this is almost a non-issue. It's obviously clear that this is just another way to pander to the religious right to try and garner votes for the mid-term election. They know it will never pass...

Don't conservatives get their panties all in a bunch when the ACLU launches 'frivolous lawsuits'? This, to me, is 'frivolous legislation'...

(oh my god, I posted in the Frontline!)

Dave's PA Rental
06-07-2006, 05:25 PM
PS, Jon Stewart handed Bill Bennett his ASS last night...

jcook11
06-07-2006, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by FORD
Because Chimpy is a hypocrite, being a closet case and then pushing to damage the Constitution in order to discriminate against gays.

You of all people calling someone else a hypocrite
HA!HA! :spank:

knuckleboner
06-07-2006, 06:01 PM
not bad, though steward didn't handle the polygamy thing as well as could be.

there is a definite, valid reason for treating same sex marriage different than a polygamist marriage, despite the fact that both "marriages" involve consenting adults:

marriage is currently a contract between 2 people bestowing certain rights and obligations upon them. that's it. (any religious connotations are add-ons for each religion, but whatever they do has no bearing on the legal requirements of a marriage.)

whether the 2 participants in a marriage are opposite or same sex, makes no difference, legally. the rights and obligations of the marriage participants remains the same.

but in a polygamist marriage, that would have to change. there is no judicial precedent in how to divide assets in a polygamist divorce, or dividing an estate.

yes, we could establish new laws and concepts, but THAT would mean redefining the concept of marriage. because legally, marriage is a contract between 2 people. period.

EAT MY ASSHOLE
06-07-2006, 06:11 PM

as Jon Stewart so easily demonstrates here, the right wing nutcases can't even sustain their own ridiculous arguments when challenged.

Well, of course, he can't sustain his argument...he's stuck on Stewart's show, with Stewart's audience, with Stewart's agenda.

Stewart would have melted every bit as badly if the situations were reversed, or if they had a neutral audience.

And, hey. if FORD wants to be able to get married someday, you know, whatever, its no foreskin off my bareback.

FORD
06-07-2006, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE

Stewart would have melted every bit as badly if the situations were reversed, or if they had a neutral audience.

You mean like he "melted" when he was on "Crossfire" with that bow-tied twit Fucker Carlson?

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ShL8TjaLvzI"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ShL8TjaLvzI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

jcook11
06-07-2006, 06:28 PM
Way to go FORD revert to name calling as usual

FORD
06-07-2006, 06:34 PM
Sorry... that was a typo. ;)

WOAHYEAH
06-07-2006, 06:34 PM
I'd like to see that debate, but without the interuptions from the audience. Not that I don't think Bennett was being given a fair chance, but because it would have allowed Stewart to crush him even further.

Guitar Shark
06-07-2006, 06:38 PM
You mean like he "melted" when he was on "Crossfire" with that bow-tied twit Fucker Carlson?

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ShL8TjaLvzI"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ShL8TjaLvzI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

That's the first time I've ever seen that. Jon Stewart gets major props from me for that appearance. Great stuff.

FORD
06-07-2006, 07:33 PM
Seems like it was only a few days after that broadcast that CNN announced they were cancelling "Crossfire" and firing Fucker Carlson. I guess even the AOLTimeCIAWarnerwhores had to agree with Jon Stewart.

Crossfire used to be a damn good show, back in the Braden/Novakula and Kinsley/Buchanan days. You actually had discussion, not this shout down "cut their mic off" crap that the newer shows (and clones like Hannity and Colmes) used.

Probably the short lived Press & Buchanan show on MSNBC was the closest to the original formula.

blueturk
06-07-2006, 07:51 PM
Well, of course, he can't sustain his argument...he's stuck on Stewart's show, with Stewart's audience, with Stewart's agenda...

Kind of like 95% of your leader's public appearances. And I'm sure that Dubya regrets the 5% that weren't carefully screened for non-sheep.

"I think if you know what you believe, it makes it a lot easier to answer questions. I can't answer your question." —George W. Bush, in response to a question about whether he wished he could take back any of his answers in the first debate. Reynoldsburg, Ohio, Oct. 4, 2000

DrMaddVibe
06-07-2006, 08:01 PM
I believe this to be a state's issue to decide, BUT who would step in if a couple were to marry legally in one state...move to another...where its not legal...and decide to cry foul?

That's the only reason I see the federal government stepping in to that bear trap. So far states are in a blinding hurry to lock it down.

