PDA

View Full Version : Bush Senior asked retired general to replace Sec. of Defense Rumsfeld

Hardrock69
06-08-2006, 09:06 AM
Former President George H.W. Bush waged a secret campaign over several months early this year to remove Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld.

The elder Bush went so far as to recruit Rumsfeld's potential replacement, personally asking a retired four-star general if he would accept the position, a reliable source close to the general told me. But the former president's effort failed, apparently rebuffed by the current president. When seven retired generals who had been commanders in Iraq demanded Rumsfeld's resignation in April, the younger Bush leapt to his defense. "I'm the decider and I decide what's best. And what's best is for Don Rumsfeld to remain," he said. His endorsement of Rumsfeld was a rebuke not only to the generals but also to his father.

The elder Bush's intervention was an extraordinary attempt to rescue simultaneously his son, the family legacy and the country. The current president had previously rejected entreaties from party establishment figures to revamp his administration with new appointments. There was no one left to approach him except his father. This effort to pluck George W. from his troubles is the latest episode in a recurrent drama -- from the drunken young man challenging his father to go "mano a mano" on the front lawn of the family home in Kennebunkport, Maine, to the father pulling strings to get the son into the Texas Air National Guard and helping salvage his finances from George W.'s mismanagement of Harken Energy. For the father, parental responsibility never ends. But for the son, rebellion continues. When journalist Bob Woodward asked George W. Bush if he had consulted his father before invading Iraq, he replied, "He is the wrong father to appeal to in terms of strength. There is a higher father that I appeal to."

http://www.rawstory.com/news/2006/Salon_George_Bush_Sr._asked_retired_0608.html

LoungeMachine
06-08-2006, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by Hardrock69

The elder Bush's intervention was an extraordinary attempt to rescue simultaneously his son, the family legacy and the country.

Wha?

His son is beyond "saving"

His "family legacy" is that of crimes, corruption, and murder.

The country will need decades to recover from his son's decisions and policies however...

binnie
06-08-2006, 11:02 AM
The world will need decaded to recover...

jcook11
06-08-2006, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
Wha?

The country will need decades to recover from his son's decisions and policies however...

jcook11
06-08-2006, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
Wha?

Ah can't you just feel the hate. Hey LOUNGE why don't you go crawl up FORDS' skirt and give him an enema so he can get some sleep :eek:

Nitro Express
06-08-2006, 11:01 PM
Ol Chenney and Rumsfeld ran wild as the chimp played president basically. Chenney and Rumsfeld will go down as some of the biggest assholes in US history. Using terrorist attacks as an excuse to invade a country for it's oil. Both men have ties to the energy industry and it's all about the money for them.

jcook11
06-08-2006, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
Ol Chenney and Rumsfeld ran wild as the chimp played president basically. Chenney and Rumsfeld will go down as some of the biggest assholes in US history. Using terrorist attacks as an excuse to invade a country for it's oil. Both men have ties to the energy industry and it's all about the money for them.

Oil ay then why am I paying $3.25 a gallon? :rolleyes:

FORD
06-09-2006, 01:00 AM
They didn't take over Iraq to make oil cheaper. They took it over to restrict the supply, giving the oil company criminals an excuse to keep the prices high.

Saddam was about to increase production, which would have lowered the price of oil. He was also considering trading oil in Euros rather than US dollars.

jcook11
06-09-2006, 03:10 AM
Saddam was a regular saint...We should make him president again

FORD
06-09-2006, 03:36 AM
Originally posted by jcook11
Saddam was a regular saint...We should make him president again

I'll bet most of the Iraqis would take him back right now rather than the mess they have. At least the electricity and water worked.

Saint, no. Stable, yes.

DR CHIP
06-09-2006, 11:15 PM
I love this stuff! In one thread the BCE is a fact and poppy Bush is running the show and then here W is running the show when daddy tries to get Rummy out....

At least Roth on TV gives some distraction!!!!

DR CHIP
06-09-2006, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by FORD
I'll bet most of the Iraqis would take him back right now rather than the mess they have. At least the electricity and water worked.

Saint, no. Stable, yes.

This folks is a quote of genius ;)

I am sure the left leaning media could give us a gallup poll to prove this as well....of course +/- 3%........

FORD
06-10-2006, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by DR CHIP
This folks is a quote of genius ;)

I am sure the left leaning media could give us a gallup poll to prove this as well....of course +/- 3%........

The Locals are giving their opinion of the occupation every day. It's called "the insurgency".

Like I said, Saddam might not have been Mr. Popular, but this shit wasn't going on then.

Just like it is in this country.... The Chimp can shit all over the constitution and invade other countries for no reason, and half the country looks the other way. Until the gas is $3.00 and their health care costs have quadrupled and it begins to hit them directly in the pocket book. Then he's at 29%.

jcook11
06-10-2006, 12:26 AM
If Bush Cheney or Rumsfeld have commited war crimes ,Why have'nt they been brougt up on war crimes? Answer because it isn't truue

Where are all the indictments that were coming at any momenT? Answer there are none "KEEP HATE ALIVE!"

FORD
06-10-2006, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by jcook11
If Bush Cheney or Rumsfeld have commited war crimes ,Why have'nt they been brougt up on war crimes? Answer because it isn't truue

Where are all the indictments that were coming at any momenT? Answer there are none "KEEP HATE ALIVE!"

Who's going to indict them?

The Republican House?
The Republican Senate?
The Republican Judiciary?
The Republican Corporate Whore Media?

jcook11
06-10-2006, 01:34 AM
Who's going to indict them?

The Republican House?
The Republican Senate?
The Republican Judiciary?
The Republican Corporate Whore Media?

Wasn't it the republicans that brought Nixon up on charges?

BigBadBrian
06-10-2006, 06:05 PM
They didn't take over Iraq to make oil cheaper. They took it over to restrict the supply, giving the oil company criminals an excuse to keep the prices high.

:D

Geez, You crazy-assed liberals can't even get your story straight!!! ;)

Some of you are saying he is trying to steal the oil. Some are saying what you said above. Most don't have a clue just as long as Bush is to blame.

Can't you guys have a convention and decide which lame-ass excuse you're going to use?

Hmmm?

:gulp:

ODShowtime
06-10-2006, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
:D

Geez, You crazy-assed liberals can't even get your story straight!!! ;)

Some of you are saying he is trying to steal the oil. Some are saying what you said above. Most don't have a clue just as long as Bush is to blame.

Can't you guys have a convention and decide which lame-ass excuse you're going to use?

Hmmm?

:gulp:

Who's the ones who need excuses these days?