I really don't care what they do behind closed doors. Giving them a marriage license is just another legal hurdle that they'll have to climb and pay for like any man/woman marriage.

EAT MY ASSHOLE
06-07-2006, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by blueturk
Kind of like 95% of your leader's public appearances.

Dude, whether you like it or not, for better or for worse, he's your leader too.

Suck it up.

blueturk
06-07-2006, 08:59 PM
Dude, whether you like it or not, for better or for worse, he's your leader too.

Suck it up.

He's not MY fucking leader, sheep.I didn't vote for The Idiot. And I've got something you can suck up.

"I can only speak to myself." —George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., April 28, 2005

EAT MY ASSHOLE
06-07-2006, 09:21 PM
He's not MY fucking leader, sheep.I didn't vote for The Idiot. And I've got something you can suck up.

"I can only speak to myself." —George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., April 28, 2005

Oh, he's not your leader? You live ehre? You pay taxes? You adhere to the policies that this administration sets up and passes through House and Congress.

He's this country's president. Everything you do in your day to day life - from paying top dollar for your gasoline to tying yellow ribbons around that old oak tree to bring the troops home to writing letters to your congressman bitching about Arctic drilling- is directly because of him.

Don't tell me he's not your leader. A couple years down the road your daughter is going to need to get an abortion, and there will be no legal means in this country for her to do so. Why? BECAUSE THIS GREAT MAN IS YOUR LEADER.

On that note, eat my ass. Whole.

blueturk
06-07-2006, 10:30 PM
Oh, he's not your leader? You live ehre? You pay taxes? You adhere to the policies that this administration sets up and passes through House and Congress.

He's this country's president. Everything you do in your day to day life - from paying top dollar for your gasoline to tying yellow ribbons around that old oak tree to bring the troops home to writing letters to your congressman bitching about Arctic drilling- is directly because of him.

Don't tell me he's not your leader. A couple years down the road your daughter is going to need to get an abortion, and there will be no legal means in this country for her to do so. Why? BECAUSE THIS GREAT MAN IS YOUR LEADER.

On that note, eat my ass. Whole.

Like I said, he's not MY fucking leader. He "leads" you.

lead·er (ldr)
n.
1. One that leads or guides.
2. One who is in charge or in command of others.
a. One who heads a political party or organization.
b. One who has influence or power, especially of a political nature.
4. Music
a. A conductor, especially of orchestra, band, or choral group.
b. The principal performer in an orchestral section or a group.
5. The foremost animal, such as a horse or dog, in a harnessed team.
6. A loss leader.
7. Chiefly British The main editorial in a newspaper.
8. leaders Printing Dots or dashes in a row leading the eye across a page, as in an index entry.
9. A pipe for conducting liquid.
10. A short length of gut, wire, or similar material by which a hook is attached to a fishing line.
11. A blank strip at the end or beginning of a film or tape used in threading or winding.
12. Botany The growing apex or main shoot of a shrub or tree.
13. An economic indicator.

LoungeMachine
06-07-2006, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by Dave's PA Rental

(oh my god, I posted in the Frontline!)

LMMFAO

That was my first reaction, too.

Stop by more often. We usually have strippers here. :cool:

knuckleboner
06-08-2006, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
We usually have strippers here. :cool:

to be honest, me and the former attorney general once worked out a little nudity in the ol' frontline. unfortunately i don't believe ms. ally kat lived up to her end of the bargain. :(

but it was a valiant effort, nonetheless...:D

EAT MY ASSHOLE
06-08-2006, 10:22 AM
Like I said, he's not MY fucking leader. He "leads" you.

lead·er (ldr)

2. One who is in charge or in command of others.

He IS in control of you moron. He and Michael Hadyn read this within moments of you writing it.

You may not LIKE it, but he IS your leader.

Dave's PA Rental
06-08-2006, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine

Stop by more often...

No thanks. I would kill myself first. To me, this place is kind of like the way Jon Stewart describes 'Crossfire' in the clip that FORD provided: It's not debate in here, it's theatre. It's partisan crap in here...reactionary, partisan crap. I don't see alot of common sense or compassion from either side when I do come in here. It's all too predictable.

I will say this: I am a teacher and thanks to Bill Clinton, i'm dealing with a whole generation of kids who now think it is ok to flat-out lie to get out of trouble...and thanks to GW i'm also dealing with a whole generation of kids who think that they never have to admit that they were EVER wrong about anything.

binnie
06-08-2006, 10:53 AM
I really don't understand why this provokes so much debate, what is wrong with gay marriage?